SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#178038 - 11/02/06 06:22 PM Getting the gig?
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
So we've rehearsed, got a good solid song list, great promo kit...

Any suggestions on getting gigs?

How do you reach the decision maker?

Ever play for free or do the 'Pay to Play' thing?

If you are in an area that speciallizes in one kind of music and you do another like in Hawaii is that an advantage or a disadvantage?

Thanks

TP123

#178039 - 11/03/06 11:00 AM Re: Getting the gig?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Gotta play what people want to hear, no matter where you are.....

I always tell myself 'I can play what I want to hear 20 hours a day, at home. the other four hours I'm in front of the audience, I'll play what THEY want to hear". It seems to work out well..........

#178040 - 11/03/06 02:17 PM Re: Getting the gig?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by TP123:

Any suggestions on getting gigs?

How do you reach the decision maker?

Ever play for free or do the 'Pay to Play' thing?

If you are in an area that speciallizes in one kind of music and you do another like in Hawaii is that an advantage or a disadvantage?

Thanks

TP123

Compared to others I'm still a new comer to playing gigs been at it for just under 2 years. I find that you have to be as much as a sales guy as you do a musician. I've spent many a lunch hour from my day job in my car calling potential clients at retirement homes on my cell phone. Sometimes it takes 5 phone calls before I reach the decision maker(activity director). Once I reach the director I give a sales pitch and tell them I will send a promo package. A number of times after they hear that I've played other retirement homes they just give me a date. Going back about 18 months ago my wife also assisted by sending promo packages to all the local hotels and banquet facilities. I've got a number of gigs that way as well. It's now a point where word of mouth is in action. But I still spend some lunch hours in the car making calls.

On the play for tips I've gave that try at coffee houses, Starbucks and a couple of local venues. Only one of the locations worked out where the tips were worth playing for.I still play there about every 6 weeks.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 11-03-2006).]

#178041 - 11/03/06 03:59 PM Re: Getting the gig?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tom,

After putting together a professional package, one that includes a bio, song list, CD, photo, business card, and testimonials, the next step is selling the product, which in this case is you. You have to essentially be a good salesman, public relations person, and above all, a good entertainer.

One of the first niteclub jobs I landed was at a local American Legion, a place I now refer to as the Blood & Guts Saloon. It was a smoke-filled bar where the locals gathered to get plastered and have some fun dancing. In order to get my foot in the door I offered to perform a free one-hour gig on an off night, an evening when they didn't normally have entertainment. The manager said "How about coming in about 5 p.m. on Sunday."

That Sunday was a nasty, rainy day, a bit cold and there were about a dozen rednecks siting at the bar sucking on cigarettes and sipping beer. When I walked in the door with my equipment I got the fish-eye stare that scares the hell of most people, and no one said a word. It was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop.

After setting up the gear, I looked around the room and took notice of the folks at the bar, of which a few were wearing cowboy hats. I fired up the keyboard and the first song I performed was "Swingin' Doors A Jukebox And A Bar-room." They loved it and I played there for another six years. The starting pay back then for 4 hours was $100, and when I left six years later I was getting $175--not lots of money, but better than the current average pay for this type of venue.

Once you become established, you will be able to quickly expand to other venues, and in a few years, if you play what the audiences want to hear, you will have more business than you can handle.

Good Luck old friend,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#178042 - 11/03/06 05:13 PM Re: Getting the gig?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
TP-

I don't know if this approach could work for you, but I had great success with it.

When I was starting out, I knew Nursing Homes/Retirement Communites and Senior Centers were going to be a big part of my client list. So, I would make a pre-visit phone call to find out who the Activity Director was. (The decision maker)I'd then put on some nice clothes...Nice shirt/sweater/pants...Not usually a sport coat or anything. I'd have my promo pack with me, and plan to visit several facilities in a given day. I walk in...ask to see so & so...Most of the time, I'd do this at the lunch hour...This is when many of the residents would be eating their meals in the dining, which, is also where the piano usually is. The AD comes out...shake hands, give her the promo pack and find out if she uses paid entertainment. (Some don't)...Then, as the conversation seems to be wrapping up, I'd say something like this:

"I'm sure you get phone calls all the time from people interested in being hired by you. I've heard from other AD's that that's a difficult way for you to really know what you're getting."

At that point, I was shocked by how many AD's immediately launched into their favorite horror story onhow they got burned.

Then I'd say:

"..Well, if you have a piano handy, I'd be happy to sit down right now and play/sing a few songs for any residents that you want to round up. That way, you'll know if I can do what I say I can and if your residents will like it. If they do, maybe we could look at some dates. If they don't, we'll shake hands and I won't take up any more of your time."

It wasn't perfect, but honest to god, It was darn close. I'd play 2-3 songs, mostly upbeat and sing...I made sure I made eye contact the residents she brought over. I must've acquired close to 60 accounts that way. Once you get rolling, you ask for other facilities they might suggest to you. Also, ask if the AD participates in something called area "RAP Meetings" (RAP=Recreation/Activity Professional) These meetings are usually held on a monthly basis and a dozen or so AD's get together and share resources...a terrific way to network. I've also offered to come in (years ago)and play a few songs for the attendeed at such a meeting, again with great results.

Over the last 10+ years, dozens of AD's have reminded me how they met me when I walked in. They often say it was the best impression any entertainer ever made to them...mainly because, I made it easy for them to make a decision.

That's about as close I ever came to playing for free.

Gary's story also is a good way, but as I'm sure he'd tell you...try and make sure if you ARE going to play for free, its a club that holds real promise. If its a club that rarely usues entertaiment, sure....you might be the guy the changes all that...but probably not. Better to target a club you know books X number of days of live music per month.

Bottom line, I try my best to make it easy for new clients to hire me and almost impossible to NOT keep booking me...Professionalism, price, volume discounts, interaction with residents (HUGELY important-MORE important than your actual musical skill, IMO..., etc...

Good luck...any other questions-fire away...There's a ton of experience on this board that can answer on this thread!

Bill in Dayton

www.billcorfield.com

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 11-03-2006).]

#178043 - 11/03/06 05:48 PM Re: Getting the gig?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I do everything wrong. I mostly wait for people to call me. In recent years I've started turning down any place that has too much smoke.
I've raised my prices quite a bit also. I'm not working as much, but making more money when I do. If you deliver the goods, and act professionally, the jobs will come.
You have to arrive on time, dress appropriately, treat the place as if it were your own. Play the kind of music they want to hear, whether they know it ahead of time or not.
I never have understood why musicians will work so hard for a job, doing something they love to do, then want to take extended breaks all night.
Gary does it the right way, and I used to do all that too. It will work. And it is necessary to get started in your career.
Only freebies I've ever done were at my wife's church. I usually got other jobs from that, and they hire me for parties when funds are available.
One serious word of advice: Don't work too cheap. Once you establish a price at a place, it's usually impossible to get an increase, regardless of what they tell you up front. "Play for X$ for a while, and when you build it up, I'll pay more". Don't believe it. It's more likely the Easter Bunny will polish your golf clubs for you.
DonM

#178044 - 11/03/06 05:33 PM Re: Getting the gig?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
this is a great topic.The kind topic/answers that makes SZ great.

Where are the other OMB seniors like Scott Yee,UD ,etc ?

#178045 - 11/03/06 06:05 PM Re: Getting the gig?
travlin'easy Offline

It's Friday night, and I suspect that UD and Scott are both working. I just returned from a double, I'm off tomorrow and have another double on Sunday--just another fun day in the life of an OMB entertainer!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#178046 - 11/03/06 10:39 PM Re: Getting the gig?
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
Thanks all. Great info. I'm hip to the Senior Center thing and for a OMB its great but as a R&R and Blues duo there's really no fit there. We have no real interest in playing Hawaiian or reggae so we'll see. The one thing we do have going for us is that there are not a whole lot of classic rock bands here and we're good. We got a good 6 song demo CD, brochure and web site... if the gods are kind we'll be workin this holiday season.

Do you think its worth paying an agent 15%?
Thanks again!

#178047 - 11/04/06 06:20 AM Re: Getting the gig?
travlin'easy Offline

Tom,

At one time I had four agents, and a couple provided me with a fair number of jobs during the first year or so. However, I always told them that I really didn't care what they charged the client--my fee for my services was for me and he or she could tack on their charges to the client's bill.

I also refused to sign any agreement with the agents that would not allow that customer to book me in the future without going through the agent. Of course there was a reasonable time frame of one year for this clause in their contracts. In your situation, especially living in an area that relies heavily on tourism, an agent or two might be a good option for becoming established.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online