SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17786 - 11/14/98 03:00 AM 0/1Wfd syx-file loading problems, STILL!
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
Well, guess I'll try AGAIN! I have a lot of syx. and Zip files I can't get loaded into my 0/1Wfd! I'm USING a proper 720k disk formatted in the Korg, but when I unzip a file (for example) and then try to send it to the PC's 3.5" drive, all I get are "cannot transfer or create file" messages. I've also tried running Diskimage on some of what I have that call for it; same thing. Files won't transfer. Can ANYone explain in simple English what the procedure is for getting ANY type format onto a disk I can hand-carry to my Korg and simply PLAY without all this B.S.? I can't think of anything else to do and its maddening to find so many sound files on the Net I'd LIKE to check out, only to hit the wall all the time. SURELY there's a simple, direct fix for this! HELP!

#17787 - 11/14/98 06:30 PM Re: 0/1Wfd syx-file loading problems, STILL!
WS Offline

Well,
I posted this answer when you first asked it but I don't know if you tried it or not. Your PC software may reformat it for you. If you use cakewalk go to save as and then choose the same format as your Korg. Try the same with whatever editor/librarian, sequence, editing, software you may have.
I don't know which is which so you will just have to spend all of 2 minutes to figure out if your Korg is format 0 or format 1.

#17788 - 11/14/98 07:04 PM Re: 0/1Wfd syx-file loading problems, STILL!
HellPope Huey Offline

Well, it'd be nice if I USED Cakewalk, but as I said, I choose NOT to plug my PC into the system because I'd rather play than wrestle with IRQ conflicts and all the other misery that afflicts my pals who tolerate the screwed-up world of Windows. Everyone keeps dodging the idea that the 01 can be a virtual stand-alone environment. I just want to dump the patch files onto a disk I can then insert into the Korg and PLAY! I respect the power a PC CAN provide, but I just don't need it for my work. Surely there's a way to get the darned thing to read an syx. file loaded to disk ON the PC and GIVE! Diskimage hasn't worked yet and even when I use WinZip on the zipped syx. files I've got, still no go. I keep getting VERY frustrating half-way instructions from people who think the PC world is the only one to live in, but I BOUGHT the 0/1Wfd so I wouldn't HAVE to wrestle with that. When I say "hand-carry" from the PC to the Korg, I'm serious! No MIDI card, no cable spaghetti, no 6-hour troubleshooting marathons, no endless reboots, just plug and PLAY! Surely there are at least a few sympathetic Mac users out there who know what it means to just WORK without bending over for the durned machinery. Again, I feel certain I'm simply missing some simple aspect of the situation, but AARRGGHH! My preferred method may seem wonky to PC devotees, but my money and patience are limited, so I'm stuck where I am. My baby performed like a champ until I went for those files off the Net and now I'm FLOUNDERING in same! Ptooey! Thanx for trying all the same-just wish I could solve this one.

#17789 - 11/15/98 02:20 AM Re: 0/1Wfd syx-file loading problems, STILL!
WS Offline

I did not say anything about plugging your 01w into a PC or Mac. You said you want to hand carry a floppy from your PC to your 01w. I told you how to reformat it in SAVE AS in differents software programs...not just Cakewalk. I can do it in over 10 music software programs that I have. Cakewalk was just an example, and like I said, editor/libs., and many other kinds of music softwar programs.. If you don't know this, can save a file to a floppy disk, a hard drive, a zip drive, a jazz drive, a cdr, a cdrw....get the point. Well, you need to save it to a floppy in the Korg format and the you can walk it over to your synth.
Gesshhh...just trying to help.

#17790 - 11/15/98 02:27 AM Re: 0/1Wfd syx-file loading problems, STILL!
WS Offline

I'm serious! No MIDI card, no cable spaghetti, no 6-hour troubleshooting marathons, no endless reboots, just plug and PLAY! Surely there are at least a few sympathetic Mac users out there who know what it means to just WORK without bending over for the durned machinery.

I think your quote above says where you are coming from....sort of. Are you saying a Mac will automatically reformat a zip but a PC won't?

#17791 - 11/15/98 07:24 PM Re: 0/1Wfd syx-file loading problems, STILL!
HellPope Huey Offline

Nah, I just sympathize with Mac adherents because the Mac system really IS plug-&-play most of the time. I have a pal who does desktop publishing/graphics for a small newspaper and laughs about being able to keep working while the PC network goes down all the time. If that $#@!*& Steve Jobs had released his op code when home computers were starting up, I doubt the often clunky Windows setup would be sitting on everyone's faces today! Why should we be stuck with VHS when the cleaner, more compact Beta is what TV STATIONS use? Marketing can sure BITE! I DO appreciate my PC, but the system's needless cracks still show, y'know?
I WILL wrestle with my lil' prob some more-I think I get the picture now. Sorry to be so dense; everybody has "dumb" areas and this was one of mine. I can crack a sys-ex chart & troubleshoot a lot of things, but this one ate my lunch! Oh well...thanx again!

#17792 - 11/15/98 10:33 PM Re: 0/1Wfd syx-file loading problems, STILL!
WS Offline

Since Mac can read Windows now (I don't know how it handles music software) it does make more since to own a Mac since the price of Ram has gone down. I had a friend that bought the extra 40+ megs of ram when it was $50 per and spent over $2000 just to run windows...he could have bought a PC and owned both.

#17793 - 11/16/98 01:15 AM Re: 0/1Wfd syx-file loading problems, STILL!
HellPope Huey Offline

Makes sense to me! Windows uses a lot of what is called interleaving in its operation, which eats up RAM & processor time needlessly when outside programs try to do their thing. Of course, when its all moving lickety-split, you may not notice it, but when there's trouble w/Windows, it often comes down to that "do it our way 'cause we're the phone company" attitude. Microsoft ACTS like its the only game in town and some of the software shows it. There ARE great PC apps, but Macs had the right stuff at the outset. Still, Keyboard magazine's reviews of music software for the Mac shows that it ain't anywhere NEAR dead yet; in fact, some of the earlier programs have been neatly refined. Keyboard is truthful, fair and have the savvy to give you a lot of needed detail. "They" always push you to acquire more power, but if you aren't running 4 programs simultaneously, you'll probably never notice any meaningful hitches.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online