SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#179467 - 11/19/03 02:37 PM Styleworks 2000 - Fran
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Fran, given you may well be the wisest member of this forum I though I would seek your advice (humble).

Does Styleworks 2000 (or Yamaha) convert styles to the GM format? If it does could you do 2 conversions from the PSR 9000 (Swing2 and the bigband with a tempo of 135 (forgot the exact name)) to GM? If this works on my system this could be an effective solution (expensive) to the XG to GM drums issue.

If you can convert them you could send the conversion to my email.

flr@mts.net

#179468 - 11/19/03 07:59 PM Re: Styleworks 2000 - Fran
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
.......brown noser !

#179469 - 11/20/03 12:13 AM Re: Styleworks 2000 - Fran
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
some of this (free) software might be of use to you.

All sorts of great psr utilities.
http://www.svpworld.com/util_midiplayer.htm

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#179470 - 11/20/03 05:04 AM Re: Styleworks 2000 - Fran

Dave, it worked. It is starting to look like you guys cannot separate Fran from his G1000. What is this - a life time union??? It may take the intervention of the supreme court or something.

rikkisbears, thanks for your advice. I have tried those programs and they go part way but do not translate the individual drum instruments within a kit from XG to GM. Even OMB has some features that improve the playing of styles on a GM Wavetable - but no cigar!!! Furthermore, it looks like Styleworks also may not solve the problem.

Oh well the hunt continues!!!

#179471 - 11/20/03 06:18 AM Re: Styleworks 2000 - Fran

I should note that I could do the drum instrument translation using GNMidi. I would need to make a translation for each drum kit and then apply this translation to the midi part of each style. I would then need to combine this midi part with the CASM using something like CasmEdit.

Sonar 3 can do the translations and they sound good but I have to save it as a Sonar Project. I have not found a way to save it as a midi format 0 for combining with the style's CASM. It is getting closer.

Once I can implement an effective and efficient solution I will be away to the races. This will allow me to use some very high class drum kits, e.g., Drumkit From Hell, etc. It will allow me to abandon the Soundfont wavetables for other alternatives (e.g., Edirols Hyper Canvas, or my own home made versions, etc.).

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-20-2003).]

#179472 - 11/20/03 11:19 AM Re: Styleworks 2000 - Fran
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Frank,
Fran is still married to his original wife.
He drives cars till they are worthless.
He has been my friend through all sorts of mood swings and crazy changes .......
It doesn't surprise me that he's keeping a kb he likes.

We DO buy and sell a lot of toys in the search, but he's always said that the G1k was his baby. It's a real BIG baby, but it's his, at least.

#179473 - 11/20/03 11:53 AM Re: Styleworks 2000 - Fran
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
I should have checked the program a bit more thoroughly before I suggested it. I'd only read what it did, and must have misunderstood.
I tried my EMC program also, ie I loaded the style in and then resaved, made no difference to the drums, as far as I could tell they were still the same.

There's now supposedly vers6 of OMB, only read it a few minutes ago, so I haven't had a chance to check yet.

I'd love to find a solution to the problem too. I'll let you know if I ever do.
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[

rikkisbears, thanks for your advice. I have tried those programs and they go part way but do not translate the individual drum instruments within a kit from XG to GM. Even OMB has some features that improve the playing of styles on a GM Wavetable - but no cigar!!! Furthermore, it looks like Styleworks also may not solve the problem.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#179474 - 11/20/03 02:04 PM Re: Styleworks 2000 - Fran

Dave, Fran is a lucky guy and his rate of return on his investment is way large. We need to find another Robin Hood!!!

#179475 - 11/21/03 05:56 AM Re: Styleworks 2000 - Fran
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Frank,

I understand from previous e-mails that you have 2 problems with the drumsounds in Yamaha styles.

1. Yamaha styles use drumbank 16256 instead of 127.
2. You want to remap the drum notes.

The drumnotes converter in OMB is for that purpose. I used it to convert hundreds of arabic styles.

You should first make a conversion table for the remapping of the drum notes. Then in the style window:

1. Press the Ctrls button. Press the msb button. Change the value in the drum track column(s) to 0. Press the lsb button. Change the value to 127. Press the exit button.

2. Select the menu option Tracks/Convert. Select the drum tracks. Select "in all parts". Press apply.

3. Save and load the next style

In many (badly) converted styles the patch/bank and other controllers are repeated in each part of the style (they should be defined only once per style). To deal with that in step 1 in the Ctrls window, select the option "apply this value style wide" and double click on the value on the first row. All the controllers of the current selected type in this column will be moved to the control area.

The main problem in this all is defining the drumnote conversion table. But you have the definitions for GM and the XG drumbanks.

Jos

#179476 - 11/21/03 07:56 AM Re: Styleworks 2000 - Fran

Jos Maas, you got it - that's all I need. I just need a friend to develop the translation table and use your OMB or GNMidi to do the job. A separate program where you can call up each style and with one mouse click do the job - would be nice. I am not certain but one would probably need a separate translation table for each drumkit. These translation tables could be built into OMB or M. Bedesem's MidiPlayer.

This is to challenging (lazy) for an old man in the twilight of his life - big & boring!!! However, the old man will do it when there is no other viable alternative. He is definitely not going back to hardware based solutions not even the G1000!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-21-2003).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online