SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#176976 - 09/05/01 04:48 PM Arranger Keyboard WEIGHT issue !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
There's been some debate here about keyboard weight and size. What's too heavy, too large, etc. . . What is acceptable, etc.

I had seriously considered purchasing the Yamaha 9000pro or PSR9000 because it has MANY impressive sounds and styles. Even so, its' weight/size has kept me from purchasing it for gigging purposes.

Stevizard stated (in an earlier post) "If a full grown man can't lift 40 lbs, then it's time to start working out in the gym". The 9000pro is 45 lbs/20.5kg and the PSR9000 is 50 lbs/22.5 kg. I can certainly lift things 40- 50 pounds, but the 9000's uneven weight distribution (center of gravity) and awkward size & dimensions, makes it MUCH more difficult to lift and manuveur than other objects of similar weight. I certainly wouldn't want to have to lift the Yamaha PSR9000 or 9000pro from the floor up onto a stand. This could be VERY hard on the back, even if you ARE in good physical condition.

Another IMPORTANT thing that we keyboard players need to consider (no matter how strong we may be physically), is protecting our most valuable keyboardist asset: our fingers and hands. I stopped hauling around those heavy 'weighted action' keyboards because I'm no longer willing to take the risk of possibly spraining my hands or fingers. I remember to well having to cancel gigs in the past due to tendonitis (sprained hands/fingers). I think its' important to keep our macho pride in check and THINK about these issues. - Scott

#176977 - 09/05/01 05:06 PM Re: Arranger Keyboard WEIGHT issue !
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I believe that the weight of the keyboard is an important issue. Unfortunately for me, my sk880 is very heavy.

So I decided to buy a 61-key keyboard in addition to the sk one.

But in general, a keyboard that is portable in terms of weight is greatly desired. Especially if you are the one who travels and performs.

In the future, it will be great idea to create the "LAPTOP" of the keyboards. A very small light keyboard that consists of 61 keys. Has all the features that is needed for performing musician but is packaged in such a way that can be treated as a carryon laguage when traveling by airplane! That would be very nice and I would not mind buying another 61 keyboard like this in addition to my next 61 one!

#176978 - 09/05/01 05:52 PM Re: Arranger Keyboard WEIGHT issue !
Scottyee Offline

Sk880user: Yes, I think moving everything (sounds, styles, sequencer, etc) currently inside the arranger keyboard (except the black/white keys, mod wheels, & essential arranger function buttons) to a laptop is the way to go. Without the internal software/hardware components, the keyboard itself (basically just a keyboard controller now) could be kept VERY light: under 10 lbs. On top of this, the GREATLY increased software power (via a lightweight 5-7 lb laptop with a high capacity fast hard drive) would mean better quality sounds, styles, and greatly improved sequencer note resoultion and features.

The technology to do this is HERE TODAY, but are keyboard manufacterers willing to risk losing their currently big ticket hardware arranger keyboard sales? Going the software route (via laptop), we would be able to get essentially a new keyboard via software upgrade alone. Software synths (Native Instruments "B4" and Emagic's "EVP88 Piano"), arranger type programs (Band In A box, Jammer Pro, and high end midi/audio sequencers & sound editors (Cakewalk Sonar, Cubase, and Logic Audio) are already here, so integrating these technologies into a SINGLE software program (to include all arranger keyboard type functions) seems like a next logical step. I'm waiting !

#176979 - 09/05/01 07:04 PM Re: Arranger Keyboard WEIGHT issue !
Dnj Offline

besides a much lighter rig maybe (25lbs total)I would like to see a big screen on the KB (like the one on the kn6500)that could be split with 1/2 smf or/MS word file lyrics/chords, 1/2 on the fly parimeters/sounds/ etc, or any combination there of,

#176980 - 09/05/01 07:56 PM Re: Arranger Keyboard WEIGHT issue !
Scottyee Offline

Donny: your big screen needs is EXACTLY my point in promoting the much MORE powerful laptop software approach ! In regards to Dave's concerns about the laptop being to easily knocked over - there could be a way to insure a solid & secure placement right on top of the keyboard controller (clamping fashion or other). This clamping feature might even be included as part of the keyboard controller itself. This way the laptop would kind of be integrated with the KB. As far as people looking over your shoulder to see what's on the screen - I make it a rule that everyone in the audience is ALWAYS kept situated in FRONT of me, and never allowed behind me . . . PERIOD. This way I can always STAY focused on the audience and NOT on the screen. If 'you' DON'T focus on the screen, the audience won't either.

#176981 - 09/05/01 08:02 PM Re: Arranger Keyboard WEIGHT issue !
Dnj Offline

I hear ya Scott,

What makes my audience nuts is when from a side angle on the dance floor the see the geometrical laptop "SCREENSAVER" changing shapes and color its very Hypnotizing :>)

#311567 - 01/08/11 08:53 PM Re: Arranger Keyboard WEIGHT issue ! [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

This was my first post on SZ 19451 posts ago.. !!! YIKES!!!! shocked

Edited by Dnj (01/08/11 08:54 PM)

#311616 - 01/09/11 10:33 AM Re: Arranger Keyboard WEIGHT issue ! [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Technology and new space-age materials will make arranger keyboards considerably lighter in the ensuing years--it's inevitable. One day in the not too distant future, you'll see arranger keyboards with massive onboard memories, huge displays that can be seen in direct sunlight, and weigh under 20 pounds. The physical weight of an arranger keyboard has never equated to quality--NEVER!

As for hefting 40 or more pounds, a decade ago it wasn't a problem. Now, at age 70, that 40 to 50 pounds seems a lot heavier. And, as Scott stated above, the bulk is something to consider as well. When you are lifting a bulky item it's fairly easy to become a bit off balance and damage your hands, back, neck, etc.. because you would not dare drop that expensive piece of gear. I can vividly remember hefting 105-pound Peavey speakers from the back of my van and carefully lowering them onto a refrigerator dolly, then push them up a ramp and lift them up on a stage. Thanks to modern technology, those days are gone forever. And, as stated above, technology will soon make those 50-pound arrangers, dinosaurs. wink

Happy New Year from an old guy that is still kicking around--just not as high as I used to. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online