SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#180493 - 08/21/03 06:26 AM Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
Dnj Offline

Let's face it playing a muscial instrument especially the keyboard, let alone an Arranger KB is a difficult but very enjoyable task by itself. Now if you include working an electronic KB with its computer driven operational system is a whole other prcess. I was just interested in how people are coping with these two processes during their musical journey playing the KB.

I was lucky enough to be playing a long time 40+ years and I'm 51 now...but Im glad because I just learned as technology advanced along the way letting me be part of that process as it developed. But I know many people havn't been playing that long and came on the KB scene having to learn it all at once..playing, and working the KB which needs computer savy also. As a pro,I'm still learning things every day as I go along. The PC has made it easier by bringing people closer together to help each other over the internet, somthing We
"OLD TIMERS" :>) didn't have but we did our best.How has it been in YOUR Journey to learn, Grasp, Play, Absorb, Comprehend today's Keyboard Technology as a player?
I'd love to hear about and I think many here would also and who know we all might learn something!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-21-2003).]

#180494 - 08/21/03 07:56 AM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Donny...
It's been a journey all right.
When all the clubs were downsizing their entertainment and budgets were getting tight (somewhere in the 80s)I was in a 4 & 5 pc group. In order to survive, I got my first arranger...a Technics KN700... not 7000, 700. It was a bear to learn and very primitive by today's standards. No diskettes, no saving registrations. As I remember it was somewhere around 11 button pushes to set up style, tempo, voices, etc.

I muddled through until the PSR 5700 came out and that was a real break through, although I had to add a second keyboard because I felt a the piano voices were weak and some of the other voices too synthasized.

Then a major leap forward with the PSR9000...but it was too big and cumbersome for one nighters. The 740 was next on my list...but all the codes to set up songs was too time consuming on the gig.

So, when the PSR2000 came out...it was like a gift from heaven and has been my mainstay for the last two years.

Adding to the confusion of picking the right KB were all the salesmen whose product knowledge was very lacking. But now, with my present gear and sharing of info from SZ, things have really come together.

Eddie

#180495 - 08/21/03 08:02 AM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I started out playing a Hammond organ and I was learning computer programming more or less simultaneously. I also work with computers and networks on the job, so moving to a keyboard was not a big jump for me, but I don't come close to using all the features of my keyboard. I haven't yet merged computer with keyboard. Still saving my money for a pc. I am looking forward to connecting them together. The o/s on my PSR550 (probably most keyboards)is weak compared to what I could do with a computer running XGworks. I would also like to buy Native Instruments B4 to get a good quality Hammond sound. From members comments here, NI B4 is of a higher quality then on the PSR2100, so connecting to a computer would be a better upgrade then going to a PSR2100. Not sure about expression pedal though. Uncle Dave, an expression pedal is more than just volume.
Starkeeper

#180496 - 08/21/03 08:10 AM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
Starkeeper Offline

One more thought. How would a person know what new keyboards are released, what they are like, what are the specs, what are the concerns,etc., without access to the web, Harmony Cental and SynthZone? I never heard of Genysis, Ketron, and didn't know Technics made serious instruments until I found this forum. Rant: Can't for the life of me understand why Roland doesn't get as serious as Yamaha about web presence.
Starkeeper

#180497 - 08/21/03 09:18 AM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
Dnj Offline

Yes.....Amid the Playing left hand accomp, right hand, reading music, singing, and trying to change sounds, registrations, at the same time while keeping rythym.....then on the other end getting into editing styles, sounds, sampling, etc etc is a challenge that will keep you busy for a long while. Some attack the hurdle, some say to hell with that I'll just play piano!!

#180498 - 08/21/03 10:00 AM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Let's face it playing a muscial instrument especially the keyboard, let alone an Arranger KB is a difficult but very enjoyable task by itself. Now if you include working an electronic KB with its computer driven operational system is a whole other prcess. I was just interested in how people are coping with these two processes during their musical journey playing the KB.

I was lucky enough to be playing a long time 40+ years and I'm 51 now...but Im glad because I just learned as technology advanced along the way letting me be part of that process as it developed. But I know many people havn't been playing that long and came on the KB scene having to learn it all at once..playing, and working the KB which needs computer savy also. As a pro,I'm still learning things every day as I go along. The PC has made it easier by bringing people closer together to help each other over the internet, somthing We
"OLD TIMERS" :>) didn't have but we did our best.How has it been in YOUR Journey to learn, Grasp, Play, Absorb, Comprehend today's Keyboard Technology as a player?
I'd love to hear about and I think many here would also and who know we all might learn something!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-21-2003).]

Man oh man ...you need an SD1plus .

#180499 - 08/21/03 10:14 AM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Starkeeper,
How does an expression pedal difer from a volume pedal? I know they are different midi CC comonds, but the end result seems to be the same. The volume changes. What are you refering to, and why did you address that comment to me?

#180500 - 08/21/03 10:51 AM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Difficult? No, not at all
I started playing keyboards about 2 years ago, it was quite hard for the first 3 months, but after that, a piece of cake.
Can't read notes and can't sing either (shame on me! ).
You say that playing the arranger is much harder then playing keyboard, Personally I find playing the arranger much easier.
You just have to play chords with the left hand and melody with right, and press the fill/variation button once in a while, With a little practise, It all goes automatic.
And I find playing keyboard/piano in general not that hard (It can be tricky sometimes).
I didn't find my Korg PA-60 hard to operate either, I'm not really a power user (I haven't gone through the manual yet), but I knew most stuff within a couple of days.
But then again I'm kinda into computers and stuff .

Greetz ,
Marcel

#180501 - 08/21/03 10:57 AM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
Starkeeper Offline

Uncle Dave,
An expression pedal and volume pedal are the same. I might have misunderstood you when you said that an expression pedal just makes changes to the volume. An expression pedal can be used to get a completely different type of feeling to the sounds. THe expression pedal can be pulled back (volume lowered) just as the chord is being pressed, that gives the effect of the sound being sucked in, the opposite of pressing hard (velocity) on touch sensitive keys.
Star

#180502 - 08/21/03 11:08 AM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
Dnj Offline

Marcel,

Glad to hear that your doing well playing.
Do you sing along also? Im sure your computer savy helped a bit too. I would think age is a big factor also for people....kids today grow up in a computer world .....we on the other hand did not and slowly evolved in to it.

good luck

Dan O,

What will an SD-1 Plus do for people playing the keyboard regarding this topic?
Please elaborate.

#180503 - 08/21/03 01:07 PM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
YamBox Offline

Loc: Finland
My journey begins when I was 6. I desperatly wanted to play piano. My parents where not rich so got an electric organ with 22 keys.

So two years passed and I was still playing that same organ every day. One day my dad came home and brought me Yamaha PSR-500.(probably my parents had to work their ass off for this) And what a heaven it was to have 100 tones and 16 styles...

When I was 14 I got my first job(Part time). Started to save money to get better KB. Well it didnīt go as I planned...

When turned 15 I got my first full time job and after few months saving I finally got the money to buy a new KB. There I made a BIG mistake. Went to first store tried out one KB for 2 minutes and carried home Casio CTK-550. And as started to play it at home I soon found out, that it was not even nearly what I wanted. But didnīt have guts to return it...

Two years later, when worked even all my summer vacations, I got even more money to buy a new KB. This time I called my friends father to help as he played KB once in a while. And after two weeks waiting, got Roland E-68. And heaven again

But then everything went up side down when I lost my job, girlfriend, credit, car and most of my friends because of 14 hour days 6 days a week. Got my self a real alcohol problem and finally sold my Roland to by booze...

Year later I shaped up, started to work again, paid all my bills and once again saved money to buy new KB. After one year of extremely hard working and saving, PSR-740. It was a real dream come true at that time.

But... Two years ago I hear me say "Do I really need to play", and guess what, sold it away.

About a year after that I have never been more sorry about anything and AGAIN started to save money and about a month ago I bought PSR2000!!

Not a story I would recommend to anyone.. But now going real strong, happily married, 8 months old boy, a real dream job for me and of course, PSR2K. Made the same mistake few times, NEVER AGAIN!! And God help if I do...

Never have and probably never will take any lessons. Donīt need to because Iīm playing only for my own joy. And sometimes to my family..

Lets keep playing!!!!

YamBox

[This message has been edited by YamBox (edited 08-21-2003).]

#180504 - 08/21/03 01:26 PM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
Starkeeper Offline

Yambox,
Your story is painfully familiar. Just imagine, as I have, where you would be (musically) if you just stuck with it.
Where you're passionate is, there lies your talent.
Star

#180505 - 08/21/03 01:27 PM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
A volume pedal and expression pedal are not quite the same thing, which is why they have separate midi commands for each. The idea is that you set the volume of a patch at a preset level using the volume control (or CC #7) and then use the expression pedal (CC#11) in order to vary the volume within that volume range without exceeding it. It's especially used by organists but it's also useful with brass patches for doing fade-in horn stabs.

#180506 - 08/21/03 09:39 PM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I understand the limits of each, but in practice ... you move the pedal up to get more volume...move it back to get less. You can get the same effect from either. Brass swells too. It's one of those redundancy issues. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
Fact is - they both control volume changes.

#180507 - 08/22/03 07:36 AM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Hi: Donny
Was learning, playing, working, the KB difficult, You ask ?
Hey I can't walk & chew gum at the same time,
Soooooo what do you think ?
Have a good one my Friend.
Denny

PS: I'm not even sure if what I do on the KB would be classified
as "playing the KB" maybe just making noise.
But it's fun.

#180508 - 08/22/03 07:42 AM Re: Playing a KB...or...Working the KB ..Difficult For You?............
Dnj Offline

dlstarry,

the first and formost thing is to make yourself happy when you play. It's the cure all
"MAGIC MEDICINE" and has been for me since I was 7 yrs old. To spread the "Magic" comes with practice and the love for music. In any event it's a Win..Win situation !!
Play Music every day!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online