SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#179708 - 08/12/06 12:41 AM WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Guys - I'll (try) to make this brief.

I Currently own: VA-7.

Need to upgrade to either a G-70, Tyros 2 or Korg PA1X/Pro or possibly one of the E series.

I play in a Duo (Australia) called CHI CHI
www.chi-chi.com.au

(Shameless plug over)

I need a keyboard that:

1. Plays midi files back at LEAST as good as the VA7 (sounds wise - epecially drum quality)

2. Has flexible live options (eg the PAX1-pro has 2 midi sequencers allowing you to crossfade songs like a DJ - WOW - is that the best feature EVER for a live performer or WHAT?????)

3. 76 keys with a great feel.

4. Preferably can sample OR has add on samples that can be manipulated.

5. Has some great styles or more importantly has styles that can be MADE great (ie flexible).

I don't get care what brand (I admit, Roland would be the least painless conversion for me as I have COUNTLESS Midis that have been tweaked to perfection by myself.

I was going to get the G-70 until I read the PAX-1 could crossfade Midis, connect mp3 players, and sample.

Is there something now (or on the horizon) I can get that will be "it"?

For example will the E-series (80 etc) come with 76 key versions in the near future (or will the Tyros???)

HELP!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179709 - 08/12/06 01:33 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
In your case go for g70 me thinks...

#179710 - 08/12/06 03:10 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
76 keys rules out the T2 straight away and also the E80 which is only 61 notes.
For midi the G70 or Korg would be better with 76 notes.
Adding samples (WAV) that can be edited the T2 is excellent at this. The Korg also has great quality samples available for it.
As for styles IMO the T2 or new E80 are best, but then again these are only 61 notes m8.
To sum it up if you don't want to wait for any new keyboard release and you need 76 keys then choices are G70 or the Korg if samples are your thing (I'm not sure the G70 can load in samples/WAV's?). You could wait until after Christmas for the new SD1 plus replacement which will be 76 keys and have loads of new features. I honestly think that this machine will kick some butts in the arranger world on it's release and I can't wait to see this one.

#179711 - 08/12/06 04:16 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
to the genesys Offline

You also may want to look at the Genesys xp module with a 76 key controller.

The Genesys xp can do everything you want to do.

#179712 - 08/12/06 04:17 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I own the PA1X. Go for the pro version. It meets all your requirements and has a true fully featured sampler built in.

#179713 - 08/12/06 06:45 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Thanks for all the replies so far....

so what's the new SD1 (do you have any release dates or links to previews?)

I can't get past the fact that the Korg has that dual sequencer crossfade, and samples (small sample memory though 32 meg isn't it?)

I would LOVE to know if you can load samples into the G-70 - at least that would be something....

anyone on that?

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179714 - 08/12/06 06:56 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Dnj Offline

Heres a great G70 forum...
Im sure you can get all your answers here.
http://www.selskabsmusikeren.dk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

#179715 - 08/12/06 07:06 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Thanks dnj will have a read - that seems new....

Spalding, are you deliriously happy with your Korg?

Does that dual sequencer crossfade dealie work as well live as I think it does?

How does the PAX1 go at gigs????

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179716 - 08/12/06 09:53 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
spalding Offline

Hi Hellboy44. I loooooove my Pax ! But not deliriously happy. Firstly let me clarify that i am not a gigging musician as you may understand the term. I play in church black Gospel urban styled music and occassionally produce and write for other artists within the church so i dont gig and i dont do this for money.

The Pax has a great sampler that works just like its supposed to. A great vocal harmoniser that works just like its supposed to . In terms of the dual sequencer, it works just like its supposed to. You can crossfade from one song to the next seamlessley and can load up a new song in sequnecer one whilst sequencer two is still running no problem.

The styles are marvelous and can be adapted and totally reprogrammed to your own taste and saved as a custom style. You can adjust the fullness of the autyo accompaniment with the simple movement of the sliders just below the main screen. I have had the keyboard almost 9 months now and i am only just scratching the surface with it. The only draw backs in my mind are ths korg stock pianos which i dont really like but i joined the Korg forum and downloaded some gorgeous acoustic pianos and have also purchased Sharps "Piano Assault" so that was easily rectified.

I dont use a lot of midis personally but i loaded the Tune 1000 software on my keyboard which has just tonnes of midi files on it and they play just fine. They can all be tweaked but i have never felt the need to as i dont really use themother than to put myself to sleepat night when i am tired of playing the board. I am a yammy fan and my previous arranger was the psr 8000. I looked at the T2 and was very very impressed but for my purposes it would not have been suitable as i do a lot of writing and composing live on the keyboard in a work setting often whilst the choir is rehearsing. I needed an all in one board and the tyros lacked a fully featured sampler and sequencer and the individual sounds could not be deeply edited onboard the keyboard without additional software and a computer and so sadly it was discounted. The Pax has RX technology that is similar to Yammies megavoices so the auto accompaniment i believe matches the T2 however the T2 wins out interms of its outstanding SA voices. They are gorgeous however as an all round great keyboard and specifically for the way i work the PA1X was the most suitable for me.

Everything you have asked for , I know you will find in the PA1Xpro (76 key version) so i have every confidence to recommend it to you.

My one definate critiscim however is the weight . It really is a monster and when i have to play out i gotta tell ya my heart grows faint !!! But even with that i am very glad that i bought it and given the available choices then and even today for me the Korg is still the only suitable choice.

#179717 - 08/12/06 10:01 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi:

My experience tells me that you will still have to re-voice your SMS, and does NOT matter what brand/model you buy, here is why, yo must remember that the internal map of your VA7 is not the same as the G70, of course, is compatible, but it does not mean that you have the best voicing because the SOUND MAP is different and larger too. Just you keep in mind what you may have to do.
I know this because I had long time ago a Roland RA95 and later I had a VA7, and I had to revoice the SMFs.

#179718 - 08/12/06 04:44 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Thanks Spalding, that's just what I wanted to hear!

I intend to use this board for Live gigs, (covers) and in the (home) studio (our originals) - so power and flexibility is paramount!

I'm a little nervous changing boards after so long (bought the VA-7 in early 2001).

After learning so much about the VA-7 I also must say it was one of the most underrated keyboards around!

If you know enough about it, you can make it jump through a LOT of hoops - and I hope the new boards can match all of it's sounds (and more).

When I played with the G-70 recently I noticed an improvement, but not the quantum leap I was expecting - however 1. That's more a compliment to the VA-7 and 2. I really didn't audition ALL the sounds and it didn't have an expansion board plugged in.

Hope the PAX-1's 32 meg of memory for sampling is enough (what's up with THAT???)

Any other suggestions or comments??????

It's betwen the PAX1-pro and the G-70 now!

(Thanks for all your help so far - great forum as always!!! - I'm a long time reader/member, seldom post).

Oh... does the PAX-1 have an easy to use OS - especially in regards to editing Midi Files? Apparently the G-70 Midi Sequence editing is so powerful it's almost like a low-end PC program!

I don't want to have to go running to Sonar etc whenever I want to make some edits/tweaks!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179719 - 08/12/06 04:45 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Oh, and Mdorantes - you're quite right of course - I didn't really think of that - I guess ANY new board will be a learning curve of roughly the same proportions - Roland or not!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179720 - 08/13/06 03:13 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hellboy44, I too, own a PA1x Pro, and agree with everything Spaulding said. I also have a Tyros2 but have had no experience with the G70 (used to have a G1000). I would stop short of actually recommending the PA1x only because I won't recommend ANY keyboard, only share MY experience with it. My own feeling is that the Tyros2 has the easier and more intuitive OS and that certain utility functions are more cumbersome on the PA1X, but in a live gig situation, especially if using the sequencing function, the PA1x may actually be the easier of the two to control. The touch sensitivity of the touch-screen could be better but is not a deal-breaker...you sort of learn HOW to touch it (like with a woman). The OOTB piano is not a problem for me as I think that it cuts through the mix better than the T2 which sounds better when playing solo piano. IT IS HEAVY, but after years of hauling around a B3 and (2) Leslies, I feel like a wimp complaining about the weight of a modern portable keyboard. Still, I wouldn't recommend it if you're over 80 . Good luck with your choice. My only advice; if possible, buy from a place where you can return it (or at least trade it) without too much of a penalty if you don't like it.

chas

#179721 - 08/13/06 02:49 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Thanks cgiles - that's a VERY honest opinion of your own board - just what I need!

Can either you or Spalding tell me if the PAX has velocity switching on it's samples (drums etc) - sorry for the basic question.

I have become used to the terrific V-drums on my VA-7, and (being a formally trained drummer since the age of 11) I can tell you they are (still) the most realistic drums in terms of sampling and dynamics I've heard.

It's really now betwen the PAX-1 and the G-70......

Anyone else?

(What a bunch of helpful responses so far!)

I'm trembling in anticipation of Fran's opinion (lol)....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179722 - 08/13/06 08:53 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
Go With Roland - G70 mate

#179723 - 08/14/06 12:48 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
spalding Offline

yes the PAX1 has velocity switching on the drums. The sampler memory has not been amassive set back to me but i dont use it as extensively as you might. The best advice anyone can give you is to go to a shop preferably that has the PA1X and the G70 so you can compare them side by side. Take some midi files with you and experiment. Best of luck

#179724 - 08/14/06 03:51 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Ok - I get the hint Spalding - you're on the money, I should stop asking questions and audition the PAX-1 myself.

There's not a ton of them around where I'm from, (which is why I asked all the questions) but I'll be doing just that in the coming weeks.

I've come across some revolutionary keyboards in my research for the "perfect" keyboard.

eg - I'd never even HEARD of the Mediastation X-76 - here'a a cut n paste from an experienced user (it's a bit long maybe...sorry).

I can't BELIEVE the features and innovation this thing has!!

If it were readily auditionable (it's a word!) I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Anyway - thanks for all your help everyone - I'll let you know what I get when the time comes....

For now I'll keep reading (as usual) all the enlightening posts in this great forum!

1. The Mediastation X-76 supports 1024+ voices of polyphony. In future upgrades polyphony will be 2000+ voices.

2. The Mediastations polyphony unlike the Oasys does not suffer when you utilize effects, sequencer files, or audio tracks.

3. The Mediastation has a combination DVD/CD-RW drive and supports MIDI files, MP3, MP4, WAV, CD, DVIX, Audio, and Video files.

4. The X-76 can both read and write CD and DVD files.

5. The X-76 comes with 512 MB of RAM, supports up to 3 GB of sample RAM, and supports 24 BIT Gigasampler and WAV files. The Expanded X-76 comes standard with 1024 MB of RAM, expandable to 3 GB.

6. The X-76 can sample and import files in 24 BIT. The Oasys' sample rate is 48K at 16 BIT, not 24 BIT!

7. The X-76 features arranger styles which the Oasys currently does not support. The X-76 arranger section can play back WAV direct from disk or MIDI files, not just arranger files.

8. The X-76 allows the user to playback MP3, CD audio, style files, drum loops, MIDI, and Video files and alter their tempo, pitch, and playback speed in real time.

9. The X-76 does real time BPM detection. This is a great feature if you want to match an audio file with MIDI files and aren't certain what BPM the file was originally recorded at.

10. The X-76 supports with LINUX ARDUR DAW, 256+ tracks of 24 BIT audio, the Oasys just 16 tracks of 16 BIT audio.

11. The X-76 supports with MUSE SEQ, unlimited Audio-MIDI tracks of sequencing plus VST support, the Oasys is fixed at 16 and does not support VST.

12. The Lionstracs utilizes multiple cards for processing so polyphony does not suffer when you use lots of FX or do extensive audio, the Oasys shares a single processor and DSP so polyphony suffers greatly when the processor is taxed.

13. The Oasys has a larger 10.4" TFT color screen but its resolution is low (640x480), the Lionstracs has a better resolution 8.4" TFT (800x600) Silicon Motion 3D VGA. Korg's resolution can't be upgraded because its limited by its processors fixed speed.

14. The X-76 has an SVGA and Video output so you can connect the X-76 up to any monitor you prefer with a resolution up to 1280 x 1024. In fact the X-76 can drive up to three monitors running three different desktops at the same time. Future upgrades will support higher screen resolutions.

15. The X-76 has a PC keyboard and PC mouse port so you can edit, name, save, etc., using the keyboard or mouse.

16. The X-76 has a LAN port as well as USB ports and can be connected directly to the Internet and used to surf the web, update software, or download files directly to the X-76.

17. The X-76 has two Media Players with independent controls that can play back sequences, audio files, video files, MP3's, and more. The players can run together or separately and the BPM and Pitch of each player can be set independently.

18. The X-76 Expanded comes with Native Instrument B4 installed. B4 functions can be controlled from the X-76's real time controls and/or from the touch screen.

19. The X-76 supports multiple VST's and other software. The Oasys can't run these applications.

20. The standard X-76 has (2) open PCI slots plus (1) open AGP slot. The Expanded X-76 comes with (2) open PCI slots and AGP card already installed.

21. All four Main and Cue outputs of the X-76 are XLR balanced, four 1/4" outputs are also standard. The X-76 Expanded has both 1/4" and XLR audio inputs.

22. The X-76 Expanded comes with two gooseneck lamps which makes it easy to see the instrument in any lighting condition. The lamps can be dimmed directly from the X-76's front panel. All X-76's control buttons are illuminated as well.

23. Last but not least, the Lionstracs Mediastation X-76 standard is less than half the price of the Oasys, around $3500.00 USD. The Expanded X-76 is less than $4200.00 USD.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179725 - 08/14/06 05:14 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The Lionstracs board seems like a work in progress, and as anyone will tell you, unless you have unlimited time for tweaking and style creation and conversion, how an arranger sounds and plays OOTB is a very important thing.

The one thing you get from the Big Three is very well developed styles, with perhaps Yamaha or the E80 getting the nod for 'best'. A lot will depend on whether you develop your own styles, or expect them to 'pop' as soon as you get your arranger. The Lionstracs arranger is really a sort of 'computer with an attached keyboard' with all the flexibility, and steep learning curves that this implies. And sonically, you will have a lot of work to make it as overall good as your VA7...... While many sounds are spectacular (Giga and B4 especially) they are a lot more work to balance with each other OOTB. All the balance work is already done for you (mostly!) with Big Three arrangers, and there is a far greater range of choice OOTB.

You haven't had a sampler in your arranger prior to now (unless you used the Varios thingy much in the VA-7), so are you sure you will really need one? A BIG problem with hardware samplers is slow load up times, compared to a computer - at best 1MB/sec, and usually the keyboard is dead during load time. So you have to decide for yourself if you just need the sampler for a better piano (which you will definitely want for the Korg!) or you really want to use sampled loops and other highly specialized stuff, which will make the load time more of a factor.......

If I were you, especially in light of your already familiarity with Roland's OS and basic sound (the V-Drums are in it plus a killer piano and the BEST Hammond in an arranger), the G70 is definitely worth trying out. If you HAVE to have a sampler AND 76 keys, then the PA1XPro is just about it, but beware of it's 48 voice polyphony, something that becomes more of a problem if you use a lot of stereo samples.......

As to the future, who knows.....? Maybe Yammie will finally realize 76 keys is not the kiss of death (and add USB2 sample loading)..... Maybe the E80 will come out in a G70 form factor and allow unlimited external patch selection, so you can use a rack sampler....... Maybe Korg will marry a great arranger OS to the Oasis. Maybe Lionstracs will come sounding as good as a Tyros2 OOTB........

We can but dream.....

#179726 - 08/14/06 05:21 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Hellboy

I'd just like to tell you of one thing you'll need to keep in mind. As far as point #23- The money you spend there is only the beginning. I have a software based workstation. My laptop cost was only a fraction of what has gone into it. I started out with a lot of the freeware stuff that Mediastation gives you, but in my never ending quest to improve the quality of the sounds, effects, and Host / DAW apps ( Sonar, FL Studio, drum machines, etc ), I've run the bill up to several thousand more over the past few years. There are still plenty of hi end sample sets that I don't have and would like btw.

Regrets ?.... Nah, I don't regret it for one minute... the system sounds awesome ( and it can get even better ) ... but I just thought that you might want to know this before you consider going in that direction.

AJ

#179727 - 08/14/06 11:51 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Thank you both Diki and Bluezplayer - you bring up good points.

I didn't use the sampler in my VA-7 (much) for 2 reasons.

1. The playback was rather low-grade(ish) and mono - I'm a fiend for stereo everything!
2. The loading time (Zip disk).

Which brings me to the points of - loading time with the PAX-1 - does everything REALLY stop dead as it's loading samples etc? Maybe I can play them as high quality MP3's.

In regards to polyphony (I thought it was 64 notes) - does the PAX-1 "run out of steam" and start noticeably stealing voices?
This would be a big issue for me as I would often crossfade bewtween those lovely dual sequencers during dance sets at live gigs.
Could I substitute some voices with a sample loop from either the sampler memory/playback itself, or the mp3 player to "help the Korg along" if you know what I mean?

Actually can any PAX-1 owners answer those questions please?

Is polyphony (and hell - sampler load times AND limited Memory - 32 meg - dang!) - a problem live with the PAX?????????????????

Thanks for any replies.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179728 - 08/15/06 01:12 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
spalding Offline

i have used the PAx1 quite a bit at home and in rehearsal. Its hard to answer your question in terms of the sampler load up times as it depends on the size of the samples that you are using.What you need is to look at what aspects of the sampler are important to you and then look at the competition. What other arranger keyboard has a fully functional sampler , able to read .WAV, AIFF, Korg and AKAI samples/multisamples,Where sampled sounds can be time sliced to create new grooves and kits, assigned to Sounds, or filtered, modified and processed by the internal effects ? But yes the keyboard is dead whilst samples are loading. However you can load up all the samples that you might need for a group of performance subject to the 32 meg limit. Like i said before if you can.Get into a shop and literally put the PAX through its paces and then compare it to what else is available on the market currently.

#179729 - 08/15/06 01:28 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
spalding Offline

PS the polyphony is 62 notes. But it is not like 62 notes of polyphony through a yamaha or roland instrument. Have a search under polyphony on this site and you will see the subject has been done to death. I have not noticed any polyphony issues on the PAX1 using the sounds the board came with. But....some of the imported piano samples that i have used have created slight not drop outs when used in fuller arrangements particularly that involved lush string or rich organ backing styles. But nothing that has caused me any real concern.I have used both yamaha and now the korg extensively and i can tell you honestly i much prefer the Korg but others will obviously have their own views. I think you will find it very difficult to compare the PAX with any other arranger currently available because it has these three distinctive functions all present in one keyboard

1 Fully featured and functioning sampler
2 TWO fully featured and functioning sequncers
3 Sounds editable using just the keyboard

On top of that there is great Korg support and loads of sounds and styles floating around for free on the PA1X web site and forums.

I donmt need to seel the instriument to you. Play one and let it sell itself !!

#179730 - 08/15/06 03:00 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Hellboy
The Wersi OAS instruments (Which by the way have been on the market since 2000, with the software now up to V7) and the Mediastaion are computer based systems built into a keyboard, and so cannot be compared like for like with a hardware arranger, so have a look into computers, softsynths etc to get an idea of how they work. As an example, polyphony is not a fixed amount on these units, and so you have certainly misunderstood the 1024 and 2000 note polyphony.
Tip. Think of the Wersi OAS and Mediastaion instruments as a computer and controller keyboard with the addition of a software version of a hardware arranger.
Hope this helps

Bill

#179731 - 08/16/06 06:06 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Diki Offline

I've messed with a Triton with the sampling option (PA1XPro is based on it, I think) and I know it loads slower than my Kurzweil, so 32MB of samples means AT LEAST 30-60 sec of totally dead time..... something you may not want in a fast paced show.

I would seriously consider a laptop and low-latency sound-card as an alternative to the Korg, probably allowing you to use a G70, something you're already familiar and happy with the basic sound of (it's got a lot in common with the VA-7).

Remember, as well, that if you rely on hardware samplers, even if they are big (512MB of RAM) and you load them up at the start of the set, if you have a brown out or power spike, there's 20+ min of load-up time before you can start again. UPSs are a MUST for your whole rig........

#179732 - 08/17/06 12:24 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Well I currently use - not an UPS per se, but a Powerboard with filters, and anti surge protection (one of those big, serious expensive boards - cost me nearly $300 Aud).

I thought a UPS would be too big/costly etc?

I take your point with a laptop setup, but I honestly find them (still) to be too unreliable. I'm happy to rely on one great keyboard that does it all, and an MP3 player (hell, I currently rely on - and have done so for 5 years - a minidisc for sequence playback, and a good old portable CD player for break music.

It's funny, our show IS energetic, and sounds great, but "back of house" I'm still in the dark ages.....!

I guess I'm looking VERY seriously at the PAX-1 to provide everything (with the MP3 and sampling options).....

Forgive me if I sound like a ninny here, but, whilst I have a kick arse computer at home, I plan to use that ONLY at home as the heart of my studio - and really only for recording the keyboard, some live guitar and of course vocals.

It seems that the keyboard sounds more natural (mainly with all the velocity switching - drums etc) I've never like the GM sounds on a PC, and am not smart enough to deal with software instruments.

To be blunt, PC's (live or in the studio) seem to be a 'guitarists thing".

As I am a professional keyboard player, I feel MUCH more confortable editing, playing and recording everything "inside the board".
Then let the PC record all that hard work!

Know what I mean?

Silly maybe.....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179733 - 08/17/06 07:52 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Magica Alfa Offline

MEDIASTATION is good thing. I'm having one X76. Styles are better then in more keyboards as I tried. They are also balanced. You will not have a lot of work to start. But if you want something yours, you can open your mind here more as in other keyboards. You can load what you want. You can edit what you want. Also you can do your own style or song in Rosgarden (program is working in same way as CUBASE SX or CAKWALK or SONOR)
All is so simple and in one board. That is main thing. You can plug in also external big screen and you can work as with computer and playing a lot of things on (e.g. KARAOKE). You can do really what you want, but you must always thing with head.
B4 is well balanced sounds are standardized and same value as other things on keyboard. People of this company are really working for future. Open sources keyboards are good thing and you are free with your fresh ideas.

Best regards and lot of good music.

Magica Alfa

#179734 - 09/14/06 04:47 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Just thought I'd update you guys (if anyone is even VAGUELY still interested).

Well, I cannot find ANY store that has a Korg PAX-1 Pro in stock!

I cannot try it out "in person", BUT, as of this writing, I've made the decision to purchase one "sight unseen" as soon as I get the funds and the right price....won't be tomorrow!

I have NEVER purchased ANYTHING without seeing it first, but I feel really confident after talking it over with you guys, and reading, well, just about EVERY review there is on this keyboard - to just go ahead!

If anyone has any (near) final thoughts on this matter in the coming weeks (or now) just let me know!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179735 - 09/14/06 05:03 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Diki Offline

Just make sure the store has a good return policy - restocking fees sometimes run as high as 20%. That's a lot of jack......

Polyphony is really my main beef with the PA1X. You start using a lot of arranger parts then play a bunch of stereo samples and your voice-count can disappear quickly. My take would be a Tyros2 or G70 and a rack Triton if sampling is where you're at, or pick up a used Akai Z4 or Z8....

But best of luck with your sight unseen purchase......

#179736 - 09/16/06 03:44 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
casiobot Offline

Just what kind of poly does the PAX1 have Diki? 32?

Hellboy,might as well toss in my 2 cents:
http://www.rolandkeyboardclub.com/v/prod_detail.php?id=225&selected=2&pagina=1

At the least it has 76 keys.The E-50 would probably be too *little*(61 keys) for your needs and the E-80 might be a somewhat over-inflated monster( ONLY 1100 panel tones,Roland?That's only 100 more than the 50 or 60)The G-70 looks like a bargain in comparison.

I myself am looking at the E-50 and that will give me some ample time to really suss out the specs and whatever.I mean Roland is really flogging the sound quality for the E series,but how much of this is brand new and how much is recycled JV/XV/blah,blah,blah?

I'll raise a Fosters in your direction as you continue your search!

[This message has been edited by casiobot (edited 09-17-2006).]

#179737 - 09/17/06 04:36 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

THANKS FOR THE CONTINUED INPUT GUYS!!

I was hoping there would be some other advice(in addition to the valuable opinions ALREADY in the thread so far)....keep it up!

So that's the new addition(s) to the E series!

Yeah - interesting - but what does Roland have against sampling????????????????????????

(Have I read the specs right? No Sampling, and 64 OR 128 polyphony depending on which spec sheet you read.........interesting!)

Ok thanks kindly I'll have to look at the E series again.

I hope sampling doesn't take up too many "voices" with the PAX-1 as I will probably use it in Styles and SMFs heavily if I can.

So would Polyphony STILL be a problem if I used (drum) samples/loops in the styles/SMF'S?????

Can't consider the Tyros - not 76 keys.
Had a play of one at the store anyway - not impressed - sorry NOT TRYING TO START A FLAME WAR! - I don't care or have any allegience to a particular brand.

Ok, let's just say the Tyros isn't for me.

Anyway, can anybody answer that Sample/Polyphony question?

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179738 - 09/17/06 10:10 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
casiobot Offline

Well my needs are fairly modest-I don't intend to get the "baddest" keyboard thats out there-mostly I'm looking at sounds and sequencing.
I don't know what Roland has against sampling but that probably would have jacked up the already nosebleed price on the E-80.Does the G-70 have sampling?If it does it may well prove to be the bargain here.
I also just found out that the E-80 has one Gbit of wave memory as opposed to the E-50 which has 512 Mbit but I'm not gonna rob a bank just to get the 1 Gbit.Besides the E-50 is going to be a big enough step up for me,compared to what I've *been* using...

[This message has been edited by casiobot (edited 09-17-2006).]

#179739 - 09/17/06 12:03 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi hellboy,
i have played my PA1x live with midi files and have not had any issues with the 62 note poly on the Korg..its voice allocation algorithms are very clever and work very well...i have some midi files that are the full 16 tracks and then i play live keyboard over that...i think if you are using samples that are multi velocity and so require several voices to work properly you ahve some poly issues, but if you are using "one shot" drum samples, it should not be a problem..
dennis

#179740 - 09/17/06 02:17 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Hellboy,
where do you live?
have a friend who's been umming & ahhing about whether or not to sell his. Hobbyist, home use only. Not sure whether he's still thinking about it or not. Nearly bought it last year, but then he changed his mind.

You definately one to see one before you buy.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hellboy44:
[B]Just thought I'd update you guys (if anyone is even VAGUELY still interested).

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#179741 - 09/17/06 02:26 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Hellboy,
where do you live?
have a Sydney friend who's been umming & ahhing about whether or not to sell his. Hobbyist, home use only. Not sure whether he's still thinking about it or not. I nearly bought it last year, but then he changed his mind & I ended up buying an SD1+ instead. Price on the korg was just too high to buy brand new. SD1 is a great keyboard too, but I think I'm more of a Yammie fan, so I may consider selling it down the track.

You definately need to see korg before you buy.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hellboy44:
[B]Just thought I'd update you guys (if anyone is even VAGUELY still interested).

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online