SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#178474 - 04/09/07 12:48 AM recording live with Nomad Jukebox type
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
This request is directed to Don Mason but I have made it an open mail because it may be of interest to others.
As a long time fan of Don's, I have often received advice about recording live from him. He in fact made me a special recording from a live gig of a song especially for my wife who is also a fan of his.
He uses/used an MP3/Voice Recorder of the Nomad Type and the recording was great.
I have just bought the latest Creative MuVo100 and have tried it with good results for live recording.
However, the resultant recording comes out at 8kHz, 4-bit,Mono.
Therefore my Sony Sound Forge will not accept this for editing.

My question is, what was/is the recording spec of his Nomad Jukebox. Or if he uses something else now.?

Thanks
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

[This message has been edited by eddiefromrotherham (edited 04-09-2007).]

#178475 - 04/09/07 06:28 AM Re: recording live with Nomad Jukebox type
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hi Eddie,
I still have the Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 2, in fact two of them, and they record in stereo.
Lately however, I am using the Zoom H4 for recording.
Since they no longer make or support the Jukebox, I thought it was time to look at something new.
The Zoom can record either from the built-in mics or from line inputs. You can choose from various MP3 compressions or from WAV. You can record stereo, and the Zoom supports four-track recording as well, though I haven't tried it.
As far as I know, Creative no longer makes anything that will do what I want.
DonM

#178476 - 04/09/07 06:37 AM Re: recording live with Nomad Jukebox type
Dnj Offline

Don why not use your MidJay to record?

#178477 - 04/09/07 07:04 AM Re: recording live with Nomad Jukebox type
DonM Offline

DNJ, I would have to name and save each Midjay song. With external recorder, I can just start -stop between songs, or even just let it run.
Also, to record vocals, the mic must be run through the MJ. I don't always do it that way, sometimes using a mixer. It also allows me to record guest singers.
If I were at home, doing a serious album, I would most likely use the Midjay recorder, as you did on that wonderful CD you made a couple of years ago.
DonM

#178478 - 04/09/07 07:11 AM Re: recording live with Nomad Jukebox type
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Don
That's amazing.
I did a Google on recorders and went through a whole bunch of possibles.
Guess what I finally took note of and will now have a further look at....yes, the Zoom H4

Thanks for your approval.
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#178479 - 04/09/07 07:29 AM Re: recording live with Nomad Jukebox type
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
DNJ, I would have to name and save each Midjay song. With external recorder, I can just start -stop between songs, or even just let it run.
Also, to record vocals, the mic must be run through the MJ. I don't always do it that way, sometimes using a mixer. It also allows me to record guest singers.
If I were at home, doing a serious album, I would most likely use the Midjay recorder, as you did on that wonderful CD you made a couple of years ago.
DonM

I hear ya Don.....the MJ did a wonderful job on my last CD........the jukebox also does a great job.....My first CD was done on a Zoom unit once you learn them they are awesome also....there are so many choices for sure, I recently combined both for a somewhat DP Greatest Hits CD !.....hope to hear some more of your fantastic tunes in the near future also......
I'm brain storming now with myself on my next CD project, I'd like to go totally "LIVE" Playing & Vocals with an arranger on this next one...in a simple playing format vs big 16 track multitracking SMF projects....we'll see .....?

Stay Well!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-09-2007).]

#178480 - 04/09/07 08:32 AM Re: recording live with Nomad Jukebox type
DonM Offline

I REALLY need to make time to do a CD. My legions of fans are begging for one. Well, at least some of my relatives are mildly interested.
DonM

#178481 - 04/09/07 10:10 AM Re: recording live with Nomad Jukebox type
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I REALLY need to make time to do a CD. My legions of fans are begging for one. Well, at least some of my relatives are mildly interested.
DonM

When? When? When?....go for its Don
The Time Is Now!!

#178482 - 04/09/07 10:51 AM Re: recording live with Nomad Jukebox type
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've got a Zoom H4 on loan at the moment, and I am surprised by how capable it is.... It will record in stereo up to 24 bit 96khz detail, and in 16/44 it will record two tracks and play back four tracks, with a mini mixer and effects, and do bounce-downs. (Les Paul, anyone?)

Add to that it will operate as an audio interface front end for a laptop or computer (and as a card reader!), and you are talking a SERIOUSLY handy piece of kit...

#178483 - 04/09/07 11:22 AM Re: recording live with Nomad Jukebox type
Dnj Offline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online