SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#178876 - 01/21/06 01:08 AM Wersi OAS Instruments, What Are They?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
As the Wersi keyboards are a bit different to other keyboards, I thought I would try to explain them to members, as there is very little said about why they are the same but different to standard keyboards, hopefully this will clear things up a bit.
Hope you find it interesting.
WHAT IS OAS
In its basic form, it is a software program that allows you to control computer music software as if it was just a normal hardware arranger keyboard, and so therefore no computer knowledge is required.
In its full form, it also has its own software arranger keyboard program, with the ability to control computer music instruments.
It was first introduced onto the market in 2000, (OAS 2) and used a combination of soft buttons, Touch screen and real time controls, it has also been updated over the years to add new features, sounds and versatility, (Being computer software, owners could upgrade to the latest version without changing their instrument, although as with all computers some hardware changes also had to be made) the current version being OAS 7.
The original program used Windows 98 as the base for its operation, but when OAS 4 was introduced, this was changed to Windows XP.
With the release of OAS 5, a complete new interface was introduced, (Easier and more logical control layout) and which still remains today.
When keyboards are first introduced, the amount of sounds and styles that are available are normally limited, but Wersi got round this problem by allowing Akai samples (Probably the biggest sample library in the world) to be imported, thus giving Wersi owners thousands of sounds to choose from.
Also introduced in 2000 was a program from EMC, called Style works which allowed styles of all manufactures to be converted to another manufactures format, this was done on a computer and then the style fine tuned on the players own keyboard. Wersi instruments being a computer, allowed the program to be installed on the players own instrument, which meant that they did not need to know about computers, or even own one to do the conversion. (As new instruments came out the software could also be updated)
One of the main problems with styles, is that they are sequenced drum sounds, which until recently (And some would say still don’t) did not have the feel of a drummer, so to solve this problem Wersi introduced Real Drums, which were actual recordings of a Real Drummer playing a Real Drum Kit, and then stored as Wav files, loops were then created to allow them to be used like a normal style, which meant that for the first time on an arranger keyboard the Drummer sounded Real.(Which of cause it was)
To add further to the versatility of the instruments they came preinstalled with Cubasis VST (An Audio/Midi sequencing program) and Wavelab, (A wave sample editing program) and because Cubasis included a VST host program, (A standard program that allowed different music programs to work together) all types of software musical instruments could be added, and controlled without any knowledge of computers.
The most popular amongst Wersi owners was the Native Instruments B4 software, which emulated a Hammond B3 organ, so popular was this instrument that Wersi introduced a special interface for it, so that the Drawbars, Rotor, Percussion etc, that came as standard with Wersi instruments could also control the B4 in real time, and so you did not need to have the B4 instrument showing on the screen to use it.
OAS 7 should take the Wersi instruments to a whole new level in sound quality and performance, (However as I have not actually heard it, I cannot comment as yet, but will post something when I have experience of it) adding new sound engines, effects, control systems and vastly increasing the number of standard sounds.
I hope you enjoyed the above explanation, and now understand what Wersi is about.
Thanks for taking the time to read.

Bill

#178877 - 01/21/06 05:46 AM Re: Wersi OAS Instruments, What Are They?
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks abacus.
I understand where Wersi comes from as I was a Wersi organ user before I moved onto Bohm and Yamaha years ago. As you rightly say, their technology is first class it's just a shame their instruments are so damn expensive and there is little support in the UK. I know some shop in Bolton is supposed to be distributing these now. I did think it was Daniel Watt (think that's his name) but the shop told me he isn't the distributor for them so it's quite confusing to say the least as I spoke to Daniel a few months back on the telephone.
The IKARUS looks to be an excellent instrument and I still may go down that route sooner than later. It all comes down to that one little saying "You pay for what you get and quality doesn't come cheap"

#178878 - 01/21/06 06:26 AM Re: Wersi OAS Instruments, What Are They?
abacus Offline

Hello Craig
Daniel Watt is an agent for Wersi, so he is still a point of contact, but has no distribution or demo facilities, this is because his main job is a performer and recording engineer. http://www.daniel-watt.com
Since Wersi has appointed Harmony Music of Boston as distributor, the instruments can now be seen and played, and will no doubt expand from there. http://www.harmony-music.co.uk/organs.htm
Hope this helps.

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 01-21-2006).]

#178879 - 01/21/06 09:06 AM Re: Wersi OAS Instruments, What Are They?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Harmomy Music is in BOSTON Linc's not BOLTON Lanc's

#178880 - 01/21/06 09:13 AM Re: Wersi OAS Instruments, What Are They?
abacus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
Harmomy Music is in BOSTON Linc's not BOLTON Lanc's

Thanks for that, I hadn't noticed I had put an L instead of an S, however I have now corrected this.
Thanks again.

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online