SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 >
Topic Options
#179940 - 05/18/05 02:36 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Rolandfan said the G70 sounds crap and gave it 3 out of 10. I have tested the keyboard in store twice. The first time was for over an hour and a half with it set up side by side with the Korg PA1X and the Tyros. next to those boards i would have given the G70 a 3 out of 10. I recently went into the same shop and they informed me that the operating system had been upgraded to the latest os. It still got 3 out of 10 to me. Now either those of you that have liked the G70 have never heard the other keyboards i have mentioned or Roland have some serious quality control issues as some of the units they are shipping truly sound crap !!!

By the way thats my truth.

#179941 - 05/18/05 02:41 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
please Spalding do you mind to mention what are you playing now?

weighted/semi weighted or unweighted keyboard.?

#179942 - 05/18/05 02:49 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
I have never heard the G70, but I recently bought a Roland RD700SX. The paino is superb, but I was surprised at how bad so many of the other voices sounded. I find it hard to believe that someone like Roland would throw in a bunch of substandard voices into a wonderful paino like the RD700SX as 'fluff' just so they can say it has a ton of voices.

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#179943 - 05/18/05 03:17 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Roel Offline

Did someone of the G70 owners/lovers make recent recordings for sharing ? (please give the URL)

It IS amazing how different players think about this machine. Spalding could have a good point about one unit sounding better than others. (Mine absolutely sounded like crap!)

Playing technique / ability to use features sure 'help' to build an opinion. The sound- and style-impression during intro's, styles, breaks etc. have nothing to do with player-skills : You like it..... or don't.

#179944 - 05/18/05 03:22 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
paulgee Offline

rolandfan do you know what version of the OS was in the keyboard. To some people this does seem to have made a difference (and too others not a lot).

Although in another thread spalding tested what the shop assistant claimed was the latest OS and it still seemed below par. spalding did you actually look at the OS version on power up to double check. Just a thought they may just have thought it was the latest.

All very confusing.

I am meant to be picking up one of these boards secondhand tommorrow, just getting slightly cold feet. I guess I really need to give it a fair trial. In the end I can always sell it on with minimal loss.

I have tried one with version 1.06 and had mixed feelings in the shop (love the key feel)- but then I find that no matter how long I spend trying it in the shop its no substitute for getting home and using it for a month. I just want to like it for the keys.

I hope spalding's hunch is not correct regarding quality control and hardware issues, this was in the back of my mind. The other thought was is it a difference between using headphones or monitors.

Guess I'll find out over the next few weeks.

Paul.

#179945 - 05/18/05 04:15 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I do not post this much as a rule but I am very passionate about this subject. Could there be G70's out there that are duds???? I have been playing and have owned arranger KB's for over 25 yrs. I can not beleive someone could listen to this KB and say it sounds like crap!! I am amazed. Maybe you do not like this or that, that I understand! But to rate it soo low ..... I'm confused??

#179946 - 05/18/05 07:20 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
to the genesys Offline

Wow!!
This discussion really underscores how much we have to demo keyboards our selves and not depend on others.

When listening to a review of a keyboard from another member we have to take in to consideration what brand of keyboard the person has and is using, the playing style of the person and the taste of the person.

I am just so amazed as to how the G70 has so much different opinions.

The only thing with going to hear a demo of the G70 now after reading these reviews, is that we would probably be listening with a more critical ear so we may not give it a real unbiased opinion.

You see if we go and demo a Yamaha Tyros, Korg Pa1x, Gem Genesys or Ketron Sd1, we have more or less read relatively good reviews so when we demo them we are not thinking --------- this keyboard is bad let me see if it can prove me wrong----. However, with demoing the G70 now, that is probably the attitude we will have whether consciously or subconsciously.

Also, we have to make sure that we know where to find the “good” sounds on the keyboards. Sometimes, they are not the first sounds you hear. They may be hidden!!!

With 192 mb of sounds, I fail to see how the sounds on the G70 can be useless. Unless there are no sound editing features on that board.

I do agree that sounds are important but for me, factory presets are not as important as what I could do with them. I want to know if I am going to be forking out a lot of money, I want to know that I can personalize the keyboard (sounds, styles memories and so on) to my liking and needs. The totality of the keyboard is very important to me.

#179947 - 05/18/05 08:15 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Ohrenarzt Offline

First of all, Rolandfan is absolutely right. I tested the G70 and it is probably the worst sounding arranger in its class on the market. Secondly, the wave Rom size of 192MB is not the physical size. You will see „when expanded to 16bit linear“ in small letters on all Roland brochures. The data is compressed and I assume the actual size of the ROM is 128 MB. Thirdly, you can fill 50 GB or more with useless poor sounding waves. The size does not say anything about the sound quality. That is like judging a book by the number of the pages.

#179948 - 05/18/05 08:51 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I was not going to comment on this thread...but what the heck..
Since I have not played the G70 yet, I was refraining from commenting on this keyboard..
But let me say a few things..If the G70 sounds exactly like a VA7/76..I will be thrilled with the sounds[I already know that the engine is more like the Fantom].
If the G70 has the same goodies from the DisCover 5 [Covers and Vocal harmonizer], I will be thrilled with the features..
If the G70 has the same VK organ engine[like the VR760], and it does, I will be thrilled again..

Put all this together with the feel and quality of the G1000...I will be thrilled to high end..
Some of the post surprise me..but most are from people that are stuck[I mean own] other brands..They are use to poor sample waves buried in effects[some very good effects], but still overdone...Strip the effects and listen too the Korgs and Yamahas..you will hear the real quality[or lack of it]..
Personally the only manufacturer that has better sounds than Roland to my ears[partially deaf in one ear], is Ketron..the X1 and the SD1 still amaze me[especially bass and drums]..
I am so tired of listening to the other guys built in fake vibrato in to the sounds[without control]..As mentioned by another, Roland has the Ace of spade with the aftertouch control..

Many have said the early G70's had too much effects on the presets[maybe they thought they had to sound like the competition]..but. the latest version release has corrected the presets..

For those that think the styles are useless, maybe your ears are worse than mine..

Roland Fan,If the G70 sounds like your Va...that's a good thing[3/10..come on]..maybe you were having a bad day..

There are also a few die hard Korg guys that think a little work in setting a keyboard to your taste is out of the question...You guys got to get away from the Korg PA 50 and play an SD1[and I an confident the G70 in a masters hands will do the trick]..

George has already stated a complete reversal of appreciation for the G70 with the new release[compared to his initial impression]...and George is not just interested in selling his stock[the REAL TRUTH}..

When I do finally get a chance to spend time with a G70...I will tell you my findings good or bad....but knowing the G70 is a collective ensemble of Roland's top products...I know it is good..

Just play what you like, but if you don't know for sure about a product..reserve your opinions , not to mislead someone from even trying it..

No dis respect was intended, although it might have sounded like it...

I can't wait for my chance to play this "crap" keyboard..

PS: The reason Roland always states the 16 lineral..because that is how the competition is measured..and size does make a difference...You may still get a poor sample even in a large wave, but it will be a lot more rare than getting a good sample wave from a very small wave size.

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-18-2005).]

#179949 - 05/18/05 09:02 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Ohrenarzt Offline

A lot of text – considering you did not listen to the instument discussed.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online