SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17728 - 02/19/99 04:54 AM Compatibility between 01/Wfd and ?
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
I'm an inch away from being able to answer this one for myself, but aside from the 01/RW proper, just how friendly is the 01/Wfd with the 03R/W or 05R/W, for instance? I love my 01 and would like to add to the number of voices I can access, but I'd like to be able to simply dump from my 01 TO a module without having to strangle myself with programming a SLIGHTLY different box. Where's the almighty dividing line where such compatibility is concerned? I know I can't dump from an 01 to an X5D, for example, but what else has the same architecture?
Thanks!

#17729 - 02/22/99 12:43 PM Re: Compatibility between 01/Wfd and ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an O1W/fd and a 05R/W I used to have a program that would allow you to dump the 01 down to the 05 but I'm not sure where it is. As far as dumping sounds why would you want to do that? Are you losing polyphony on the O1 or you just looking for more patch's and sounds?

#17730 - 02/22/99 02:34 PM Re: Compatibility between 01/Wfd and ?
Kurzrep Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Though all of the instruments mentioned are similar in the way they operate, the O1/w is actually different from most of the others and therefor patch compatibility does not exist between the 01/W and other instruments from Korg.
The 01/W features waveshaping which none of the other Korg synths do. So it is possible to create sounds on the 01/W that are not possible on any of Korgs other machines. There are also subtle differences in the sample sets that each instrument has. For the most part though it would be fairly easy to re-create many of the 01/W patches on one of the other racks but not all of them. As far as programming, the 01/W has a nice LCD compared to the others too. Getting used to the small screen is a bit of a pain.

Hope this info helps.

Mike Martin
Kurzweil Music Systems

Visit the Kurzweil Connection
http://www.kurzweilconnection.com
and KeySolutions Sample Libraries
http://members.aol.com/keysolutns

#17731 - 02/22/99 06:21 PM Re: Compatibility between 01/Wfd and ?
HellPope Huey Offline

Thanks for the replies! I grok the incompatibility issue now. I'm mainly looking to add to my polyphony so as to be able to make easier use of different patch sets simultaneously, i.e., an orchestral & techno set at the same time without plugging my PC into the loop. That always involves SO much more work! I'd also like a more portable unit to haul around for live work without exposing my base 01/Wfd to the wear n' tear. I usually just need to play live without the sequencer present, but that's life! Perhaps I can lay hands on an 01/RW or 03/RW and a coupla RAM cards someday to cover those bases. Too bad in a way...it'd be real "Jetsons" to have all my 01 sounds in a cigar-box-sized unit I could carry around in my coat pocket like a buncha fake Rolex watches! Thanks again, guys.

#17732 - 02/24/99 12:14 AM Re: Compatibility between 01/Wfd and ?
OK Johnson Offline

Loc: Olympia, Wash. USA
I own an O3R/W. Very close to the O1W in the ROM set. A few minor changes in the multisample set between the two. Actually in Midiquest, you can swap presets between the two. Just have to remember to change the actual multisamples to their proper numbers. No big deal. Just have to be careful.

#17733 - 02/24/99 01:12 AM Re: Compatibility between 01/Wfd and ?
HellPope Huey Offline

Thanks for the tip. Its timely that you'd mention Midiquest, since I've been vacillating between that and SoundDiver as the most likely candidates for upgrading my rig. Considering the workload represented by fiddling with Combis and all the related programs, I like the idea of being able to mix & match without worrying about the source programs proper. While I'd naturally prefer a full-blown 01R/W, the 03 could easily give me the basic things I'm looking for, leaving my 01/Wfd free for the more exotic waveshaped things the other boxes won't do. Thanks for the tip.

#17734 - 02/25/99 01:17 PM Re: Compatibility between 01/Wfd and ?
WS Offline

Actually,
The X5D "does" read the W, M, X, i, and some N series. Maybe the T series too. If you have an X5 you can find zips of these synths at synthzone's korg page....X5 Banks.

#17735 - 02/25/99 11:36 PM Re: Compatibility between 01/Wfd and ?
HellPope Huey Offline

Hm, THAT'S interesting, since I'd sure like to leave the big boy at home and just carry around the much LIGHTER X5D. Encourages me to consider buying one much more seriously.
Two things: Exactly how do I access those banks? I can't seem to find a direct link anywhere...and what format are they in? I don't even have my PC hooked up to my synths as of yet, although I can see the day coming sooner or later. I had unmitigated HELL trying to get diskimag files converted into disk the 01 could read. If you can't crack DOS pretty thoroughly, you're bleeped! Only because one of the guys took pity on me and dumped the files onto some blanks for me was I ever able to HEAR the darned patches... Hence, my "newbie" questions! I can handle sys-ex charts & the like, but there are those pesky brain lesions here and there...

#17736 - 02/26/99 01:55 PM Re: Compatibility between 01/Wfd and ?
Lee Offline

Huey -

There are indeed X5D banks for the presets of the M1, the 01/w, and the N364 available on the WWW. This possible because of the common
AI/AI2 synthesis engines and the similarities of the PCM sample sets. This beeing the case, the X5D still cannot be directly loaded with 01/w sysex files. However, there is an application called PatchMagic that does translate sysex files for the M1 and 01/w into X5-compatible sysex files. A company link is available in the Korg Zone page on this site, I believe. It costs about $50US and it would allow you to develop sound banks on your workstation and the convert them for use on an X5 or X5D.

Hope this helps.

Lee

#17737 - 02/26/99 02:24 PM Re: Compatibility between 01/Wfd and ?
HellPope Huey Offline

That's good to know. Barring a whole new power source, this is about as close to a really GOOD portable keyboard setup as you can get, I think. Aside from techno, the 01 presets cover almost everything else pretty well, so a fair substitute would be welcome. With an X5D and perhaps an Alesis mini-sequencer in tow for some playback, I'd feel a lot better about trying to fly somewhere withOUT having to tow Big Bertha along, worrying about some lackwit baggage handler dropping her along the way!
Thanks for the tip. I haven't felt so good about synths since I gave up trying to crack one of those impenetrable Yamaha OS setups!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online