Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#157838 - 01/18/07 06:03 AM Hammond video and mp3 demos
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)

#157839 - 01/18/07 06:25 AM Re: Hammond video and mp3 demos
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks! I saw Tony on the floor of the Indianapolis summer NAMM and, later that evening at a small club. The new "B" is impressive (and expensive), but it "ain't" the original.

Russ

#157840 - 01/18/07 07:57 AM Re: Hammond video and mp3 demos
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
If you're saying the new B3 just doesn't quite sound like the original, I'd have to strongly disagree. I have never played the New B3, but I've heard enough of it to be convinced, it sounds just like the original. I own one of Tony's CD's and he used the New B3 on a few of the tracks. I also own an XK-3, which is exactly the same as the New B3, with the exception of multi-contact keys, separate C/V on and off buttons for each manual, and the layout. I play it thru a Leslie 142 that I put together myself. In between the Leslie and XK-3 is a Speakeasy Vintage Tube Preamp to warm up the dry tone. I also regularly play a C3 and 122. If there is a difference, my ears can't tell the difference. I find the best way to compare the two is by unplugging the slow motors and switch off the tremolo. The same warm tone that the C3 produced when the rotors were stopped has been recaptured in the XK3. I thought it was impossible without using a real tonewheel organ, but the XK-3 changed my mind about that.

Just for the record, Hammond-Suzuki did not pay me to post this.

Oh and about the demo's, just an FYI. If you go to Google Video's and search for like New B3, XK1, XK3, etc, all those videos are on there and they are better quality. And if you use FireFox and you have the VideoDownloader extension, you can download Google Video's in AVI format.

Take care.

[This message has been edited by RyanS (edited 01-18-2007).]

#157841 - 01/18/07 11:20 AM Re: Hammond video and mp3 demos
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ryan, I played the nebw "B" at NAMM and play my "B" and a 147 8 or 10 times a month. I'm not sure what the Leslie was at Indianapolis, but it was likely a transistor model, and that could have been the difference. I much prefer 145's 147's or the 122 you use (anything with tubes).

I notice tone differences much more when I'm playing rather than just listening. Also, the "it ain't an original" comment is an expression of affection for my old B, which I have played since the early 70's, quirks and all. Old ones have individual personalities...things that just don't work all the time...minor repairs that need to be done, etc. Add to that Leslie belts of various tightness. Not knocking the new ones, just prefer my old one. If I didn't own an old B I would probably bite the bullet and get the new one. Particularly like the component feature. Would take some time to break down but would be easier for occasional moves.

R.

#157842 - 01/19/07 08:47 AM Re: Hammond video and mp3 demos
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
Some people even say Hammond-Suzuki's new tube amps are junk compared to the originals. The 142 I put together has a new Hammond-Suzuki 122 amp in it and to me it sounds just fine.

I see what you mean though. The wear and tear on a Hammond can sometimes result in a sound that you grow to love and can't seem to reproduce on the new digital organs.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online