SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#176015 - 01/23/05 10:44 PM OASIS, Tyros II, G70 etc.: it is not about sounds anymore
ailev Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
I think that contemporary hardware keyboards are not about sounds. It is software VSTi that deal with sound advancing of today.

Hardware keyboards (not computers) today is needed for convenient integration of fixed sounds sets and "performance time" (compare with "studio time") sequensing and sound manipulation features. That is arrangers and Karma functions, pads and arpeggiators. This give us the difference between new keyboards, not their's sounds. All the sounds today already similar: it is replicas of different hardware celebrity of the past. If not Stradiwary violin in one keyboard we have Guarnery one sampled. This is up to taste of players but not that difference that can convince us to buy $3000+ beasts.

Contemporary music hardware market since 2005 already not about sounds but about sequencing.

OASIS ($8000+) is about KARMA II, not about several hardware sinth in one board. Even 600+Mb of it samples not give leadership to it in comparing with Kontakt II ($500+) or G70 ($3000+). Sounds of G70 is comparable with Tyros's or PA1X or even Alesis/OASIS etc.

Realtime (performance time, not studio time) sequencing with this fixed in new keyboards give us competitive differencies.

KARMA II added to OASIS.
Phrase Factory to Motif.
4 variation 6 fill-ins to G70.
Pads to PA1X software 2.0.
And all this with tonns of presets (this presets are possible due to a fixed sound sets and known effect sets).

Negative reviews of G70 was not about it's sounds. 190+Mb of sounds is sufficient to have not questions about (and this can be added with Roland sound extension cards). All the questions was about sequencing presets (styles, pads that are absent) and effect integration.

It is KARMA II will give inspiration to OASIS users, not bare sounds. Good sounds now you can elicit from you computer or *any* hardware music gear -- whether it sinth or arranger. Motif and Tyros, G70 and Fantom share sounds. There no difference in sounds between arrangers and "serious instruments" anymore. Competition in hardware gears gone to
a) in music part -- performance time sequencing and
b) in usability part -- overall (sounds+sequencing+mastering+recording) integration and presets quality.

#176016 - 01/24/05 12:07 AM Re: OASIS, Tyros II, G70 etc.: it is not about sounds anymore
RicFreak Offline

Loc: Italy
ailev, I agree with your analysis.

So, is it me only, or are you too missing a simple live keyboard, with many quality sounds and nothing more?
Roland VR-760 (aka V-Combo) seems the only one available...

#176017 - 01/24/05 12:41 AM Re: OASIS, Tyros II, G70 etc.: it is not about sounds anymore
to the genesys Offline

It seems as if keyboard manufacturers have reached the point in sounds where they are prepared to give the user excellent sounds but very basic sound settings. They probably and finally believe each user have their individual wants and needs when it comes to sounds and want to give each user the ability and freedom to modify the sounds to their liking or load third party sounds that they like.

I wish the same would be for styles.
Just give me the tools the make and use the keyboard the way I want to.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 01-24-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online