SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147459 - 09/12/03 01:44 PM Another lighter load...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
On advice from DNJ and Don Mason, I bought the Yamaha YST-MS5O system, paid about $10 more for black, and when you included freight charges, then deduct the rebate, I'll end up spending $69.54--less than half the MSLP. The speakers sound great, they're more than enough to do those small, private parties where there's no more than 40 guests and space is limited to 1,500 to 2,000 square feet. I'm rigging them so they'll be on a flat-black shelf located just beneath the keyboard. This should be low enough for the subwoofer and the satellites point up at about a 20 degree angle, which should be perfect. Consequently, for these smaller venues, all I'll need is the keyboard, speakers, X-stand, mic and a folding stool--that's it. Life just got easier again.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#147460 - 09/12/03 02:32 PM Re: Another lighter load...
danb Offline

Will this speaker work as monitor on the stage if you're playing next to lead guitarist? Guitar amps are mostly loud. Thanks. - Dan

#147461 - 09/12/03 02:54 PM Re: Another lighter load...
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Gary...

If they're really that good, that's a steal! How are they for vocals... and where'd you find them at that $$?

#147462 - 09/12/03 04:03 PM Re: Another lighter load...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, I just went over and set mine up for the first time. I'm playing the Country Club lounge, and it seats about 30.
It sounded pretty good when I checked it with nobody in there, but the proof will be tonight. I'm not sure how far out the sound will carry with people in there, but it sounds great up close.
I'm still figuring how best to set the speakers. I'll take some photos tonight and we can compare notes. No pun intended.
Glen, Buy.com is where we got them.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 09-12-2003).]

#147463 - 09/12/03 10:11 PM Re: Another lighter load...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just got in from the job. The little speakers sounded great. There were about 30 people there, mostly older. Then later on, after the old people left, there was a younger group, so I "cranked it up" a little. The speakers did a really great job. You could hear them not only throughout the room, but throughout the building.
I was getting some distortion from the mic if I wasn't careful. Can't put my finger on it, but I don't think it had anything to do with the speakers. I'll check it out after I sleep awhile.
I didn't take any pictures.
DonM

#147464 - 09/13/03 08:22 AM Re: Another lighter load...
travlin'easy Offline

The vocals sounded great when I tested the system in a 1,000 square foot room, and the level was excellent. There's a lot more coming out of those little speakers than I would have ever thought.

Dan, If the guitar player cranks up his 500 watt amp, he's gonna drown you out is he's one of those folks that things lound compensates for lack of tallent. Those that play in a balanced mode with the rest of the band should not produce a problem. As for using them as a monitor, I imagine they'll work just fine, but I haven't tried that yet. Because I'm playing a PSR-2000, I have the keyboard's speakers pointing directly at me, therefore, I don't need a monitor. In fact, I just gave one away a few months ago, a 12-inch Yamaha wedge that sells for about $150.

Glen, Buy.Com had the best deal anywhere. I looked at them locally in some of the so-called discount stores and they were selling for $139 for the outfit and no rebate.

Just woke up from last night's gig, five hours at the local Blood & Guts Saloon (American Legion). Had a good night, about 40 people who came out despite torrential rains and high winds.

when I finish building the custom shelf for the speakers, I post some photos.

Cheers,

Gary

#147465 - 09/13/03 08:43 AM Re: Another lighter load...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
hi Gary,

Congrats on the terrific deal you got on your new speakers.

The Yamaha YST-MS50 satelite/sub woofer speakers:
http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=95990

are essentially the same speakers as the Tyros TRS-MS01 speakers.
http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=87366

The only difference is that the Tyros speakers are colored silver (to match the Tyros), includes built in brackets which allow you to mount the satellites directly on the keyboard, as well as plug them directly into the keyboard rather than to the sub woofer.

What I've done with my subwoofer is to mount a handle on top, which makes for easy transport.

- Scott

#147466 - 09/13/03 10:58 AM Re: Another lighter load...
Dnj Offline

Is there a nice soft canvas bag available to hold all 3 speakers sat/sub/wires...for transport?

#147467 - 09/13/03 11:33 AM Re: Another lighter load...
travlin'easy Offline

Wall Mart has some nice luggage bags on sale that I believe will be a perfect fit, as well as protect the speakers. They were selling for about $29, which is not bad.

Gary

#147468 - 09/13/03 11:50 AM Re: Another lighter load...
Dnj Offline

Does yamaha make a bag too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online