SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#178429 - 09/18/03 10:36 AM Re: Copyrights and gifts
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
.. so these kids who give a CD of their favorite songs to wedding guests as a token of rememberance are in violation of the copywrite laws? ... I have seen these CDs as a growing trend as wedding favors .... could be some law suits waiting to happen? ...

Aside to UD ..... it's 'license' ...
t.

#178430 - 09/18/03 11:15 AM Re: Copyrights and gifts
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Aside to Tony: ...it's 'copyright'...

The "wedding favor" thing is only one of many possible scenerios where proper licensing of the music is required. The simple rule is that if you didn't write it but you record it, you need licensing. I'm sure that many don't obtain licensing as they should while others do, but CD's can outlive you and who knows where one you make innocently for someone will show up in the future? I don't need ghosts in my closet - while I'd like to make a goodwill wedding album for my clients too, I wouldn't unless I decided to go full tilt and do it the right way, licensing and all.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 09-18-2003).]

#178431 - 09/18/03 12:47 PM Re: Copyrights and gifts
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
Aside to Tony: ...it's 'copyright'...
[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 09-18-2003).]

.... WOW? .... how did I miss that?... and I wanted SO much to be correct ..... senior moment ... guess I was thinking as in 'writing' as opposed to 'owning rights to' .... thnx, Pro..
t.

#178432 - 09/18/03 07:14 PM Re: Copyrights and gifts
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Spelling was never my strong suit!
Looks like the wedding guests will be getting an unlicenced gift. Harry Fox told me that in order to get a licence for less than 500 copies, I have to go to the copyright office or the individual publisher. Whew.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online