SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#179301 - 01/17/04 04:09 AM Is Operating the KB Becoming Harder than Playing It?
Dnj Offline

I have a friend that is a great player but can't grasp the operating parameters of Working his Arranger KB....This seems to be a problem for alot of people. Its hard enough to learn how to just play proficiently, but then you also have to throw in Operating the KB into the mix. Playin while pushing buttons at the same time....These two seperate procedures at the same time create a delicate balancing act that some people find very difficuly, especially if you are new to computers also. I was lucky to have been there thruout the progression along the way of the Arranger KB evolution learnig things as the became available.But some newer players have to start it all at once.
What makes playing an Arranger KB difficult for you... playing or operation of the features? And what can be done to make it less difficult to play ?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-17-2004).]

#179302 - 01/17/04 07:16 AM Re: Is Operating the KB Becoming Harder than Playing It?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
DNJ,

Good point. What I have to say is that keyboard manufacturers need to make it easier on us. In my opinion, all "performance" functions must have dedicated buttons or sliders. For example, dedicated volume sliders (8 at least), dedicated transpose buttons.

At the same time, musicians need to embrace technology and expand their horizon. They need to learn new tricks and practice these new tricks. Those who say "can't teach old dog new tricks" will lose at the end.

#179303 - 01/17/04 07:19 AM Re: Is Operating the KB Becoming Harder than Playing It?
Dnj Offline

sk880,.....

your right on track...will be interesting to read others opinions on this topic for sure....thanx for the reply

#179304 - 01/17/04 07:36 AM Re: Is Operating the KB Becoming Harder than Playing It?
Dnj Offline

nardon....

I feel for you my friend....this arranger keyboard playing, operating, singing, all together is sometimes a difficult task in different ways to EACH OF US....I am still learning everyday at home & on stage after 35 yrs....learning from each other is another great way to fill the voids in a persons learning process...thats why these forums are so important. What I do good might benefit you and others....what you do well might benefit me and on & on.

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#179305 - 01/17/04 09:15 AM Re: Is Operating the KB Becoming Harder than Playing It?
aprilla Offline

Loc: Ireland
nardoni2002, No thanks!
I've seen computer software that operates like this and it just does not suit me, personally. I don't want to learn something I don't enjoy/want/need just to reach the things I do enjoy/want/need... nope, not where my €€€ would go.

#179306 - 01/17/04 10:00 AM Re: Is Operating the KB Becoming Harder than Playing It?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Good point, Donny. I've had an AK for only one year and just started playing out at senior facilities. What I thought was going to be a 'piece of cake' (keyboard operation), wasn't. Playing, operating the system, coping my newest hurdle - singing, is very challenging... especially when everything has to be done simultaneously and made to look smoth and easy. BTW, this brings up a strong case for playlists with SMFs, but unfortunately, that leaves much to be desired, like spontanaity, requests, keeping them on the dance floor, etc.

What can be done? The first thing that comes to my mind is the keys. After spending most of my life banging out heavy duty honky-tonk, rock, and gospel piano, and busting many keys in the process, then going to the DX7, then Roland XP-80 (excellent keys), I feel I have to now 'baby' my playing on the AK, which kind of stiffles my playing. Altho my SD1 has better keys than many AK, it still has much to be desired.

Secondly, the logic of layout could be improved on most all AK, a subject that's been discussed here. The thing that bugs me most on the SD1 is the 'break' button sitting right next to (quarter inch) the 'To End' button! 'Why'd you stop playing in the middle of the song? That's my favorite!' Duhhhh!?!

So much could be improved on these KB by having the manufacturers take into account more input from KB players. From my observations, Ketron seems to listen to us more than the others.

#179307 - 01/17/04 10:15 AM Re: Is Operating the KB Becoming Harder than Playing It?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
From my standpoint, the keyboard is not all that complex--it's the lousy, poorly written manuals that come with them that makes using these wonderful machines so difficult.

I sincerely believe, however, that those of us who sing have the edge when it comes to operating the keyboard on the fly. Non singers must constantly use both hands in order to entertain their audience, therefore, they cannot select the next song from the keyboard's internal memory before ending the song they're currently performing. This leads to extended periods of dead time between songs, which from my standpoint, should be limited to three seconds or less. If it takes more than three seconds to select the next number, you've lost the audience.

Yes, keyboards have become more complex. However, those that have taken the time to continuously explore the inner workings of their system find that this is the most incredible device for entertainer/musicians that is available today. Just 20 years ago, when I had nothing more than a six-string guitar, a lousy amp and more guts than tallent, drum machines came out, and everyone said they were really neat but too complicated. Now, two decades later, technologically, we're light-years ahead. Now if they would only find good manual writers I for one would be a happy person.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#179308 - 01/17/04 10:27 AM Re: Is Operating the KB Becoming Harder than Playing It?
KN_Fan Offline

I agree with Gary. Poorly written manuals are one of your worst enemies. Although in my many years of owning Technics, I never touched the manuals at all since everything was pretty self-explanatory.

I do need tons of help with the Triton Studio though.

I think they need to put some 'common' people/musicians in the programming team. So not only the keyboard has an awesome programming power, but also it can relate to 'normal' and general audience.

JIMO.

#179309 - 01/17/04 10:44 AM Re: Is Operating the KB Becoming Harder than Playing It?
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I also agree with Gary.

In order to keep your mind sharp and not become stale you must constantly keep learning.

At work, in order to keep up, I have to learn Excel, Access, Word etc. along with all the other programs that make my job easier. The operators on the plant floor learned on a basic lathe, however they are now programming CNC machines operating Co-ordinate measuring machines, computers, & digital measuring equipment. They must do this to provide the customer a better product. If they don't someone else will. The Chinese have no problem learning the new technology and taking away the US jobs.

Don't be a DoDo bird. Keep learning and improving. The end result is very rewarding.

Jerry

#179310 - 01/17/04 11:12 AM Re: Is Operating the KB Becoming Harder than Playing It?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
A dealer once told me one his customers bought a new board approx every 2 years, the dealer would deliver it and collect the previous model. Each time he said the par-exchange board was still setup as he originally delivered it 2 year before.
I know some home players who never load new styles...never save registrations...basically never alter anything...just switch on and play. I am not sure why they buy these top of the range boards with all the bells and whistles in the first place ????.

Graham UK

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online