SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#179701 - 11/28/03 09:22 PM Speaker system for Tyros
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Tyros owners, what speakers do you use at home? I'm currently running my Tyros thru my KN7000, but would like to add a compact, relatively inexpensive system. How's the suggested Yamaha speakers? Does anyone use an alternate system that is superior?

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#179702 - 11/28/03 09:32 PM Re: Speaker system for Tyros
KN_Fan Offline

I believe Terry used the Altec Lansing 621 before, but switched to Bose Bookshelf Speakers (not that the AL was bad). Terry- My memory is correct?

#179703 - 11/28/03 10:38 PM Re: Speaker system for Tyros
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Tim

I think you really need to check out the following link at buy.com for the Yamaha YST MS50. It is marked down to a measley $36.49 after rebate.

If you type MS50 into search here at SynthZone, you'll see all the guys talking about how much they are enjoying theirs and how big a room and how many people in the audience it will cover.

I see Richard Peck even has two sets and loves the sound. He also has a unique system for set up. The two smaller speakers are mounted on top of his sub woofer with velcro. So no need to mess around with attaching those brackets to the keyboard itself.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10270535&loc=1989

Best
Scott Langholff

#179704 - 11/29/03 02:46 AM Re: Speaker system for Tyros
trtjazz Offline

Tim,
KN is correct with an addendum. I used the JBL bookshelf speakers along with the original Tyros speakers and that sounded nice. Although I still have them hooked up I really use my near/close field monitors for all my playing in the studio. The Altec Lansing 621's made their way to my X-Box and play station, where they sound the best.

The real answer to your Q. lies in what is it you want to do with your speakers. If the primary goal is to play and you want the best sound for that, that will take one type of speaker. If on the other hand your goal is monitoring for recording that takes a different type of speaker. For just playing and enjoying the best sound I use my Motion Sound KP200S stereo amp. For recording and monitoring I use M Audio Audiophile BX 5's and when I'm just doodling looking for ideas, I use the Tyros with the JBL bookshelf set up.

In any case you will want powered either monitors or an amp.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 11-29-2003).]

#179705 - 11/29/03 03:26 AM Re: Speaker system for Tyros
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
I have Yamaha Tyros and in the beginning I used the Tyros optional speaker system (TRS-MS01) with it, but I didnīt like the sound qyality so I bought a pair of Genelec 1029A speakers, which are much better.

I already had one pair of those Genelecs in my studio so it was an easy choise to buy the second pair for my keyboard.

Does anyone of you use Genelec speakers?

#179706 - 11/29/03 07:06 AM Re: Speaker system for Tyros
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Thanks for the input (no pun intended!)
I hope to find a place that sells the YST MS50 so I can hear them. Anyone know if any of the music chains carry them?

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#179707 - 11/29/03 07:12 AM Re: Speaker system for Tyros
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I use the Tyros specific speakers. I don't agree that they do not sound good. They have great overall range for my tastes. The only problem I have with the TRS-MS01's is they are specific to the Tyros and I cannot use them directly with other keyboards. YOu need the Tyros connections to use these speakers.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online