SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#177797 - 01/26/01 03:11 AM MZ2000 vs PSR740 detailed comparison by an onwer of both
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Well, it looks like my original post vanished
and I could not sign on last night .. maybe a glitch? Oh Uncle Dave, I'm not sure about the question you asked me. Haven't tried tried the mic yet..but I played the 740 into the inputs of the mz and was able to use the mz onboard effects with the external sound source. The 740 sounds great coming thru the mz onboard sound system by the way. I recently purchased the MZ 2000 and have owned the 740 for over a year. I also tried out the PSR9000 but I just couldn't fork out the extra bucks right now. The 9000 was awesome and heads and shoulders above the 740 in features and dfunctions, but you would expect that at 2 and a half times the price. What was somewhat similar were the voices and the arrangements as heard thru headphones and later an amp, so I went in a different direction and got the MZ.
and still have a couple of bucks in my pocket
to eat with this week ..lol. In reading this comparison remember, this is what I hear from the boards, and I don't play out much right now. I compose at home a lot and someday hope I can get enough time to polish these compositions, so my needs and wants may be different than yours.

Ease of use: Both boards are easy to navigate
although I am still in the learning mode on the MZ. The MZ has more features tio be sure though. The manual on the MZ is clear to me and even though the board is different from the 740 in many ways, the experience I have with the 740 and a 530 before does help.
winner : even

Features: the 740 has some nice features but the sequencer is very limited. Of course it also has the vocal harmonizer ( which I dont use all that much ), the mz does not. Apart from that the mz totally outshines the 740 in the features dept. It has many of the features of a good computer based sequencer program including step sequencing and the ability to tear down parts of any standard midi file ( you have to convert to format 0 ) , and create user styles out of them. The mz has aftertouch 740 does not. Both have ample registration memories. mz stores 10 user styles in memory - 740 only 3. mz stores 10 user songs internally, 740 stores none. Both have disk drive functions so that additional user styles, registration memories and user songs can be stored on disk. Both have pitch and mod wheels and second pedal which controls variety of functions. For me though the shining feature of the mz is the built in synth. You can perform actual synth mods on any of the voices and so far seems to work great. You can also store 20 user voices internally and as many as you want on disk. One small disappointment on mz. Can't change sustain pedal polarity internally ( 740 can ). Can't use my current pedals properly so I have to purchase a new one.( they work backwards )
Winner : mz big unless the vocalizer is an essential function for you

Auto accomp: 740 has 160 internally, mz has 120. mz seems to be a bit smoother sounding but the 740 has better patterns overall. Both have similar functions for modifying built in styles, but it would appear that mz has more ability to apply effects and changes. Both have 4 variations per styl;s, 2 intros and endings. In addition MZ has rit and fade functions. 740 has huge advantage in that many styles are available on the net. Mz has virtually none and can use no other manufacturers styles that are available on the net. XG works software is my savior here. It also can use any of the correctly converted and readily available internal PSR styles like an arranger board does, so I can hear the yamaha styles on the mz and they sound good there. Also with the midi file to style conversion function on the mz I can convert any type of style to a midi file , load it into the mz, and break it back down to create an mz user style.

Voices : Pianos: 740 has gerat acoustic and those old cp and dx electric sounds. mz acoustic not as good but electrics are very nice. winner: 740
organs: both have awesome organs and drawbar
functions . winner : even
Accordians: even except the mz has awful harmonica sound. 740s is much better
Guitars: both have very good acoustic guitar sounds Mz has much better electric and distorted guitar sounds. winner MZ
Bass: acoustic and standard electrics winner: 740 , synth and tech basses winner : mz
Strings: both have great ensemble sounds but I don't care for the solio violins in either
winner: even
brass and horns: both are pretty good; winner: even
sax: both have nice sax sounds , but 740 gets the edge because growl function on sax responds to touch sensitivity, mz does not
Flutes: 740 gets the edge with that sweet flute sound
Synth sounds: both have nice internal synth sounds but the mz is a clear winner here with its built in synth function.
Drums: mz has 15 kits , 740 has about 13 if I remember right. sdtandard kits: I give a slight edge to the 740 here. Electric/ fx kits: I give the mz the edge here.

Key feel : Big edge to the mz.. It isn't the greatest out there I suppose but I really dislike the plasticy feell of the 740

Onboard sound system and effects: Both
have a ton of useful effects and some I could live without. MZ to me has a better sounding onboard sound system
Conclusion: If I HAD to choose between the 2 boards, and could keep only 1 of them overall for MY needs and wants because of its functionality the MZ would be the hands down winner. But since I don't there is no way I am parting with either. There are a few sounds on the 740 that the mz just can't compare to. My advice though is to spend some time with ANY board you plan to purchase ( I always do ). I know this isn't always easy to do unless you are near a guy like George Kaye. So few stores especiaslly here in the East have a good variety of mid upper end to high end arrangers, and the ones that do have a few don't have an abundance of people who know anything about the boards
Al M

#177798 - 01/26/01 08:30 AM Re: MZ2000 vs PSR740 detailed comparison by an onwer of both
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks for the comparison..... I've been considering the MZ-2000 for sometime now. The best price I've found for it is $1099.00 Is this close to what you paid? Thing is that there is NO dealer around here that even keeps casio in stock. I've been wanting to try out the MZ, but don't know where to find one. Quick question about the sequencer on the MZ.... It's listed to hold 40,000 notes and have copy and paste and all that other good stuff, but does it have overdub and can you set a loop, or does it only do overdubbing an looping under the style sequencer.....

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#177799 - 01/26/01 03:20 PM Re: MZ2000 vs PSR740 detailed comparison by an onwer of both
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Hi squeak.. I paid 1079 at Sam ash. They had it listed at 1299 but when I showed the salesman that ZSounds on the net has it for 1079, they matched the price. I made a zillion calls and then had to drive to NY City ( 110 miles away ) to try the board but I will not spend that kind of money on a piece of equipment without trying it out. I haven't done a whole lot with the internal sequencer yet, as I have been more interested in compatability with the xg works software and using different external styles, but according to tyhe manual I can overdub in step or real mode and I believe I can loop as well, but until I actually try it I won't swear to it. The one other comparison I forgot which I had mentioned in my origianl post ( which appears to have been a victim of yesterday's glitch ) was appearance. The mz is a sleek looking board and has a "pro" look to it, the 740 is plain and not very attractive, but then again neither are "pro" boards right?...lol. I personally couldn't care less, as functionality is important to me, but then again I don't play in public very often at this point, although that may change. Of course there is that brand name thing too, but my point here is, if I were to play out, I will choose MY tools. When I did carpentry work, I would go out of my way to give the customer everything he asked for, but noone would tell me they'd prefer me to use a Bosch saw when my choice was a DeWalt. When I learn all the nuances of the sequencer and get more familiar with the other functions I will add to this post. Take care Squeak
Al M

#177800 - 01/26/01 03:38 PM Re: MZ2000 vs PSR740 detailed comparison by an onwer of both
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks bluezplayer... Man I really want this board.. I've heard so many good reviews on it. I just wish I could find a place in my area to try one out. I'm like you in that I don't buy anything that expensive without trying it out first.. Keep me posted... Thanks,

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#177801 - 01/26/01 11:05 PM Re: MZ2000 vs PSR740 detailed comparison by an onwer of both
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great review Bluezplayer. You're right, your post did vanish. I wrote one of my rare replys that took me hours to compose, but it must have been such a masterpiece it blew the whole damn topic including yours, mine and others off the forum. I'll try to recall it but of course I won't be able to duplicate the very creative original (tongue in cheek).

I also have a Yamaha PSR740 that I have had l0 months (but was gone 7 months of that time). I was a very poor organ player years ago and decided to try a portable keyboard, so I am just a beginner in this area. I had been reading about the Casio MZ2000 and was really intrigued with the organ drawbar sliders. Although there are dealers in this area that sell Casio, no one had the high end (for Casio) MZ2000. George Kaye, whom I bought the PSR 740 from, posted he had seen one at NAMM was very impressed. He is not presently a Casio dealer. Anyway, three weeks ago I ordered a MZ2000 from Music123.com ($1099.00 total) with a 30 day money back trial. Let me state that in no way am I dissatified with the 740, I want to be clear on that. But, the only way to try a MZ2000 was to order one. I still have 7 days to return it.

Bluezplayer, your review is much more detailed and complete than I could give. My eyes glaze over after page 20 of the owners manual of either manual. My report is through the eyes of a rookie hobby player, but I bet there are others reading this who can relate. I hope this helps.

I DO like the organ drawbar sliders on the MZ2000. The 740 has organ drawbars but they are onscreen and I don't find it easy to navigate. The MZ2000 has sliders I can actually put my hands on. I like that. That may not be important to most people, but it is to me. I do not know of another keyboard in this price range with that feature. It is NOT a Hammond B-3, but is not $8,000 either.

The voices and styles are comparable with either, it is a matter of choice. Neither is as good as a high end arranger. When hooked up to a home stereo or keyboard amp they bridge the gap however. If I had to make a choice, I would favor the 740 on both styles and voices, but again very close.

Ease of use. I love the keypad (like a push button telephone) of the PSR 740. For example if I want a banjo sound, I hit voice Rl then #130 on the keypad, if I want bluegrass I hit style then #097 on the keypad and before you know it I am blowing out a bad rendition of the Kingston Trio's 1950's "The MTA" ( yeah, I AM old). You can scroll to that with either keyboard but this is easier. I am surprised higher end keyboards do not have this feature (although I do seem to recall George Kaye mentioning the new Solton SDl does). Advantage 740.

Keyboard feel. The MZ2000 feels like a more expensive keyboard. The 740 does not.

Cosmetics. I could care less what keyboards look like (car styles yes, keyboards no)as mine will never leave my house unless I move. For those who do care, the MZ2000 IS sturdier, bigger, and more macho looking.

I have been considering using both keyboards as a two manual organ, left hand on one board, right on another. I even bought a Bespeco two-tiered stand. I haven't found the correct adjustment with the right amount of gap between the two to do this and still sit down on my adjustable bench. How do you pros do that? Yeah, I know, I know, you stand when you are performing, but I am never going to perform and I am too old and lazy to stand. I guess just get a taller adjustable bench-does it ever end? Then when I get drunk and want to dazzle my friends with my newfound musical ability, I can fall from a higher and wobblier bench and really knock myself out!

Ideally, if I could find a 76 key keyboard with the features of both these keyboards and not cost twice what these do combined, that would make my life a lot simpler and I am simple. I have 7 days, any suggestions?

Regards,
Jack

P.S. By the way, did you notice how I did not recommend one keyboard over the other? It is not because I am clever, rather I can't decide and am greedy and will probably keep both. Unless a 76 key comes along, then------------?

#177802 - 01/26/01 11:20 PM Re: MZ2000 vs PSR740 detailed comparison by an onwer of both
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Jack,
I use an office-type seat (from Office Depot) instead of a bench. It has a pneumatic adjustment, a nice soft seat for us old-timers, and a spring-supported back. I usually set my stand so that I could play standing up, or sitting with the seat/stool/chair/whatyoucallit at its highest position.
It looks better to stand up and seems to generate better rapport with the audience, but I do like to use two foot switchs and a volume pedal, and that is easier when I'm seated.
It's always something, isn't it?
DonM
P.S. Bite the bullet and get a PSR9000 Pro. Have your wife pay the difference.

#177803 - 01/27/01 12:29 AM Re: MZ2000 vs PSR740 detailed comparison by an onwer of both
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi DonM

I would look at the PSR9000 Pro but BECAUSE of two ex-wifes and no current wife I can't bite the bullet and pay the difference!!

Jack

#177804 - 01/27/01 10:07 PM Re: MZ2000 vs PSR740 detailed comparison by an onwer of both
tommyde Offline

Loc: Dallas TX USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Gittleson:
I have been considering using both keyboards as a two manual organ, left hand on one board, right on another. I even bought a Bespeco two-tiered stand. I haven't found the correct adjustment with the right amount of gap between the two to do this and still sit down on my adjustable bench. How do you pros do that?

Hello Jack,

I use several different X-type double-stands for gigging. On the Quik-lok type, you tilt and lock the top vertical braces at an angle so as to lower the height, either in or out. The length of the keyboard is a determining factor, but this results in the top keyboard being lowered, and tilted downward, at an angle that's easier to reach from a sitting position (I only play sitting down... that's why I took up the piano in the first place! ).
An Ultimate Support Apex stand can be a good choice for putting the keys where you want them, both boards level, and it's a fairly quick setup. I've had one of these for some time, and am still trying to figure out how to get my PK5 bass pedals to fit under the durn thing where I can reach everything and still kick bass and work the gas pedal.

I used to use an A-frame Ultimate support stand, but the appearance is too music-storish for performance, and the tinker-toy setup process was annoying.
The A-frame does give you plenty of options for configuring the spacing of your boards, as well as module placement, and if you're just setting up your rig for home, could be worth a look.

Hope this helps.

- tommyde ~

#177805 - 01/28/01 05:11 AM Re: MZ2000 vs PSR740 detailed comparison by an onwer of both
Beakybird Offline

I make a living performing in nursing homes and schools, and the PSR 740 is the only instrument I can see that completely fits my needs.

For someone who travels to several one-hour, sometimes forty-five minute performances a day, the PSR 740 has one major advantage over the PSR 9000 - It weighs only 22 lbs. I couldn't possibly lug the PSR 9000 to all of those places.

The X1 was also too heavy for my needs. It also had other limitations that made it more difficult for live playing.

For venues where I need extra volume, I bring along some extra light speakers. I have been using Labtec computer speakers (6 watts per channel), but I'm moving up to the Numark M-40 (20 watts per channel) because once in a while I play in a big room.

The vocalizer on the PSR 740, when used in moderation, really thicken up my vocals.

The PSR 740 has 163 onboard styles including 3 loaded styles. Loading styles from disk can be done quickly enough for performances. The MZ 2000 has only 130 onboard styles including 10 loaded styles. How long does it take to load a style from disk?

The PSR 740 has a groove feature that the PSR 9000 doesn't have. This puts a swing into a straight-on beat and vice-versa. I do use it sometimes.

The PSR 740 is pretty sturdy. I do a lot of gigging and keep it in a cloth case. It keeps on working. I've only had a loose adapter connection which a friend of mine with welding experience fixed.

The PSR 740 has made me very popular as a performer. I wish I had the money to have a PSR 9000 or an X1, or maybe even an MZ 2000 inside my home studio. But for lugging around everywhere, the PSR 740 is close to ideal. If it only had a @#!%* hard drive, I would venture to say that it was ideal!

#177806 - 01/28/01 10:24 AM Re: MZ2000 vs PSR740 detailed comparison by an onwer of both
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Bluezplayer
Thanks for the post & re-post! I tried to reply to your original post, too, and SynthZone went down. I really appreciate you taking the time to post again. I have a 740 and love it. But I fooled around with a Casio WK1800 one day, and really liked it, too. I would like to check out the MZ2000, but nobody carries it. I'll bet I would be as impressed by you with it. For $1000, it's a great deal.
Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online