SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#180339 - 07/02/07 04:52 PM Re: What the........ new computer
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
BTW: I can't think of one Tyros2 sound that I would bother coping anyway..

#180340 - 07/02/07 04:53 PM Re: What the........ new computer
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
So Chas, tell us more about your new computer..

#180341 - 07/02/07 05:50 PM Re: What the........ new computer
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
wow talk about a hijacked post......

Indeed the topic has shot off into another total different direction BUT, Putting personal opinions aside, Lionstracs has every single right to be defending himself after all the abuse and questioning that has been thrown at him by members who haven't even laid hands on his product or seen it in real life...

Nick

#180342 - 07/02/07 06:21 PM Re: What the........ new computer
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
So Chas, tell us more about your new computer..

Sorry Fran, I can't. I think it may have an illegal sample on it .

chas

#180343 - 07/02/07 06:47 PM Re: What the........ new computer
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not one of you have addressed the issue of, what do Yamaha and Roland and Korg do to prevent the outright theft of THEIR sounds...?

What possible incentive do they have to develop new sounds, when immediate piracy is going to happen...?

What trosha and Dom fail to acknowledge is that despite their infantile idea that sampling another keyboard IS sampling, NONE of the samples that they steal were got by going out and sampling another keyboard. Yamaha payed a LOT of money to VERY skilled engineers and musicians to record the samples in a T2 (sampling a Gibson is not theft of the Gibson sound, sampling a sample of a Gibson is theft of the sample... pure and simple). Ditto Korg, ditto Roland. And now they are supposed to sit back while some kid (that's what they sound like, but maybe that's just poor English!) copies their work, and profits from it (Dom's MS isn't exactly setting the world on fire with the soundsets HE created for it!)...

This thing stinks of the Napster MP3 days, when everybody decided that sharing music they had payed for with everyone in the world for free was a good idea... We have all seen the result of that fiasco. Copying music to share is illegal. Copying it for your own use is NOT.

Sampling another keyboard for your own use is legal (we think), copying it completely to share with everyone else is not...

Not one of you seem capable of putting yourself in the shoes of a person that DOES develop libraries for commercial use, or the person in charge of a keyboard manufacturer that is watching his VERY expensive investment in state of the art sampling for his latest product (remember, these guys are NOT sampling an M1 or a JX8P, out of production classics... they are pirating the LATEST models these companies make, ones they rely on for continued R&D money) go down the drain.

Perhaps, just like MP3's, you all think 'what harm can this do?'. Of course, probably not one of you HAS had a chart success, or commercial record released. Otherwise, you MIGHT have a different perspective on this if it were YOUR income being diminished.

But you would all probably be horrified to find a restaurant manager, or old folks home director secretly taping your show, and then using THAT as 'entertainment' and your gigs dry up. But I see very little difference, here (it IS 'sampling' your show!).

The harm will be when Yamaha no longer make arrangers (at least, TOTL ones), when Korg stop developing new arrangers, when Roland just give up (if they can't prevail legally against this piracy). Remember, as Dom points out, the arranger market is a TINY fraction of the whole keyboard market, and even THAT is a tiny industry by global standards. It will not take much to push what is already a barely profitable division into complete stasis.

And THEN you will all be sitting around going 'why aren't there any new arrangers, with new sounds and capabilities...?'. And then I won't be the ONLY one that needs a 'chill pill'.

I know this isn't what you all want to hear, and no, I don't develop ROM libraries for the big 3, or even have a single on the charts right now, but even I know what is right and wrong by the simple golden rule... If this was being done to YOU, how would YOU feel about it...?

Me... I'd be pi$$ed off beyond belief.

#180344 - 07/02/07 07:29 PM Re: What the........ new computer
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
Hey Chas,

Congrats on the new PC sounds like a real speed demon. You might as well test out a few Softsynths - vst's, Giga sounds ect... you might be surprised at your opinion of them vs the hardware synths you are used to. You'll never know unless you give it a try.

I don't like be the one to change the topic of a thread, but I have no problem adding to one that's already strayed. LOL

Diki, you have raised some concerns about the sound libraries that are being developed for the Mediastation, I don't pretend to know the laws on this matter, but I have to agree with the others that you are taking a pretty hard stance with your opinion of what is proper and what is not.

I consider Trosa a friend and I've had the privlege of speaking with him on numerous occassions and each time he was taking a short break from his work in sampling and sound design. What he has developed for the MS has been a very large undertaking, not simply connecting a usb cable and typing a copy command.

I would liken it more to the task of sampling a Steinway Piano. Carefully recording all 88 notes at multiple velocities and then editing various parameters for the best results.

When one samples a Steinway he is recording the sound of an instrument that has been painstakingly built to perfection by craftsmen, yet we have no problem with taking advantage of the fruits of their labor. And when one plays the NI B4 program I don't think their is any confusion that it is very good replica of the B3 made by Hammond.

But we don't accuse Native Instruments of theft from Hammond nor do say that Synthology is guilty of theft from Steinway, Yamaha, or Bosendorfer with their well known product, Ivory.

Am I to understand that the difference is simply that we can sample acoustic instruments but not electronic ones?

We can sample a Steinway Grand but not a Yamaha tyros?

Doesn't sound as simple an issue to me as it has been portrayed.

And if we're really worried that the big three are going to stop making arrangers because of lost profits resulting from this soundbank being developed, then we could start making charitable contributions to these poor companies.

Hey maybe a large enough donation would bring the chord sequencer back. LOL Just kidding. The chord sequencer actually sounds like a good feature, I hope Dom will decide to add it to the MS one day.

#180345 - 07/02/07 07:49 PM Re: What the........ new computer
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by richard_shiflet:
. The chord sequencer actually sounds like a good feature, I hope Dom will decide to add it to the MS one day.

Yes, then Diki will have to buy a Mediastaion

#180346 - 07/02/07 07:51 PM Re: What the........ new computer
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
50 bucks says Donny will own a MS for a week this year...

hahahahaha

#180347 - 07/02/07 09:05 PM Re: What the........ new computer
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Sorry Fran, I can't. I think it may have an illegal sample on it .

chas

LMAO

#180348 - 07/02/07 09:24 PM Re: What the........ new computer
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

But you would all probably be horrified to find a restaurant manager, or old folks home director secretly taping your show, and then using THAT as 'entertainment' and your gigs dry up. But I see very little difference, here (it IS 'sampling' your show!)..

Diki, will all respect, but I find this hard to believe. If that were based on fact then no one would even bother attending concerts if they already had the CD, recorded it from the radio or heard the gig before. It would be the END of all live gigs. Fortunately people will always prefer to see live shows to merely listening to a recording. Think of it, artists would be unwilling to even have recordings, legal or illegal, for it would kill their live acts.

Taike

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online