SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#176603 - 06/05/06 05:21 PM review of factory demos
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Since I 've listened to the E-80 demo[I found it very good]..I have going back and listened to all the factory and paid endorser demos uploaded by Korg, Ketron and Yamaha..

Trying to be open minded..I honestly think the E80 is by far the best "demo" of the big guys..The quality of the voices, balanced presentations between lead and accompaniment..Organs, guitar mode and piano are presented better[sound more realistic and clear]..

I also like the 2 min G70 demo on par with the Yamaha , Korg, Ketron stuff...but the E-80 demo is better than all including the G70..

I don't believe we could go wrong with any of these boards...

I am looking forward..playing the version2 G70 and definitely the E-80..

I think in the long run, I would have to go with the prov-en key bed of the "G"...but I hope Roland may have used the weighted[metal] keys from the older D-70, JV1000 and XP80 days..What could the actual added cost be....$50 tops..

I am definitely impressed with some of the sounds on the Tyros2...but not all the sounds[especially sequence playback patches], measure up to my standards..

From what I have heard SZ members using the harmonizer...it seems to do a pretty good job..

I just listened to some SD-5 demos..they are good but didn't light my fire...Same impression I get from Korg and Yamaha, after re visiting the demos..

I have to say the latest Roland factory demos, continue my endorsement of the "G", "E" arrangers..

Maybe I can get AJ to get all these models together again [include the E-80].

Who knows maybe after spending time with all of them I will want all of them......or none of them..

Thankfully I like what I already have..

#176604 - 06/05/06 07:46 PM Re: review of factory demos
Dnj Offline

Fran......good observations.......
Many arranger KB's are really making progress as time goes on...in different ways for different peoples needs to create all kinds of music. It's nice that there are so many choices or this would be a very boring world.....BTW IMO demos are just a camouflage to the real soul of an instrument when YOU Really play it!

#176605 - 06/06/06 10:43 AM Re: review of factory demos
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Fran wait until you get to play the E80. Having heard it I came to the same conclusion as Abacus. It didn't create much of a buzz.
The demos may sound OK but I still think the E80 is basically a G70 with 61 notes and a few better sounds/styles thrown in so Roland can cash in again. I hope I'm proven wrong when I get my demo DVD and get to play this in person.

#176606 - 06/06/06 01:22 PM Re: review of factory demos
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
As far demos goes, there are 2 things manufacturers do in their "demos", some, like Roland, use midi files arranged in a very nice way, but unrealistic for those who play in real time, it happen to me with the VA7, I did believe the demos, and I was very desappointed, and dump it after 3 months, is the shortest time I ever had and instrument. So I am just say, be very careful until you put your hands on it. I think that Ketron has the most "Honest" STYLE demos, ANYBODY, out of the box can replicate this, and not in some of the other makers. Remember that I own now a Tyros2, and a Korg PA60 soon to be replaced for the SD5, I had X1HD and 2 SD1s and I really liked them, excep the polifony issue since for my style of playing, 64 notes is not in off, so, I have to see now with the 128 notes and new functions, I am looking forward to make a nice PAIR of keyboards with my T2.

#176607 - 06/06/06 11:27 PM Re: review of factory demos
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
My 1994 Casio manual states clearly that what you can hear in the factory built-in demos (3 of them) CANNOT be exactly reproduced by the user, no matter if he plays the instrument himself or uses a midifile!!!!!!!!!

The above never did me any harm, but makes me wonder in what extremities the manufacturers can go, to cover deficiencies in their instruments or attract customers.

#176608 - 06/07/06 03:33 AM Re: review of factory demos
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
The Demos on the Yamaha site for the Tyros 2 are the same demos that are embedded on the Tyros 2 when you push the Demo button. I think those demos sound damn good. Which means they are playing back Tyros Optimized Midi files, which In my opinion still sound bettern than those of the the E-80.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#176609 - 06/07/06 08:02 PM Re: review of factory demos
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
bit off topic
I remember going to see the release of the KN5000. They brought some hot shot in from overseas to demo it. Public was kind of taken in. The guy was obviously playing along to a midifile as none of the onboard styles matched what he was playing. Ok , so it was the kn voices, but it was a sequenced midi file not one of the styles. I tend to think most arranger keyboard owners buy them to play styles, not to record sequences from scratch.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 06-07-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online