SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#179772 - 03/21/01 02:28 PM HELP SMF GERU Needed
Dnj Offline

heres my problem........

I'm using a Yamaha PSR9000 keyboard. I have a few SMF songs that I have used in the past on a Kn5000, Kn6000, Solton X1, and now the PSR9000. On all the other units the songs sound fine when played. But when I play them on the Psr9000 I hear a "Hand Clap" on the drum track that isn't supposed to be there
and some cymbal crashes in the wrong places also. I tried changing drum sets but nothing helps. Why is it reading the drum set wrong? There is no way to just edit the claping that I know of on the unit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanx

Donny

#179773 - 03/21/01 03:21 PM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
** "heres my problem........
**I'm using a Yamaha PSR9000 keyboard. "

That's the whole problem in a nutshell. Yamaha is the worst at SMF playback. Always has been. XG is no sugstitute for GS. You'll have to go into a computer and erase the note of the offending sound. Pain in the butt, but it'll work.

#179774 - 03/21/01 04:12 PM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
You've "GOT" to be kidding here....

Doesn't the Yamaha PSR9000 also include a GM (general midi) or GS (general midi extended) mode setting in addition to the Yamaha XG mode?

I'm sure Donny has tried switching his PSR9000 to the GM setting mode, right?

- Scott

#179775 - 03/21/01 05:10 PM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
Scottyee Offline

Dave, Frank, Donny, and all...

What a SHOCK to hear that Yamaha does not support playback of GM/GS standard midi files. I had no idea that Yamaha does not support the GM/GS midi file format. I always thought that GM/GS was the worldwide SMF standard with Yamaha's XG mode providing an optional further extended format option. I didn't realize that Yamaha choose to exclude the GM/GS mode in its PSR9000 keyboard.

Does the new Yamaha 9000pro also not support playback of GM/GS midi file format songs?

Scott

#179776 - 03/21/01 05:38 PM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
Dnj Offline

man am I confused with all this stuff. All I want is a way to eliminate the hand claps and have the correct drum or cymbal playing where it is supposed to like on all the other keyboards. :>)also as dave suggested how can I erase the offensive sound if the song plays correctly on my p/c ? it only plays hand claps thru the psr9000.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-21-2001).]

#179777 - 03/21/01 06:12 PM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
Scottyee Offline

Donny,
Sounds like you'll need to first figure out what the handclaps sound should actually be playing and then remap the handclap sounds to the appropriate sound.

Donny, I'm sure that you aren't the first person to encounter this specific problem. As Frank suggests, I'm sure there must be someone out there with a drumkit re-mapping (note transposition) software utility which will allow you to easily re-map your GM midi file's drums to match the PSR9000's XG drumkit with just a click of a button. Many of the higher end midi sequencer software programs support just this type of drum re-mapping utility.

Good luck,

Scott

#179778 - 03/21/01 06:40 PM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
Dnj Offline

I hope your right Scott I can easily email these songs to someone with the knowledge to do this drum remaping if possible. But they would have to have a PSR9000 to hear the hand claps right?

donny

#179779 - 03/21/01 06:45 PM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott - CALM DOWN! Yamaha does indeed support a GM sound set (NOT GS, that's ROLAND)too bad it sucks....big time. The XG and panel voices are not included in an SMF sequence, so anything that is commercially recorded will sound like crap. GM is the standard - NOT GS. Roland developed GS as a "super set" to GM, and Yamaha and Korg do not support that. Even Rolands own JV line is NOT GS - only GM, and the drums are terrible compared to the GS setup. So don't expect to see GM/GS go hand in hand in all things.
This is an age old problem - we all want everything to do just what "we" need. Too bad the manufacturers have developement teams that don't always agree with us! With alittle "tweaking" most high end keyboards can be made to perform pretty well, but they all have weaknesses - Yamahas'is the midi file playback. Sequences that are recorded ON a 9000 will sound much better than a standard GM seq from another user.

#179780 - 03/21/01 07:33 PM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
Scottyee Offline

Donny, your Trans Track brand midi files in question are truly GM (general midi) file format, right?

If indeed the Yamaha PSR9000 does support playback of GM format SMFs (as Dave suggests), then the songs (including correct drumkit mapping) should play 'correctly' on Donny's PSR9000. Apparently this is not the case with the inappropriate handclap sounds. Whether GS sounds better than GM is not really the issue here. More importantly is that Donny is hearing a totallly incorrect drum sound.

Is there possibly a button or page that needs to be accessed on the PSR9000 to put the keyboard into GM (general midi) mode?

Just a thought.

- Scott

#179781 - 03/21/01 08:08 PM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Donny,
Hire a drummer.
Send a file to me . oneils4@home.com . I will try and help you . I have a guy at work called the DR. Midi
DanO
Ps..To Uncle Dave and Fran.... I agree Yamaha Psr9000 or Pro is less than desirable when it comes to midi file play back .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online