SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#177176 - 12/31/04 09:22 AM Just purchasedTascam DP-01 $349.00
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
It's still going to be hard to record the sax on some tunes, but this unit should save most of the frustration I had with trying to hold my horn and work computer software. The auto punch-in, punch-out with the knobs for eq seems like it will be worth the cost.

On loud, middle of the horn blowing, it's easier to record the Tenor sax. However, if you try to imitate the old “Masters“, on a slow ballad playing the tenor in the lowest register all the way down to the bottom Bb in a soft moody tone, it's much harder to get the Mic to pick up the sound that is coming from the bottom of the horn (bell). If you blast it out, it will pick up the note, but it doesn’t sound very good on a soft moody ballad. The old “Masters” invented a term called sub-toning on the Tenor. I haven’t heard anyone do it on an Alto. The Tenor excels in sub-toning...

So I'll probably try it through my Mackie mixer or even try my little RMS mixer so as to be able to use maybe 2 or 3 Mics. One set way at the bottom of the horn where the low sounds come out of the bell. If the Mackie or the RMS doesn't work I'll probably need advice on a mixer for recording.

I wish someone here would be experienced in what I want to do or maybe knew someone who could help me through email. Most of the folks who knew about this particular recording problem are dead now.

I can growl and blow you out of your seat if I‘m doing Watermelon Man, Honky Tonk, Night Train, Ode To Billie Joe etc. etc. and I won’t have any problem with notes being heard with that style of playing. when I record. But, the slow soft stuff is frustrating. Help! Help! Help!
Thanks again

#177177 - 12/31/04 09:32 AM Re: Just purchasedTascam DP-01 $349.00
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
So where'd you get that for only $349? That include shipping, tax?

#177178 - 12/31/04 12:31 PM Re: Just purchasedTascam DP-01 $349.00
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Boo,
The mixer HAS to be a better preamp and mic input then the stock connection. I think you'll have better luck that way!

#177179 - 12/31/04 03:23 PM Re: Just purchasedTascam DP-01 $349.00
brickboo Offline

B&Hphotovideo. $372 with shipping. This is the DP-01 not the DP-01FX. I don't need all that distortion stuff. I don't play guitar, anyway if I did, I'd make sure that my guitar didn't have that distortation crap!NOISE is more descriptive!

Dave you'll probably be getting a few emails from me if this thing is more complicating than what the manual looks like.

A new employee at the local coffee shop is a blues harp player and has played with some pretty good blues band back East somewhere. I mentioned about recording and he said he did quite a bit of multi-track recording back East.

He knopws all the terminology that I just learned in the past year reading about digital recording. He knows about Tape Digital everything it seems. Maybe he will be able to help me over the hump.

#177180 - 01/01/05 03:44 PM Re: Just purchasedTascam DP-01 $349.00
brickboo Offline

The manual I downloaded says the DP-01 works with Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. It doesn't say anything about Windows 98SE.

On the Tascam forum one fellow says he has two computers. One with 2000 and one with XP and neither will recognize the DP-01 from the USB.

#177181 - 01/01/05 06:18 PM Re: Just purchasedTascam DP-01 $349.00
Dnj Offline

comon Boo I want to hear some great SAX recordings now that you have the ability to do so ......good luck with your new unit!

#177182 - 01/01/05 06:32 PM Re: Just purchasedTascam DP-01 $349.00
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have a couple of live recordings of Boo when he was here. Maybe now that the holidays are over, I'll have time to listen to them and post them somewhere.
By the way, he can REALLY play that sax.
DonM

#177183 - 01/01/05 07:07 PM Re: Just purchasedTascam DP-01 $349.00
brickboo Offline

Don speaks well of me because he likes Drew and Penny.

#177184 - 01/01/05 09:08 PM Re: Just purchasedTascam DP-01 $349.00
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"I don't need all that distortion stuff. I don't play guitar, anyway if I did, I'd make sure that my guitar didn't have that distortation crap!NOISE is more descriptive!"

You also dint need XLR inputs, or phantom power, the host of other effects the other unit offered ":P

To call distortion noise is kinda silly ( but understandable from someone that doesn't play guitar ), just I find it odd.... distortion fuzz and whatever originally was used for guitar players that would take the role of a sax player in a band.

So your blanket statement is sorta self hate...as the "noise" you call it, shares many tonalities with your instrument of choice.

Beyond all that you sound like one of those dolts that was smashing rock records in the 50s, only your doing 55 years later...so its more like a joke.

#177185 - 01/02/05 05:13 PM Re: Just purchasedTascam DP-01 $349.00
brickboo Offline

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online