SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#179708 - 08/12/06 12:41 AM WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Guys - I'll (try) to make this brief.

I Currently own: VA-7.

Need to upgrade to either a G-70, Tyros 2 or Korg PA1X/Pro or possibly one of the E series.

I play in a Duo (Australia) called CHI CHI
www.chi-chi.com.au

(Shameless plug over)

I need a keyboard that:

1. Plays midi files back at LEAST as good as the VA7 (sounds wise - epecially drum quality)

2. Has flexible live options (eg the PAX1-pro has 2 midi sequencers allowing you to crossfade songs like a DJ - WOW - is that the best feature EVER for a live performer or WHAT?????)

3. 76 keys with a great feel.

4. Preferably can sample OR has add on samples that can be manipulated.

5. Has some great styles or more importantly has styles that can be MADE great (ie flexible).

I don't get care what brand (I admit, Roland would be the least painless conversion for me as I have COUNTLESS Midis that have been tweaked to perfection by myself.

I was going to get the G-70 until I read the PAX-1 could crossfade Midis, connect mp3 players, and sample.

Is there something now (or on the horizon) I can get that will be "it"?

For example will the E-series (80 etc) come with 76 key versions in the near future (or will the Tyros???)

HELP!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179709 - 08/12/06 01:33 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
In your case go for g70 me thinks...

#179710 - 08/12/06 03:10 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
76 keys rules out the T2 straight away and also the E80 which is only 61 notes.
For midi the G70 or Korg would be better with 76 notes.
Adding samples (WAV) that can be edited the T2 is excellent at this. The Korg also has great quality samples available for it.
As for styles IMO the T2 or new E80 are best, but then again these are only 61 notes m8.
To sum it up if you don't want to wait for any new keyboard release and you need 76 keys then choices are G70 or the Korg if samples are your thing (I'm not sure the G70 can load in samples/WAV's?). You could wait until after Christmas for the new SD1 plus replacement which will be 76 keys and have loads of new features. I honestly think that this machine will kick some butts in the arranger world on it's release and I can't wait to see this one.

#179711 - 08/12/06 04:16 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
to the genesys Offline

You also may want to look at the Genesys xp module with a 76 key controller.

The Genesys xp can do everything you want to do.

#179712 - 08/12/06 04:17 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I own the PA1X. Go for the pro version. It meets all your requirements and has a true fully featured sampler built in.

#179713 - 08/12/06 06:45 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Thanks for all the replies so far....

so what's the new SD1 (do you have any release dates or links to previews?)

I can't get past the fact that the Korg has that dual sequencer crossfade, and samples (small sample memory though 32 meg isn't it?)

I would LOVE to know if you can load samples into the G-70 - at least that would be something....

anyone on that?

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179714 - 08/12/06 06:56 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Dnj Offline

Heres a great G70 forum...
Im sure you can get all your answers here.
http://www.selskabsmusikeren.dk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

#179715 - 08/12/06 07:06 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Thanks dnj will have a read - that seems new....

Spalding, are you deliriously happy with your Korg?

Does that dual sequencer crossfade dealie work as well live as I think it does?

How does the PAX1 go at gigs????

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179716 - 08/12/06 09:53 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Hi Hellboy44. I loooooove my Pax ! But not deliriously happy. Firstly let me clarify that i am not a gigging musician as you may understand the term. I play in church black Gospel urban styled music and occassionally produce and write for other artists within the church so i dont gig and i dont do this for money.

The Pax has a great sampler that works just like its supposed to. A great vocal harmoniser that works just like its supposed to . In terms of the dual sequencer, it works just like its supposed to. You can crossfade from one song to the next seamlessley and can load up a new song in sequnecer one whilst sequencer two is still running no problem.

The styles are marvelous and can be adapted and totally reprogrammed to your own taste and saved as a custom style. You can adjust the fullness of the autyo accompaniment with the simple movement of the sliders just below the main screen. I have had the keyboard almost 9 months now and i am only just scratching the surface with it. The only draw backs in my mind are ths korg stock pianos which i dont really like but i joined the Korg forum and downloaded some gorgeous acoustic pianos and have also purchased Sharps "Piano Assault" so that was easily rectified.

I dont use a lot of midis personally but i loaded the Tune 1000 software on my keyboard which has just tonnes of midi files on it and they play just fine. They can all be tweaked but i have never felt the need to as i dont really use themother than to put myself to sleepat night when i am tired of playing the board. I am a yammy fan and my previous arranger was the psr 8000. I looked at the T2 and was very very impressed but for my purposes it would not have been suitable as i do a lot of writing and composing live on the keyboard in a work setting often whilst the choir is rehearsing. I needed an all in one board and the tyros lacked a fully featured sampler and sequencer and the individual sounds could not be deeply edited onboard the keyboard without additional software and a computer and so sadly it was discounted. The Pax has RX technology that is similar to Yammies megavoices so the auto accompaniment i believe matches the T2 however the T2 wins out interms of its outstanding SA voices. They are gorgeous however as an all round great keyboard and specifically for the way i work the PA1X was the most suitable for me.

Everything you have asked for , I know you will find in the PA1Xpro (76 key version) so i have every confidence to recommend it to you.

My one definate critiscim however is the weight . It really is a monster and when i have to play out i gotta tell ya my heart grows faint !!! But even with that i am very glad that i bought it and given the available choices then and even today for me the Korg is still the only suitable choice.

#179717 - 08/12/06 10:01 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi:

My experience tells me that you will still have to re-voice your SMS, and does NOT matter what brand/model you buy, here is why, yo must remember that the internal map of your VA7 is not the same as the G70, of course, is compatible, but it does not mean that you have the best voicing because the SOUND MAP is different and larger too. Just you keep in mind what you may have to do.
I know this because I had long time ago a Roland RA95 and later I had a VA7, and I had to revoice the SMFs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online