SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#179607 - 05/06/06 05:30 PM Ketron SD2 Module: Soundsource for OMB styles??
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
well, my laptop up & died on me a few weeks back ( or so I thought ) taking with it my One Man Band softsynth realtime arranger setup. I was using soundfonts for my OMB styles.
The only laptop I had left was my old win98
64mb celeron. Hardly capable of running OMB, let alone a soundfont.

Anyway I managed to midi the old laptop to my Ketron SD1+, & used the Ketron as a controller & soundsource for omb. Apart from some "xg to gm " drum issues,and some tweaking, the sounds were great with the omb .sty files. Or at least the few I've tried to date.

Why bother when I've got a top of the line arranger keyboard.
Well, my ketron isn't all that portable. I can pick up my laptop & play around with it anywhere in the house, take it on trips, etc.

Why not just convert the OMB ( psr ) styles to ketron? Mainly because when using EMC, it doesn't really convert 100% accurately.
The styles still need a fair bit of tweaking. Minor chord intro's & endings don't always convert properly.
So with the option of being able to use OMB to play psr styles, I can hear how the styles will sound in the ketron. I can then use OMB to record the style across to my SD1 via midi. I don't end up with some of the problems when doing a straight emc conversion. I still luv my emc, wouldn't be without it, but some keyboards styles convert better than others.

OMB is basically my second arranger keyboard.
Found out a few weeks ago , that Ketron is bringing out a tiny usb soundmodule, called an sd2, perfect for laptops.
Sounds are based on their new sd5 arranger keyboard. Hoping that the sounds may be similar enough to my sd1 , so that I can use it for my omb styles.
Means I'll be totally portable again.

Doesn't mean the end of my softsynth system, just adds more sound options.

best wishes
Rikki

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/makingstyles/?yguid=69517899

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 05-06-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#179608 - 05/06/06 06:17 PM Re: Ketron SD2 Module: Soundsource for OMB styles??
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, I am so sad and lonely. I lost my one and only software based arranger system advocate. It leaves me blowing in the wind.

#179609 - 05/06/06 08:58 PM Re: Ketron SD2 Module: Soundsource for OMB styles??
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
hi Frank,
you didn't read the end of my post.

"Doesn't mean the end of my softsynth system, just adds more sound options."

I'm mainly considering the sd2 as an option for the style parts, there aren't that many at the moment ie soundfonts, hypersonic 2, hypercanvas, and Bandstand ?? I gather, none of the above you'd really consider as a top of the line choice for melody voice?
So if I got myself a software sample player, I could use it for melody voice, & the sd2 ( or sd1) for style parts & not put too much strain on a laptop. Haven't decided whether I'll get a new laptop or upgrade the memory in my dell 512mb laptop, ( which is currently working again, though not sure for how long haa haa).

I'm thinking of maybe getting Garriton's Big Band, & maybe the personal orchestra.
I'm not after a GM set, rather individual acoustic type instruments that I could use for melody. I use strings, saxes , trumpets etc
Collosus would be too expensive for what I want, and I doubt my laptop would be up to the task anyway.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Rikki, I am so sad and lonely. I lost my one and only software based arranger system advocate. It leaves me blowing in the wind.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#179610 - 05/07/06 05:07 AM Re: Ketron SD2 Module: Soundsource for OMB styles??
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, yes I read every word of your post and still came to the overwhelming conclusion that Rikki has left the software arranger building and turned off the lights. This leaves me howling at the moon and listening to the echoes of my mind....oh well.

Yes, you are correct in your assessment that I would recommend the soundfonts, Bandstand, Hypersonic 2, Hypercanvas and so on for accompaniment use only. For lead or melody voices the lowest quality I would accept would be GPO, JABB and Colossus. It is a balance between quality and instrument load times. Having said that, it is still a significant step or two above anything you will find in the highest quality hardware based workstations or arranger keyboards. It is definitely good enough for live performances but not so for studio work.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 05-07-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online