SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#177890 - 07/21/00 11:03 AM Solton is undependable
Beakybird Offline

I have had so many problems with Solton and my X1. It is less than a year old. I bought it used from Skip Spane, and I have complete faith that there wasn't anything wrong with it when I got it. At first, everything seemed to work fine. I ordered the 13 switch footpedal and the harmonizer. One of the switches on the footswitch didn't work. I had to return that. The new one worked, but I came with a faulty screw pin that I had to replace with the old one I hadn't returned yet. Then I installed the harmonizer, and that didn't work. I had to return that. The new one works. When I started gigging with the X1, I experienced that the volume of the speakers went in and out completely after playing for about a half an hour and got progressively worse the more I played. I sent the unit to New York as it was under warranty. When I got the X1 back, I noticed that four of the bass keys made a metallic clink sound when I played them. Since the employees at Bell Solton are at the NAAM convention, I have to wait for them to come back for them to even speak to me (I will acknowledge that they are very nice). On the work order that came with my returned X1, it stated that they changed some parts and tested the unit by playing songs on it for three hours. I just went to practice my X1 with the slightly flawed keys, and after a half an hour of playing, I'm experiencing the same problem with the sound going out on me in the middle of my playing! Does this type of stuff happen with other keyboards? I'm frustrated,

Beakybird

#177891 - 07/21/00 01:59 PM Re: Solton is undependable
DannyUK Offline

Hi there BeakyBird,

I can only sympathise with you as I too have experienced problems with my X1. The following is what I have found:

1. Faulty Display (where it completely cuts out sometimes and I had to tap the display to get the light to work again).

2. Faulty HD, where 90% of the time the keyboard did not recognise it was there, then all of a sudden it would.

3. The right speaker would occasionally fade out, making it sound like it was fully balanced to the left. Again, a tap on the side would sort it out, but then it would re-occurr after an hour or so.

4. Occasional read write errors on the FD drive. Even after cleaning, there was still problems.

5. O/S crashes or freezes during a performance OR when sequencing a song.

These are the problems I was & am still getting. The display problem turned out that the 'tube' had gone, in which needed replacing as was.

The HD was faulty, that was replaced also.

The speaker problems aparently has something to do with the amplifier being faulty, though I have not had this fixed yet as it has not happened for a while now and I cant be bothered to send it in for the 4th time now.

And the O/S system, theres nothing that I can do about it because it still crashes even with the up to date versions.

Even with all these problems, I still think the X1 is the best I have personally used and heard to date and I would not change it for anything at the moment.

DannyUK

#177892 - 07/22/00 05:57 AM Re: Solton is undependable
Ilija Petkovski Offline

Loc: Apeldoorn
With all respect:

But every instrument has sometimes problems which DOESNT occur on other same instruments. It is like buying a car, maybe your 3-series was bad, but the main stream is good.

I hope it works out for you all.

Ilija
(Korg i30 owner)

#177893 - 08/03/00 09:06 AM Re: Solton is undependable
chacha Offline

Loc: tunisia
i have other problems with my first x1 and now the firm in tunisia give me another one after one week my vocaliser stop working and somedays it work i dont know what can i do ????????
chedly saada

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online