SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#177330 - 03/17/01 08:25 AM Rootless Chords on the Karma
Clif Anderson Offline

The Korg Karma sometimes recognizes rootless chord voicings. For example, sometimes,

F-C-E is Dm7(9)
F-B-E is G7(13)
E-A-D is C6(13)
B-F-A is G7(9)

Also, sometimes
G-B-D is Cmaj7-9.

This occurs on combi E126 , which, as you might expect, involves a piano sounds, a bass, and brush drums. Basically, you can silently let the bass know what the root is and then play the piano part with the rootless chord voicing. In the factory setup, the keyboard is split so that the bottom two octaves can be used for specifying the root. However, it seems likely that the keyboard could be setup with a foot pedal for silently specifyng the root while leaving the keyboard free for the piano sound.

So in one sense, it is not rootless, because somehow you have to specify the root. However, I think the resulting sound is the same as with rootless voicings. Also, this means that the interpretation of a given piano fingering can change during a song, if that is useful.

#177331 - 03/17/01 09:13 AM Re: Rootless Chords on the Karma
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Clif,

Thanks for reporting the rootless chord voicing capabilities of the Korg Karma's jazz trio combi sound #E126. As far as I know this is Korg's FIRST implementation (abeit limited) into this jazz influenced chord voicing realm. BRAVO!

I am quite perplexed about G-B-D being interpreted as Cmaj7-9 though. Are you sure of this? G-B-D clearly symbolizes a G triad in my book. I agree that G is the 5th of C, B is the maj7th of C, and D is the 9th of C, but the principal tonality which needs to be included (the 3rd of the chord: E or Eb) is missing. I think assigning G-B-D as a CMaj7-9 is a probably a mistake. Addendum: You said (-9). It is generally thought that a (-9) signifies a "flatted 9th", which would make the D a Db rather than "D" which does not agree with the notes played.

Clif, could you please explain the auto-accompaniment capablities (if any) of the Karma? Obviously there is auto-chord recognition but I didn't realize that the Karma had auto-acompaniment too. This has got me very interested.

Thanks,

Scott http://scottyee.com

#177332 - 03/17/01 09:46 AM Re: Rootless Chords on the Karma
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Scott

I am not at my Karma now, I will check the chord later. I was surprised to see the unusual interpretation of G-B-D. It is so clearly a G chord. It may turn out to be a mistake. It is clear that the Karma understands rootless chord voicings and knows what to do with them.

The hard thing to understand about the Karma is how programmable it is. The Karma can do autoaccompaniment at least as well as any arranger keyboard. However, it does not come set up for playing weddings, etc. In the Jazz trio combi, you could play piano, and the Karma would supply the bass and drums, except that you would occassionally inform the bass of the root you wanted.

The Karma not only can handle rootless chord voicings, but also dynamic accompaniment as on Roland and Solton. In otherwords, the accompaniment can vary according to velocity and key pressure.

Some combis allow you to change time signature in real time. Have you ever wanted a 3/4 version of a 4/4 style? No problem here. It is difficult to even scratch the surface of this instrument's capabilities.

#177333 - 03/17/01 10:12 AM Re: Rootless Chords on the Karma
Clif Anderson Offline

Ok, G-B-D is sometimes recognized as

Cmaj7_9

(not Cmaj7-9).

Sorry.

#177334 - 03/17/01 12:29 PM Re: Rootless Chords on the Karma
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Clif,
The Karma sounds like it has some unique features. Though not technically an arranger keyboard, it certainly has many features of an arranger board. I have always loved Korg's fresh and exciting sounds (used to own the 01/W) but I always thought their one weak point was in the (less than desirable) acoustic piano sounds as demonstrated in the(disappointintg) PA80. Can you please tell us how the Karma acoustic piano samples sound? Hope they aren't the same samples as used in the PA80.

Interested in hearing if/how this board could be set up to be used as a one man band auto-accompaniment keyboard. Does the Karma actually have styles (patterns) which you trigger by playing chords or? Please clarify. Thanks.

- Scott

#177335 - 03/17/01 02:32 PM Re: Rootless Chords on the Karma
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Scott

On the Karma, when an arranger-style combi is selected, you play chords, it provides harmonically correct autoaccompaniment. As you suggest, I find the Karma's autoaccompaniment styles "exciting".

The Karma has the same sounds and sound-expansion options (except no sampling) as the Triton. Overall, the sound is fine, but I find the piano to be a weak point--as you suggested. (I have not hear the PA-80--its sound set is derived from the Triton, but it is not the same.) Possibly, the piano on the keyboards EXB card would be an improvement. I have not heard it.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online