SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#178214 - 05/05/03 02:49 PM THE CAT. Jazz Tune
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
At the recent Keyboard Festival I heard a tune played on the Hammond B3 called THE CAT. Its a Jazz type number that moves along nicely.
I have done a web search for a midi file but nothing is found under this name.
Can anyone relate to this tune please.

Graham UK

#178215 - 05/05/03 04:00 PM Re: THE CAT. Jazz Tune
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Not familiar with the tune, but I wonder if Yamaha had that particualar song in mind when they came up with the 'CatGroove style which is included in both the PSR2000 and Tyros. - Scott

#178216 - 05/05/03 06:32 PM Re: THE CAT. Jazz Tune
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
if its the one i'm thinking of. i have a version of it by jimmy smith jazz organist
of th 60's. in fact most of my playing
was and is influenced by him. the album is
is "the best of jimmy smith" on the verve
label. hope this helps.
wrinkles303

#178217 - 05/05/03 11:42 PM Re: THE CAT. Jazz Tune
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Yes, "The cat" is a song made famous by Jimmy Smith and it's also worshipped by all his admirers/wannabes because he does a lot of impressive soloing on it; besides, since it moves along a basic blues progression (I-IV-V) it's relatively easy to relate the notes played with the chords.
Scott, you guessed right: the style featured on the Tyros was made after that song (Ketron has a similar style on the SD1, but I don't remember the name right now and since I am not at home, I cannot check it).

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 05-05-2003).]

#178218 - 05/05/03 11:58 PM Re: THE CAT. Jazz Tune
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
The Cat.Yes I think we are all on the same page here. With me hearing Rod Pooley play it on the Hammond B3, it does now you mention it possibly relate to Jimmy Smith.
Green Onions is a similar type of tune. Thank you all for your input.
Catgroove Style on my 9000Pro is as you say ideal to play it to.

I am just so puzzled that a web search does not come up with a midi file name The Cat.
I would like to learn it, that the reason for wanting a midi file from which I can print a lead sheet Melody & Chords.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 05-06-2003).]

#178219 - 05/06/03 02:33 AM Re: THE CAT. Jazz Tune
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Graham,
I am afraid that a midifile of "The cat" does not exist, because it would take too much of an accomplished player to record it and -besides- that's not the kind of song that can lure the average audience.
Thinking better of it, on the 9000 pro there is another style which would be perfect to play "The cat" and "Baby elephant walk" as well (again, I cannot remember the name, but I will check later at home).

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online