SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12 >
Topic Options
#179920 - 05/18/05 04:46 AM The TRUTH about Roland-G70
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I spent an hour playing the G70 at my local music shop here in South Africa. When I had phoned the store they told me the list price was $5000 but that I could have it for $4000.
When I got to the store it was marked at "$3600 cash". So the price dropped fast in just a week.

Ok bear in mind that my previous keyboard was a Roland VA5. And bear in mind these are my personal views..... :-)

The G-70 is a huge impressive looking keyboard at nearly 1.3 metres long and quiet heavy but I'm afraid thats where it ends. Its color screen is not as bold and clear as the Tyros. The screen is a big improvement on the VA5 though.

I played alot of sounds and I personally think they are useless (SHAME ON YOU ROLAND). Almost all the sounds are the same as the VA5 with just a few new sounds thrown in. I would like to know where did all that 192mb of sound go to. My VA5 had 48mb and yet they sound alike. I tried the flutes,guitars,sax,piano, even that much acclaimed piano called "The grand X" and I have to say they were crap compared to the tyros I tried out last week.

Look when I had my VA5, I enjoyed the sounds because I hadnt had those sounds before...After some time I tested a Tyros and it blew away the VA-5. Now I thought this G-70 would have sounds that could rival the Tyros but alas to me ....it doesnt even come close..simply because this huge keyboard is just a re-designed VA7 in a way.

Yes there are lots of editing features, the vocal harmony is better than tyros, lots of buttons, but sounds are most important to me......who needs a good looking keyboard if the sounds arent as good....(Tyros looks awesome and sounds awesome)

The drum kits are the same as VA-5 with a new new kits added.

The styles are improved over the VA series but do not have that "in your face" power of the tyros styles...

This keyboard is DEFINETLY not for anyone who does not like the sounds of the VA7. But if you liked the VA7 sounds, then you will like this G70.

I give it 3 out of 10 simply because it sounds crap.....I dont care how many features it has. I was so looking foward to this G-70....and Roland give us the same old sounds....

The G-70 is not in the league of the Tyros,Ketron SD1, Korg PAX...

Ok...send in those hate messages now ...

and yes... I will still use my username....

I was gonna get a tyros but I'm holding out for Tyros 2.

#179921 - 05/18/05 04:58 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
o3bor Offline

How can you say that only yours is 'the truth' about G-70.
Do you mean that people saying that they like the G-70 sounds is telling lies?
Each one can say his opinion, but no one can say that it's the only truth.

[This message has been edited by o3bor (edited 05-18-2005).]

#179922 - 05/18/05 05:13 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
sLOWER Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
...Rolandfan is right...

I'm using Roland Fantom X6, Kurzweil k2661, and buying Ketron SD1plus... I did try G70 at friends music shop...it don't sound a half as SD1,or any other synth in this category...it's so big...!!only!! thing that I like are keys... maybe some trumpet sounds...

sLOWER

#179923 - 05/18/05 05:58 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Turnip Offline

Loc: Linköping, Sweden
Ok Rolandfan,(maybe you should change your username now)that's your opinion. But to me the G-70 is much better than my old VA-7 and compared to Tyros,Ketron and Korg, the G-70 is the clear winner.

And that's what counts for me.
That's my truth!

#179924 - 05/18/05 06:01 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Roel Offline

Rolandfan,

I'm not sure..... but I think your 'truth' still is my personal view

#179925 - 05/18/05 06:34 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Indeed rather presumptuous to claim this to be the Truth about the G-70.
Although I have regulary vented my disappointment with this keyboard I would like to repeat once more what I said on its introduction: "It is completely useless trying to form an opinion on this board by playing it out-of-the-box in a shop, even with the operating system 1.10 installed"
all Roland keyboards come with crappy factory presets and defaults that do no justice to the real potential of their keyboards. I programmed on the G800 for years and what I came up with was lightyears ahead (so to speak) of what it sounded like just out of the box. Too bad that the G70 does not read the G800 user program settings. It does convert the G1000 settings, or so I have been told, which is a start. But the truth is you have an incredible amount of programming and tweaking to do before it gets anywhere. And even then I am under the impression it is not all that far removed from the VA series, be it that it has a number of ultra modern features and storing capacity that cannot be found on the VA series.
Apart from MP3 demos etc. I still have to hear the first G-70 live to impress me, and despite the numbers sold so far it would be a bit steep it seems to me to speak of a great success for the new Roland top arranger. Anyway in essence I agree with most of the things said by "Rolandfan".....

#179926 - 05/18/05 07:23 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by o3bor:
How can you say that only yours is 'the truth' about G-70.
Do you mean that people saying that they like the G-70 sounds is telling lies?
Each one can say his opinion, but no one can say that it's the only truth.

[This message has been edited by o3bor (edited 05-18-2005).]

What????

------------------
Precision Mastering
http://vilo4.tripod.com/precisionmastering/

Master Your CD With Us!
Ask Me About it!
www.vicente-lopez.com

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY! smile

#179927 - 05/18/05 07:58 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ViLo:
What????

Maybe my English is not clear enough, but what I mean is that I can understand someone saying that he doesn't like G-70, but I cannot understand that he states that this is 'the Truth'.
People (like me and others) saying they like the G-70 are not liars or incompetents.

#179928 - 05/18/05 08:14 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by o3bor:
How can you say that only yours is 'the truth' about G-70. Do you mean that people saying that they like the G-70 sounds is telling lies? Each one can say his opinion, but no one can say that it's the only truth.

eb3bor: Rolandfan never even once stated (or even implied) in his review, that his opinions about the G70 were intended as 'the truth'. In fact, he made certain to preface his review by stating: "these are my PERSONAL views".

I personally found Rolandfan's review 'well balanced'. On that note, I myself am looking forward to forming my own personal opinion after I have the opportunity to checkout the G70 myself.

Scott

#179929 - 05/18/05 08:35 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
eb3bor: Rolandfan never even once stated (or even implied) in his review, that his opinions about the G70 were intended as 'the truth'. In fact, he made certain to preface his review by stating: "these are my PERSONAL views".

The title of the thread is "The TRUTH about Roland G-70". I found this to be - at least - excessive.
Anyway, no problem...

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online