SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#176324 - 03/30/03 05:24 PM powered mixer
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Has anyone here left their powered mixer on over night? If so, does it get very hot somewhere on the back of the unit?

And should I hear the fan a little bit like my computer fan?

This fan when I get close seems to have a very slight rattle. Do you think this is cause for alarm?

This is the Behringer PMX2000 I'm talking about.

As you can see I'm a bit worried.
Thanks again,
Boo

#176325 - 03/30/03 07:40 PM Re: powered mixer
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo, The fan should be fairly quiet, no rattles, and the mixer should not get hot--slight warm, but never hot. If it's getting hot, there's a good chance that the cooling fan is fried. The bearings on the fan motor are easily burned out, especially if you're playing in a relatively humid climate and smoke filled bars. The fans are not expensive and they're easily replaced. However, if you're one of those folks that needs help screwing in a light bulb, I suggest taking the amp/mixer to a service center. The fans are available in many compter stores and electronic shops for under $20.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#176326 - 03/31/03 04:53 AM Re: powered mixer
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
This is the Behringer PMX2000 I'm talking about.

Boo....how do you like the PMX2000 so far?

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#176327 - 03/31/03 05:31 AM Re: powered mixer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I made some inquires about the PMX2000, and was told that Behringer recalled them when they were first introduced. I can't substantiate this .... it was just a rumer, but from a mostly-reliable source. I suggest caution when testing this product .... it's awfly cheap for what it has. Maybe it's a mirage.

#176328 - 03/31/03 04:16 PM Re: powered mixer
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
The PMX2000 has speakon connectors on the back. So, I'm unable to use my (2) 15" Peaveys with the 1/4" jacks.

I'm at present using the monitor-out on the PMX2000 to my Rogue 10" PA. It sounds pretty good thru it.

I have Speakon adapters ordered. They may be here tomorrow Tuesday. A couple of local stores didn't have them.

I think it will sound as good as the Mackie 406M and the Yamaha EMX-860-ST I tried last week. The EMX-860-ST had the worst effects of the three.

The PMX2000 amp for the Harmonizer to sound balanced, has to have the Mid turned up a bit. Otherwise it's unbalanced (to low) and of course to loud if I turn the mid up too much. The Mackie also responded as the Behringer. The Mackie was the hardest to set. It seems I never could get it set like I was use to hearing form other sources I've used since I started all of this way bck in 2001. Ha1! Ha! The EMX-860-ST seemed more balance when using the harmonizer.

The PMX price is great at $299. However, the local music store guy said he heard that there were some complaints about Behringer with warranties. They are not set up with many warranty shops. I'd have to send this unit clear across the country from where I live for warranty work.

The Yamaha warranty work is done right here at the local shop. The Yahama EMX-88S has better effects like the Yahama EMX5000 which Yamaha claims is much better than the EMX-860-ST. I think I'm going to get the best deal on the EMX-88S I can find and then see what the local dealer will do.

If I have a problem he'd let me have a loner until he got my amp fixed. He lets me take anything home and try it for several days without even signing any papers. I'd better deal with him. Especially since UD says he's heard some rumors also about Behringer.

Dave thanks for being on the ball with all of your input. And again thanks to all of the guys here.

Boo

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online