SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#180299 - 06/30/07 03:03 AM Re: What the........ new computer
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Diki, as usual you're very correct in that soft synths and samplers, along with software DAWS, are probably the best use of a high-end computer in a music environment. Truth is, I've done a fair amount of experimenting with soft synths and have quite a few freebies and cheapies loaded on the old machine. I play around with them occasionally using my A70 controller. I will no doubt slowly migrate over to a "soft" studio in time, as that appears to be the trend in project studios these days. However, there are several problems with this FOR ME.

1. I always have and probably always will, prefer hardware to software, no matter how good-sounding the software. Probably the engineer in me.

2. The quality libraries are very, very expensive and hard to justify outside of a commercial environment (not that musicians need to justify half of the crap they buy).

3. Only about half of the most popular software is "Vista" ready, although I'm sure this is just a temporary situation.

4. The older I get, the less inclined I am to deal with the complications and frustrations of software installation and implementation. That's one of the reasons that I continue to use a standalone recorder (Akai DPS24) instead of a computer DAW for recording.

Oh well, I'll think of something. I guess I could try to store a copy of Capt. Russ' equipment list; or better yet, a copy of each of Diki's posts in which a chord sequencer is mentioned. That should fill it up .

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 06-30-2007).]

#180300 - 06/30/07 04:32 AM Re: What the........ new computer
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
1.2TB is not a lot these days if your into the likes of GIGA Libraries.

Take VSL for example, the complete library won't even fit on the internal hard disk.

One computer won't even run it right.
The bigger they make them, the faster they will be filled.

Regards.
James.

#180301 - 06/30/07 05:30 AM Re: What the........ new computer
cgiles Offline

James, you have just summed up (brilliantly and concisely) the reasons for my reluctance to go the software route. BTW, thanks much for all the many super contributions over on the Korg boards.

chas

#180302 - 06/30/07 05:37 AM Re: What the........ new computer
Dnj Offline

In all honest who the heck needs all these sounds ???

#180303 - 06/30/07 08:02 AM Re: What the........ new computer
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
In all honest who the heck needs all these sounds ???

Probably the same kind of guy that would sell a PSR3K and get a Ketron... In other words, anyone who is looking for a better sound and functionality..!

Yes, of course, if you are not doing studio production, or need this for remote operation, rather than at home, it's not practical, but PLENTY of home amateurs AND pros use GIGA sampler and other soft-synths at home, to get a higher level of quality sound than they can get out of most hardware keyboards...

#180304 - 06/30/07 08:44 AM Re: What the........ new computer
Dnj Offline

I dont care what you say...smart ass cracks & all...
I still think its overkill.....if you want the real sounds play the real instruments .

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-30-2007).]

#180305 - 06/30/07 10:32 AM Re: What the........ new computer
cgiles Offline

I'm sorry. I just love it . I also love "Battle of the Titans", "War of the Worlds", "King Kong vs Godzilla", etc., etc. Keeps the board interesting when there's a lull in the T2 or G70 trashing. One great thing, I know you guys don't hold grudges and realize that it's all good harmless fun mostly motivated by our desire to sometimes actually be a smart ass.

chas

#180306 - 06/30/07 12:09 PM Re: What the........ new computer
Dnj Offline

Scott Yee Please come back!!

#180307 - 06/30/07 04:09 PM Re: What the........ new computer
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I dont care what you say...smart ass cracks & all...
I still think its overkill.....if you want the real sounds play the real instruments .

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-30-2007).]

Dnj, delete all those "fake" voices and those "fake" drum sounds. Now play and blow your audience away with the "the sound of silence".

Taike

Taike

#180308 - 06/30/07 04:38 PM Re: What the........ new computer
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am kind of wondering when Fran will step in and explain how good the GIGA sounds in his MS are (and probably, Donny has heard them!), and show what kind of person WOULD want 'real' sounds...

And, as someone who just 'stepped up' from a PSR to a Ketron, precisely for the reason that it sounds more 'real', I would have thought Donny would have understood EXACTLY what kind of person would like a better sounding keyboard...

Guess not....

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online