SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#179335 - 01/19/05 12:01 PM New way of life for me: playing out and new ebay store
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

As of January 15 my position selling and education on Roland organs ceased to exist.

The company I was with for years decided to leave the Florida panhandle a year ago.

The company I was with for the last year decided to change their business model to a part time teacher who also does piano. I don't do piano, so on to something new.

At this time, I am going to be out looking for playing engagements in the Pensacola area.

I have a demo CD with a bio, etc, along with a boom box and am about to venture out and hopefully find a steady engagement.

One thing that I have in my favor is that I have a database of a few hundered students and customers in the Panhandle area from my two former jobs in the home organ field.

The students that I have been able to talk to so far definitely want to be notified where I'm playing, so they can come and check it out.

I think this would make my chances of finding a decent gig a lot better, considering the establishment could expect to draw some new customers their way.

I have a basic web site up now, but there is plenty of work to be done with that yet.
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-ScottLangholff

The online demo does not work as of yet. I need to find out how to get that going.

I have also just opened an ebay store where I have just a few things listed at present.
http://stores.ebay.com/Lanco-Music-Products_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Thought I'd share the news with my SZ family.

I'm sure I will have some interesting things to share as I progress on the new path.

Best
Scott Langholff

#179336 - 01/19/05 12:08 PM Re: New way of life for me: playing out and new ebay store
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Scott...
Good luck with your new entreprenuerial ventures. It sounds like you have some good contacts which can help give you a kick start.

I certainly understand the problem of retailing organs. I know several stores that are struggling or changing their business models.

Eddie

#179337 - 01/19/05 12:21 PM Re: New way of life for me: playing out and new ebay store
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Good luck on your new adventure into the world of performing live! Much prosperity with your Ebay store.

#179338 - 01/19/05 12:28 PM Re: New way of life for me: playing out and new ebay store
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Scott: Way to go with your new website & eBay store. Having a large potential audience mailing list is most DEFINTELY a big plus in landing good club date venues. If you can continue to pack the house (with your devoted fans) you'll not only keep the club owner happy, but ensure a long standing gig venue as well. Good luck. - ScottY

#179339 - 01/19/05 01:10 PM Re: New way of life for me: playing out and new ebay store
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi Scott,
When I first came to Florida in 1985 there were many men that coud not find acceptable imployment, some decided to open their own businnes. Many of these men have good solid money producing businesses today. That's my wish for you, success while doing it Scott's way.

From what I have learned about you I feel you will have no problem succeeding. You do have a head for business.

God luck, you have my good wishes, and prayers, John C.

PS, The music store closing can be a blessing for you!!!!!

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 01-19-2005).]

#179340 - 01/19/05 01:44 PM Re: New way of life for me: playing out and new ebay store
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Good luck in your new and exciting venture. I know you'll do well, and if there's anything I can do to help, just give me a call or email me and I'll be more than happy to do what I can.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#179341 - 01/19/05 02:56 PM Re: New way of life for me: playing out and new ebay store
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
hi scott,
as you know, i use to work the same company
a while back doing the same thing. i left that company (but i always was a fulltime
musician) and focused more on my music business. i'm now very secure in my accounts
and booked several years in advance. this
can very well be the best thing that you could be doing for your self.
i wish for you the best.
dave

#179342 - 01/19/05 03:18 PM Re: New way of life for me: playing out and new ebay store
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Scott...while going out on your own is initially, a little frightening, it can be extremely rewarding.

10 years ago, I had to resign from a job I had held for 30 years with a large electrical manufacturer. The location of my department had changed from Kentucky to Chicago. I had in-laws with Alzheimers and Parkinsons and was the primary caregiver.

Luckily, I had been playing full-time, teaching part-time and had developed a list of communications clients I worked for on a part-time basis.

Now, my son works with me. We have a staff of 4 and do work for companies around the world.

You'll do fine, and controlling your own future helps devlop a sense of satisfaction with each completed project.

The web is a great business tool. We get work from all around the world. I have done many jobs for companies and people I'll never meet.

Best of luck...you'll have a ball!

Russ

#179343 - 01/19/05 04:06 PM Re: New way of life for me: playing out and new ebay store
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Good luck Scott.
Many a successful business has been started on nothing more then the last pay check, faith and determination.
Best to you in your new venture,
Bebop

#179344 - 01/19/05 05:34 PM Re: New way of life for me: playing out and new ebay store
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Scott,

Good luck on your new endevor. Don't forget to check out some of the places in Gulf Shores when they've reopened. Mesquite Charles could use some live music.

Tom

Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online