SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#177275 - 09/27/07 03:29 AM Why I decided to buy Yamaha
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I bought Technics keyboards for 13 years. Whenever I order the new model I would hope that the improvements would warrant the expenditure, I found that I was never disappointed there were enough improvement to keep me happy. As I looked at the big picture I did not have a steep learning curve, I could spend more time playing. Each time a new keyboard came my knowledge of a Technics keyboard grew, I did not have to the basics, so I went into the depth of the keyboard.

With the ending of new Technics keyboards I have decided to move to Yamaha. Are they the best, no it’s not about that. Do they have the best sounds and styles? No it’s not about that, it’s about long term. It’s about being satisfied over a period of time. Yamaha has made nice improvement over the years and I feel there will be no disappointment.

If I wish to enter the land of disappointment then I venture to other brands of keyboards that are better in some areas and not as good as in others. The subject then becomes comparing and relearning – and not my original thought, playing music.

There is joy in getting a new different keyboard, I almost bought a Pa800, but in my case I looked at the complete package and decided that Yamaha over a period of time will keep me happy.

When jobs were plentiful and I was riding high I wanted the best – I needed the best, the money was being made and I could afford the best. Now the best is no longer the best for me, the best is the keyboard that will cover all my needs which have changed.

Only my opinion – a new S900 will be here in a few days.
John C.

#177276 - 09/27/07 04:02 AM Re: Why I decided to buy Yamaha
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Congratulations!!!! John!!

P.S. I sent your Music Stand Priority Mail on MOnday you should get it very soon.

Thanks For everything!

#177277 - 09/27/07 04:11 AM Re: Why I decided to buy Yamaha
spotty Offline

Loc: Winnipeg
I've also always bought Yamaha. I bought a Yamaha flute, Yamaha piano, Yamaha recorders (soprano, alto and tenor), and finally a Yamaha YPG-220.
For me the quality is always consistantly good, and the availability and price entry points are great. Congrats on your purchase, I am envious!

#177278 - 09/27/07 04:35 AM Re: Why I decided to buy Yamaha
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Congratulations, John, on your new instrument.

I have the S900 and I am tickled with it's super sound, performance and bang for the buck.

Ian

#177279 - 09/27/07 06:03 AM Re: Why I decided to buy Yamaha
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good move John--I know you will not be dissapointed.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#177280 - 09/27/07 07:22 AM Re: Why I decided to buy Yamaha
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
John, how could you! Don't you know that the brand you bought is the worst keyboard you could buy. Geez, any idiot knows that my Brand X is far superior to anything you would have chosen. Your keyboard only has 61 keys, it's made of a petroleum-based material and the speakers are round, not octagonal as anyone worth their salt should know. AND, it's not the right length, color, weight. Get it right and buy something good.

Thank you for letting me put this useless post here. I was reading Two Nut's Tyros piano post and was afraid to say anything over there.

Now seriously, John. Congrats on your new board. I'm sure you will enjoy it for many a day.

#177281 - 09/27/07 08:13 AM Re: Why I decided to buy Yamaha
Happy Birthday CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
John,

I hear what your original post said. I agree with you. When my PSR-S900 arrives, there is some additional learning I will need to do, but I already know the OS because of owning a PSR3000, Tyros, and PSR2100 in the past. I look at it this way...I'm getting a reincarnated PSR3000 in my S900, allowing me to pick up where I left off and go deeper as time permits.
BTW - I just got the call that my S900 is in at the store. Now comes the waiting until my next payday

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#177282 - 09/27/07 08:20 AM Re: Why I decided to buy Yamaha
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi John,

The S900 , is by far the best value for the money.

It has a ton of features , just about everything !!

I too have been looking or a new A/KB ,and have looked closely at the S900.

The only thing that is holding me back , are those rubber buttons.
However , NO TWO S900`s will be the same , that is a certainty. I have had a chance now to try a couple and both were different , mainly , the buttons.
The last one I tried was almost "A-OK" , but then I think to the first one I tried where the buttons had almost no feel and some even stuck.

I hope you get a great one , please be sure to post how it is , as far as build quality.

I`m not sure if it is because of first run jitters or just poor quality control.

The key bed on both were the same , they are not bad , but not like your KN`s , that is certain.

But like I and many others have said "it truly is the best buy right now" you can`t beat it for sound , it is amazing !

Anyway , best of luck , and keep us informed !!
Gary

#177283 - 09/27/07 09:16 AM Re: Why I decided to buy Yamaha
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi John, as a former Technics player who switched to Yamaha, I can assure you that after a short initial OS adjustment from Technics to Yamaha's way of doing things, you're going to really like the S900. The first thing I noticed when going from the Technics KN5000 to PSR2000 was the dramatic change in key feel, with the S900's keys having a shorter key travel distance and a spongy like feel. The other difference I noticed between Technics and Yamaha is their sequencer section. The Technics standout sequencer feature I immediately missed with Yamaha is where Techncis allows you to much more easily piece together the framework of a song (intro, variation, fills, ending) via STEP RECORD: inserting, editing, and auditioning the section points, before then converting this into standard midi data. I wish Yamaha & the other keyboard manufacterers would have followed Technics lead with this. Other than for quick record, Yamaha's midi Sequencer section is not very useful, so I recommend instead, utilizing a PC midi sequencer software program like Yamaha XG Works, or Cakewalk Sonar for any post midi song editing desired.

Other than the above points made, I'm confident you're going to love the S900, and in additional to it's TERRIFIC sound and features (SA voices, USB audio recorder, lyrics display, etc), appreciate it's ultra lightweight compact form factor, allowing you to easily take it out for your gigs.

John, in addition to the many wonders of the S900 keyboard itself, you now have a huge Yamaha community of fellow user support with many many forums to join & participate in and with so many knowledge folks to help you, including lots of FREE 3rd party software specifically dedicated to making your experiences with the S900 so even more user friendly & enjoyable.

There are many excellent Yamaha forums out there, but my current top favorites (in this order) remain:

Yamaha Personal Keyboard Owner

PSR Tutorial

SVP World

John. Congratulations again & welcome to the world of Yamaha keyboards.

Scott

#177284 - 09/27/07 09:36 AM Re: Why I decided to buy Yamaha
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but I really like the "rubber buttons" and prefer them over the buttons on my old 3k and the ones on the Tyros2 I had on loan.

The rubbery surface is perfectly grippy allowing no slippage, and, although the buttons require a more positive push, it is a good thing since they are situated so close to the keys and accidental activation during a heated performance is lessened.

Haven't heard of any quality problems regarding the buttons here in Canada.

John...you're gonna love your S900...once again, congratulations.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online