SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#175956 - 08/22/07 08:59 AM WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

I keep hearing in discussions that although many people love Yamaha arrangers for what they are ....but there's always the ending tag line....
"I'd buy one IF IT HAD 76 KEYS!!!"
Why is it since the 9kpro there hasn't been another 76 key but they will make 76 key workstations? They should make 3 models for their TOTL arrangers 61/76/88 weighted piano.

#175957 - 08/22/07 09:05 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I think Yamaha might be more qualified to answer this question.

#175958 - 08/22/07 09:11 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

No Taike ....I think the REAL players should voice their opinions on WHY? so that Yamaha will take notice & get their heads out of the asses and bring one to market....after all there is a very serious need for them.

#175959 - 08/22/07 10:56 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi DNJ
I doubt if they will ever say it publicly, but quietly they will tell you that the last 76 note arranger they made, was the biggest sales disaster in there entire arranger history, (A lot of marketing staff got their backsides (Butts) kicked) and so it is unlikely they will make the same error again. (Particularly as their research into their target market (Home Uses) shows minimal demand)
Although not confirmed, there are indications that other well known arranger manufactures are also considering dropping 76 notes.
Fingers crossed that the last paragraph is only rumour.

Bill

#175960 - 08/22/07 12:58 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yamaha's mistake was that, instead of simply coming out with a 76 note version of an already popular model, they decided to re-write the book, thus multiplying their chances at making a major mistake. All anybody really wants is an S900 with a 76 action... How complicated could that be, or how badly burned can they get doing just that?

And workstation 76-ers are generally only a few hundred dollars more than than their 61 cousins. And the less well built (like Korg TR series) they are, the difference is even less. I am SURE that all the 76-T2 or S900-76 requesters would be willing to pay the same difference...

Another big mistake with the 9000Pro was that there was no down-market 76 to accompany it. So everyone that HAD to have a 76 Yamaha HAD to get this one. It was VERY expensive, had many flaws, and burnt everyone involved. And no-one likes getting burned from the TOTL...

But if a mid-line or bottom-line arranger came out with few extra frills, based on an already successful model, I am sure Yamaha would not get burned so badly...

The main thing would be to just bring out an established, mature arranger (like the S900) with NOTHING extra but the keyboard. The only cost to Yamaha would be tooling up for the case (innards and buttons exactly the same as S900). Peanuts, compared to developing a NEW arranger.

Somebody at Yamaha needs to grow a pair...

#175961 - 08/22/07 02:37 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
My solution; an old one but with some refinements. Module versions of all the TOTL arrangers and a VERY SPECIAL 76 key controller (developed by a totally new and separate company) with adjustable keyfeel, sliders, buttons, knobs, dials, and touch screens AND factory-developed templates for every popular model (plus user programming abailable for the KETRON ). This way we all look equally cool (or uncool) on stage.

This "special controller keyboard" should cost about 1200.00 and each TOTL module should stay below a grand (that's a Sonic Cell with a $300 allowance for programming the styles ). Of course, since it's a practical solution, it'll never happen.

Oh well, waiting for that Nord C1 to start shipping. My gig's a' waiting.

chas

#175962 - 08/22/07 03:00 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Diki Offline

Post a review when you get that C1, chas. No Nord dealers near me...

And, 'adjustable key feel'? Nothing, AFAIK, has ever got THAT one right, yet alone in an affordable package.

Arrangers are very button driven, and so far, most controller keyboards tend to focus on knobs and sliders. The only way this will stay affordable is to have the buttons on the module itself, and that sit on the controller close to the left hand, I think...

Korg's new M3 might be pointing the way... Same module, different attached keyboards (or module alone). This what you envision, chas?

#175963 - 08/22/07 03:20 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Post a review when you get that C1, chas. No Nord dealers near me...?

...or me. This is strictly a "blind-faith" purchase. There are some pretty good reviews over on the Nord site.

Quote:
Korg's new M3 might be pointing the way... Same module, different attached keyboards (or module alone). This what you envision, chas?

Haven't had much time to look at the M3. Been rehearsing with my new bandmates (using the triton as my make-believe, single manual B3). I'll do that.

chas

#175964 - 08/22/07 03:31 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Diki Offline

If you are looking for a killer acoustic piano for your Triton, this one might be worth looking at (it's a simple and cheap job to add 64MB RAM and a SCSI port and ZIP...)
http://www.ksounds.com/html/piano_21.html

Very warm and detailed, MUCH better than the Korg Piano board...

#175965 - 08/22/07 03:33 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
After the extremely poor sales for the PSR 9000 Pro, I'm sure Yamaha will be slow to go down that failed road ever again.

The 9000 Pro was a great concept that was very poorly executed (an understatement). It was essentially a PSR 9000, MU100R, and a castrated A3000 sampler all thrown into a very well built heavy case with a great semi weighted keyboard but with horrible integration of the sound sources. The PLG sound slots were never well implemented and no matter how much Yamaha said they were going to better incorporate them, that never happened. In addition the 9000 Pro was plagued by a very slow internal processor that when overtaxed, would cause MIDI, timing, sequencer sync, and polyphony issues. Not since the early days of EMU, Kurzweil, and Ensoniq have I ever seen such a basket case for such an expensive keyboard/arranger/workstation.

I was probably one of the few people who had purchased a 9000 Pro and it was a major disappointment to me. The key feel, build quality, and many of the sounds were great, but the software and internal processor were so plagued with problems Yamaha eventually dropped all support for the 9000 Pro and discontinued it. Had Yamaha used a faster CPU, had better PLG integration, not castrated the sampler section, and done software improvements, the 9000 Pro could have done quite well.

I was also soured by Yamaha's customer support, or lack thereof, for the 9000 Pro and will likely never buy another Yamaha product because of their lack of support and lack of integrity. Mark Anderson himself personally told me Yamaha was working on fixes for the 9000 Pro and that never happened. It didn't show much integrity on Mr. Anderson's part or Yamaha's part when they discontinued all support for the 9000 Pro. They threw the baby out with the bath water!

#175966 - 08/22/07 05:43 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Somebody at Yamaha needs to grow a pair...

YES SIR!!

#175967 - 08/22/07 05:52 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[b]Somebody at Yamaha needs to grow a pair...

YES SIR!!

Amazing they make the DGX and YGP series in 76 and 88 key models, sell for well under $1000 but can't make the S900 or T2 in 76 keys.

That's baffling.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-22-2007).]

#175968 - 08/22/07 06:21 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Grow the mothers already!

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#175969 - 08/22/07 06:28 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
[b] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[b]Somebody at Yamaha needs to grow a pair...

YES SIR!!

Amazing they make the DGX and YGP series in 76 and 88 key models, sell for well under $1000 but can't make the S900 or T2 in 76 keys.

That's baffling.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-22-2007).][/B]

There's gotta be more to this 76 key mystery then meets the eye

#175970 - 08/22/07 06:51 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have my doubts there will be a 76 note mid/TOTL arranger in Yamaha's future...but ya never know.

It's sad to see so many potential Yamaha buyers, who would definitely enjoy the delights of the fantastic SA and mega voices, miss out on them because of the lack of a 76 note keyboard.

It's a shame to see players forced into buying arrangers from other manufactures that don't offer these great features.

Hopefully Yamaha will "grow 'em and show 'em" in the near future so this horrible situation can be rectified.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#175971 - 08/22/07 07:04 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
It's sad to see so many potential Yamaha buyers, who would definitely enjoy the delights of the fantastic SA and mega voices, miss out on them because of the lack of a 76 note keyboard.

It's a shame to see players forced into buying arrangers from other manufactures that don't offer these great features.

I hope your right Ian......there was NO need to make three S series units that are so close to their predecessors....instead they should of concentrated on what the public wants ... 76 quality keys & a few other things !!!!

#175972 - 08/22/07 07:14 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

Donny,

I know there were some who were disappointed the S900 didn't have a 76 note keyboard as rumors before its release seemed to indicate it would.

Remarkably, it is selling extremely well with 61 keys.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#175973 - 08/22/07 07:34 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
I am sitting here loving/hating my new E60. I would probably be sitting here instead loving/hating an s900/s700 if it had 76 keys. because even though the E60 has other advantages (better keyfeel, better button layout, a dedicated balance knob, the killer scat vocal sound and a few others)it has more disadvantages (too many to go into here). another Yamaha conundrum: in their ypg and dgx 76-key series, they omit the "live!" grand piano sound that they offer on the 88's. the piano sound in the 76 is for the birds. so if they drop the 76's, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. By omitting a decent piano sound, they have created the "no-market" 76. And I can't understand why they have created the s700 whose only appeal vs s900 is price.. why didn't they make the s700 a 76-key at a higher price? I'll bet that would have sold a ton more s700's without hurting s900 sales!

------------------
Miami Mo

#175974 - 08/22/07 08:07 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I certainly can appreciate the desire for 76 (or better yet 88) keys when playing solo piano , but 61 notes suits me quite fine for strictly arranger mode playing. Auto accompaniment mode style playing is a totally different style of playing than solo piano. With split point set at F#2, I have 1-1/2 octaves for triggering & voicing full chords with smooth voice leading, in LH, yet still have 3-1/2 octaves for RH melody playing & soloing, of which is only a mere 1/2 octave less than I've got on my Steinway Grand Piano from middle C to the top of the keyboard (high C). For the occasional solo piano style playing songs I do in a night, I'm able to live with 61 keys for the convenience of the smaller form factor & lighter weight keyboard (sorry to have to bring up that sore topic again ) 61 keys offers. If and when I want to dedicate an evening of solo piano performance, I've got the flexibility to bring along my Roland A33 76 controller and midi it to my Tyros2 KB. Considering I don't recall any "solo keyboard" (non arranger mode) performed songs shared on this forum, wondering just how much arranger players would actually benefit having 76 keys.

As some of you know, I was hired by Yamaha thru an independent consulting firm to give my input on future Yamaha arrangers, and this question was posed to me. I told them that if Yamaha could design a portable arr keyboard with 76 keys not exceeding the case size of Tyros2, I would be all for it, but I that I'd not be willing to compromise a significant increase in size and weight to gain that. Afterall, Yamaha tried 76 keys on the 50 lb 76 note 9000pro arranger, and it flopped here in the US, so I'm sure they still have cold feet doing that again soon.

I was told that Yamaha's extensive consumer market research confirmed the same, and the reason the Tyros2 & S900 PSR (aka: Portable) keyboards remain at 61 keys.

That all said, how often (percentage of playing) do people here actually play their arrangers as a full fledged piano utilizing all 76 keys? Those with 76 arranger, would love to hear your solo piano songs.

Scott

#175975 - 08/22/07 08:24 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Donny,

I know there were some who were disappointed the S900 didn't have a 76 note keyboard as rumors before its release seemed to indicate it would.

Ian

Its selling because of the SA etc.. for the I wish I had a T2 but this will do for now crowd.....but dont be fooled....there are many that would buy or switch to Yamaha in minute IF THEY ONLY HAD 76/88 quality KEYS......its that Important! There was a board meeting....there was a discussion, and for what ever wacky reason after that meeting a decision was reached to NOT MAKE A 76 or 88 quality KEY arranger, & probably by some idiot who doesnt even play an arrranger KB......finding out that reason is the key to this problem.

#175976 - 08/22/07 08:26 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
As some of you know, I was hired by Yamaha thru an independent consulting firm to give my input on future Yamaha arrangers, and this question was posed to me. I told them that if Yamaha could design a portable arr keyboard with 76 keys not exceeding the case size of Tyros2, I would be all for it, but I that I'd not be willing to compromise a significant increase in size and weight to gain that. Afterall, Yamaha tried 76 keys on the 50 lb 76 note 9000pro arranger, and it flopped here in the US, so I'm sure they still have cold feet doing that again soon.

I was told that Yamaha's extensive consumer market research confirmed the same, and the reason the Tyros2 & S900 PSR (aka: Portable) keyboards remain at 61 keys.

That all said, how often (percentage of playing) do people here actually play their arrangers as a full fledged piano utilizing all 76 keys? Those with 76 arranger, would love to hear your solo piano songs.

Scott

Scott better duck if your asking for demos

#175977 - 08/22/07 08:32 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Scottyee Offline

Quote:

Not remarkable at all to me, as it goes to show that Yamaha's extensive arranger buying public marketing research, of which I was an active participant (see my above posting reply) paid off for them. Scott

#175978 - 08/22/07 09:30 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
keysvocalssax Offline

it's very simple, we are right and Yamaha is wrong.

just because they are bigger and richer and cleverer than us doesn't make them NOT be totally a....holes re the 76 issue.

Sony had the superior Betamax and stupidly wouldn't
license it so they lost all the business to the crummy VHS...

RCA came out with a Videodisk system before VCR's..they
wouldn't put a no-profit price on the player to get it
in everyone's home, which would have made them an
unstoppable market for the sale of their disks..they
overpriced it so people chose the vcr they could tape
from . (irony was hardly anyone actually taped) RCA got
slaughtered financially from this stupidity.

Scott, it is foolish to ask why we think we need the 76..
the fact is we want it, we like it, and we don't think we
need to send you samples to justify why. the E60 is my
first 76..I played 61-key boards all of my 7 years of
becoming a keyboard player to augment my sax and vocals. it has been perfectly OK, not a big problem at all
to play the 61...as you point out. but the 76 is just better.
better in a lot of ways you are not considering. we believe
there are a lot of us out there who would buy a 76 if
Yamaha went about it the right way.

the E60 is under 30 lbs.!! The ypg/dgx 88's are much lighter yet. A yamaha 76-key s700 could still be under 30 lbs. A 76 doesn't have to be a behemoth. ketron makes heavy boards..but their 61-key sd5 is a pound heavier than their 76-key sd1. Sure, if it's between a g70 and a T2 that's 45 lb v 32 lbs..a lot to consider for many who
don't want do deal with heavies..but 30 lbs vs 25 lbs?
that's a difference between 2 relative lightweights..a
far different thing.

------------------
Miami Mo

#175979 - 08/22/07 09:47 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Diki Offline

Scott...

If you use your arranger SOLELY for true arranger mode playing, then I would agree that 61 is (just barely) usable.

But the minute you use them for SMFs, or strictly live playing, where the possibility of needing to play a full two handed piano part, or a usable range for TWO sounds with a split is needed, 76 is a real, legitimate need.

And if these possibilities AREN'T what Yamaha expect you to use your arranger for, why are they including sequencers and MP3 playback? I'm afraid that your argument (and, unfortunately, your ill-advised recommendation to Yamaha) aren't backed up by the facts. From reading the posts here at SZ, it is obvious that the majority of players here use SMFs or MP3's, at least SOME of the time (you do, yourself, don't you, Scott?).

So WHY make that recommendation to Yamaha, knowing that most players use arrangers for MORE than just simple arranger play? And market research? Don't make me laugh... WE are one of the biggest Yamaha arranger focus groups available. PLENTY of people screaming for a 76 note Yamaha here...

Market research is the art of deciding where and who to ask questions to get precisely the answer you wanted to hear in the first place...

As I said, Yamaha's problem with 76-ers came about because they didn't take an already established, well liked arranger, and simply graft a 76 key-bed to it. They HAD to reinvent wheel while they were at it The 9kPro wasn't a disaster because it was 76 notes. It was a disaster for all the OTHER reasons. It would have been a disaster with 61 notes. Good job they didn't make one, or they might have stopped making 61 note arrangers, too!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-22-2007).]

#175980 - 08/22/07 09:54 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
keysvocalssax Offline

Scott,

the people on this thread have a better idea of why the 9000pro was flop than you or Yamaha, evidently. just go
back and read what they have to say..IT WAS NOT BECAUSE
IT WAS 76 KEYS!!!!!! that's like saying the Edsel was a flop
because it was the first car Ford named for a relative..
best never to do that again!!!!! right!

i just reordered an improved E60 I was unhappy with first time around, not all that thrilled with this time, and the
pa800 and s900/700 were really good choices. I didn't
do this impulsively or out of ignorance, I've been researching for months. why? 76 keys!!, and I don't NEED
76 keys. i just WANT 76 KEYS DAMMIT!!!

and I'm not alone, so better watch your back, Scotty,
one of us may be coming after you soon, with evil intent..
so if you value your health, take heed....better tell your
clients at Yamaha to get with the 76 program...we are
absolute fanatics..lunatics..yes...beware.....remember
what happened here in 17..76? REVOLUTION!!!!spirit of 76.. 76 trombones!!! don't fight the power!

------------------
Miami Mo

#175981 - 08/22/07 11:03 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Roland make a 76 note arranger,Korg make a 76 note arranger, Ketron make a 76 note arranger, they all sell lots and lots of units....guess yamaha must be right then??!!

#175982 - 08/23/07 01:32 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
abacus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Roland make a 76 note arranger,Korg make a 76 note arranger, Ketron make a 76 note arranger, they all sell lots and lots of units....guess yamaha must be right then??!!

Just because they make 76 note arrangers, doesnt mean they sell lots of them.
As an example, when Roland launched the E80 it began outselling the G70, and these days its sales are even farther ahead. (Just ask any dealer)

Bill

#175983 - 08/23/07 04:22 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
to the genesys Offline

The lack of sales of a 76 key Yamaha 9000 pro or the out selling of a subsequent 61 key Roland arranger over its 76 predecessor, can not be blamed on the 76 key factor.
There are lots of other factors that make the difference (like sounds, OS, ease of use, styles and so on).

Also, to suggest that the only reason for a 76 key keyboard is for full piano mode clearly demonstrates a lack of understanding of the value and use of 76 keys.

A person would want a 76 key arranger for the same reasons that a person would want a 76 key workstation.
In addition to those reasons, specific to an arranger, a person would want a 76 key arranger so that
1. they could have more left hand room to trigger full 3 and 4 note chords. You may be able to barely get by with 61 keys but why should we the players always have to make major sacrifices and adjustments because the manufacturers (who probably dont play as much as we do are trying to cut corners).
2. When playing in style mode, you have more room to have more than one sound in the right hand. You can have a split in the right hand. So if you want to have brass licks in between a melody (if you are doing instrumental playing) you can do that with out having to change sounds while you are playing.
3. Having a 76 give you more flexibility on a gig to be spontaneous. You dont have to pre plan to take a 76 key controller keyboard if you want to play using 76 keys. Again why should we have to pay so much for an arranger and still have to make all these major adjustments and sacrifices?

Maybe if Yamaha do some real market research and stop looking for a reason to justify their already made decision to not make 76 key arrangers, they would see the value and the money in a 76 key arranger.

Seriously, how much more cost and size would have had to be added to a 76 key PSR 900?

And how many persons, if the PSR 900 were 5LBs more and $100 more and had 76 keys would not buy it?

Can persons say that they dont want 76 keys because it annoys them or that they have a natural dislike for 76 keys?

#175984 - 08/23/07 04:55 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

If going by the number of people on the this forum who keep crying for a 76 note keyboard...not a whole lot...just the same few over and over again...I'd say Yamaha made the right decision to remain at 61 keys.

Using SMF would make using 76 notes a less important factor IMO...unless you're playing a bass line, which seems to apply to very few members on this forum...and they seem to be quite happy with their Rolands and Korgs and other brands.

I think Scott has the right idea...a controller with 76 keys for those solo piano gigs....cool.

Yamaha's market research has shown(and I know)that the number of people who want a 76 note arranger is not enough to justify its production....that's a fact whether you like it or not.

Abacus is right...the E80 far outsells the G70...and not just because it is newer...it's because it has built in speakers and conforms more to the needs of the home user to which the MAJORITY of these instruments are marketed and sold.

I would say to these people who want Yamaha to make a 76 note Tyros/PSR...get over it...it ain't gonna happen...so...buy a Roland or Korg or another brand that suits your needs.

Face it...you aren't hurting Yamaha as much as you think.

Ian

------------------

#175985 - 08/23/07 05:28 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
If going by the number of people on the this forum who keep crying for a 76 note keyboard...not a whole lot...just the same few over and over again...I'd say Yamaha made the right decision to remain at 61 keys.

I think Scott has the right idea...a controller with 76 keys for those solo piano gigs....cool.

I would say to these people who want Yamaha to make a 76 note Tyros/PSR...get over it...it ain't gonna happen...so...buy a Roland or Korg or another brand that suits your needs.

Face it...you aren't hurting Yamaha as much as you think.

Ian

Ian, I have not doubt I didn't hurt Yamaha buying a G70. Wanna buy my Tyros?

I have tried the using an 88 note controller keyboard along the my Tyros2. Since the majority of my gigs are 1 hour nursing home or cocktail hours, it's a little bit more setup work than I care to do for 1 hour.

I like being able to spread out at the keyboard with 61 keys I feel cramped in, I can only speak for myself, but it feels good sitting at a keyboard with at least 76 keys.

If arranger keyboards are target marketed toward home users, why is it that the DGX and YGP (I'm assuming also targeted toward the home user) are 76 and 88 keys. Maybe I'm naive, but it just doesn't add up. Or are they targeting little Johnny and Judy who are going to start piano lessons and are told they really should have 88 keys to learn piano properly?

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-23-2007).]

#175986 - 08/23/07 05:39 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Ian, I have not doubt I didn't hurt Yamaha buying a G70. Wanna buy my Tyros?

I have tried the using an 88 note controller keyboard along the my Tyros2. Since the majority of my gigs are 1 hour nursing home or cocktail hours, it's a little bit more setup work than I care to do for 1 hour.

I think I'll pass on the Tyros, Stephen.

The S900 is perfect for MY needs.

I am considering buying the Yamaha NP-30(Squeaks new toy) for the times I may want to lay down a solo piano track with the S900 Song Creator...11.8 ilbs is pretty light and the action is very nice, especially considering the cost.

Taking two keyboards on a gig is a hassle...I've had no need of it myself as my gigs involve arranger play with styles only.

I played the G70...it is very nice, but not my cuppa tea...

Ian

------------------

#175987 - 08/23/07 05:58 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill, I am not convinced..Roland has sold more E80's than G70's...

Personally I know of seven people that own G70's...2 People that own E80's , and 2 that own E60's..

The E80's are marketed thru the Home Piano dealers, and may have a false impression of leading sales[if you are relying on dealers opinions]..

I am sure I would love the E80 if I owned one, but with a choice...I would pass on it for the G70..76 keys are that important..

#175988 - 08/23/07 08:02 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
abacus Offline

Hi Stephenm52
The YGP and DGX series are indeed aimed at home uses, however they are not aimed at keyboard players, but Piano beginners, (Hence the minimum of 76 notes) and which hopefully will spur the uses to upgrade in the future to something like the Clavinova series.

Bill

#175989 - 08/23/07 08:32 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I certainly can appreciate the desire for 76... I told them that if Yamaha could design a portable arr keyboard with 76 keys not exceeding the case size of Tyros2, I would be all for it, but I that I'd not be willing to compromise a significant increase in size and weight to gain that.

OK, let's think 73 - worked for Rhodes.

#175990 - 08/23/07 09:00 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

There should be 3 lightweight 61/76/88 quality key Arrangers to suit all needs until then its downhill from here.
$$$$ drives the mindset ....not OUR needs as depicted in the gear we have to settle with at present.....if you can find it outside of the Internet. The shift is in motion as we live players get phased out & replaced by so many alternatives.....its a slow defusing transformation that will take years...but eventually when we're all gone it wont matter or will it be even a thought.

#175991 - 08/23/07 09:21 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:

Scott, it is foolish to ask why we think we need the 76. the fact is we want it, we like it

Mo, though I'm able to live with 61, I too would have preferred Tyros2 to have 76 keys too, just as long as it doesn't compromise the PSR's reputation for lightweight & compact portability. And yes, Yamaha fully acknowledges that the PSR & even Tyros line are primarily targeted to home players. The fact that any pros (like myself & others here) utilize them for gigging is primarily icing on the cake for them. As Abacus stated, the Tyros2 & PSR series is not marketed to the traditional piano player in mind:

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Stephenm52
The YGP and DGX series are indeed aimed at home uses, however they are not aimed at keyboard players, but Piano beginners, (Hence the minimum of 76 notes) and which hopefully will spur the uses to upgrade in the future to something like the Clavinova series.

This all said, I need to stress that I made sure to point out to Yamaha that according to my calculation, 76 notes could conceivably fit within the current compact sized dimensions of Tyros2, by simply relocating the mod wheels to above the keys (as Ketron did with the SD1), and eliminating the shelf area to the right of the keybed and simply moving the USB stick port to another place.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-23-2007).]

#175992 - 08/23/07 09:48 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Stephenm52

Bill

Now that makes sense. BTW when talking Clavinova I have a CVP 307 and if I could transport that to a gig easily............ah never mind just wishful thinking

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-23-2007).]

#175993 - 08/23/07 11:04 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Diki Offline

This is all insane...

If Yamaha ARE marketing to the 'home' user, why is keyboard size of any matter whatsoever? They don't move it around much and generally go for 88 keys if they DON'T buy an arranger.

If they are selling to pros, well, PLENTY of them want a 76.

Just who in heck IS Yamaha's 'target customer'? Someone who gigs multiple times a day, and needs a small, lightweight arranger to toss in the back of their minicar? I would be prepared to say that is Yamaha's SMALLEST group, there!

This stinks FAR more of internal division politics - "OK, DGX line gets more keys, PSR line gets better voices" rather than any serious attempt to actually give the customers what they want...

#175994 - 08/23/07 11:38 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

I would venture to say that there few people here who would have much insight into Yamaha's closely guarded internal politics...but, be that as it may, their methods obviously work for them

All other keyboard manufactures would love to have Yamaha's very substantial share of the arranger market...

What more proof does one need?

Ian

------------------

#175995 - 08/23/07 11:49 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Diki Offline

You would think that if they wanted to emulate Yamaha's market share, they would follow Yamaha's method. But the fact is, they don't...

Perhaps THEIR market research (having never screwed up that bad with a 76) gives them different answers...

Their are certainly enough members here who have moved FROM PSRs to 76 note arrangers to show that the need is there. And not many going FROM a 76 to a 61, happily. But, of course, we at SZ must be the most topsy-turvy bunch of arranger users in the world, mustn't we...?

#175996 - 08/23/07 12:08 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I don't think that the Synthzone crowd is representative of the average arranger keyboard user and even less of the average Yamaha a.k. user. Much more representative of the second category are dedicated Fora like:
PSR Tutorial SVP World or Yamaha PK Owner

If you hang on these Fora for -say- a week you will have a better grasp of the average Yamaha a.k. user and you will see that they couldn't care less for a 76 notes Tyros or S900.
Since they are also the vast majority of all Yamaha a.k. buyers, the moral of the story is that the folks at the Yamaha marketing department are -sadly- 100% right in their decision to go on with 61 notes keyboards.

You want a 76 notes arranger? Buy a Ketron, or a Korg or a Roland.
End of the story.

#175997 - 08/23/07 12:27 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

The number of people who switched to 76 notes on SZ is relatively small compared to the numbers Yamaha would consider in order to justify a 76 note instrument...it's always the same few who cry about it over and over...incessantly.

In my opinion, SZ has very little influence on Yamaha's decisions.

Ian

------------------
Roland, Korg and Yamaha too...will we ever get a chord sequencer from you?

#175998 - 08/23/07 12:42 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

Great post Dreamer...I saw yours just after mine was posted.

You're perfectly right...SZ is not representative of the average Yamaha arranger player.

Ian

------------------

#175999 - 08/23/07 01:39 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

sad sad .......sad ;(

Thank goodness for choices..

#176000 - 08/23/07 02:48 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki: This is all insane... If Yamaha ARE marketing to the 'home' user, why is keyboard size of any matter whatsoever? They don't move it around much and generally go for 88 keys if they DON'T buy an arranger.
i have seen nobody address this and answer it..how can you ignore the logic? that the home user wants 61 keys makes no sense. 61 is for a PORTABLE-minded user.

------------------
Miami Mo

#176001 - 08/23/07 02:54 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
keysvocalssax Offline

has everyone forgotten that CASIO is Yamaha's biggest competitor to the "home user", and Casio makes several 76/88-key boards..like the wk series. how come their research doesn't tell them to keep everything to 61??????

#176002 - 08/23/07 03:03 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dreamer Offline

Quote:

that the home user wants 61 keys makes no sense. 61 is for a PORTABLE-minded user.

Maybe because the "typical" home user is a former organ user? Organs tipically have 61 keys manuals (even if usually there are two of them), so the home user is more "at home" with the 61 keys format?
Misteries of the marketing...

#176003 - 08/23/07 03:04 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
abacus Offline

Hi Miami Mo
Ask yourself these questions
1. What instrument did arranger keyboards develop from?
2. How many keys did these instruments have?
Answer these 2 questions, and you will find the logic

Bill

#176004 - 08/23/07 03:20 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
has everyone forgotten that CASIO is Yamaha's biggest competitor to the "home user", and
Casio makes several 76/88-key boards..like the wk series. how come their research doesn't
tell them to keep everything to 61??????

Casio is marketing WK to the beginner piano players, as does Yamaha with the DGXs and YPs...for those who want a little extra.

Arranger buyers are usually coming from an organ/synth background, so 61 will do the job.

Ian

------------------

#176005 - 08/23/07 03:50 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Casio is marketing WK to the beginner piano players, as does Yamaha with the DGXs and YPs...for those who want a little extra.

Arranger buyers are usually coming from an organ/synth background, so 61 will do the job.

Ian

If that were the case, how do you explain Roland, Korg, Ketron, Lionstrack making 76 key arrangers?

And just because there are web sights that are dedicated to Yamaha arranger 61 key players does not say that those persons are in support of 61 key arrangers. It just means that they are dealing with what they are provided with.

#176006 - 08/23/07 04:21 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
If that were the case, how do you explain Roland, Korg, Ketron, Lionstrack making 76 key arrangers?

I suspect Yamaha is merely marketing their arranger series to a different audience. Yamaha's arranger selling point & focus has always been its user friendly interface especially attractive to the home hobbyist player and people transitioning from the now defunct home organ market. This remains the bulk of Yamaha's arranger keyboard market, and perhaps one of the reasons Yamaha is maintaining 61 keys on their arrangers, as it's the same as the 5 octave organ's range, with organ keyboard feel to boot.

The fact that there are pros out there now utilizing Yamaha arrangers (to gain one man band daily gigging portablility ease) too, is merely icing on the cake for Yamaha. Tyros2 continues to deliver the goods, at least for me.

Scott

#176007 - 08/23/07 08:42 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
I don't think that the Synthzone crowd is representative of the average arranger keyboard user and even less of the average Yamaha a.k. user.
If you hang on these Fora ( Yamaha YPKO ) for -say- a week you will have a better grasp of the average Yamaha a.k. user and you will see that they couldn't care less for a 76 notes Tyros or S900.

I concur. Home hobbyist vs pro player and one's playing skill level don't necessarily go hand in hand. Here's just a sampling of '61 note' Yamaha arranger keyboard music performed & shared by my Yamaha arranger keyboard member buddies on the Yamaha YPKO forum:

Willie Tait: This Is The Moment

John North: American Trilogy

Craig Eyre: Hello Again

Heikki Kahola: Apache

Eileen Lowrey: Theatre Organ Medley

Scott

#176008 - 08/23/07 11:24 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
casiobot Offline

Surprise,surprise guess what?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/M3-73--Main

Yeah, I know it's NOT an arranger but I was just shocked when I was going through Sweetwaters catalog last night.

I am now thoroughly convinced that there is a wiretap on what's left of my brain.

#176009 - 08/23/07 11:39 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
abacus Offline

Hi Scott
Just because Yamaha do not import their Electones (Organs) into Europe or the US any more does not mean the organ market is defunct.
As far as Electones go they are as popular as ever in the Asia market, and are constantly being imported into Europe by uses who find arranger keyboards too limiting.
New models from all manufactures are regularly released, with 4 manufactures releasing new models in the next few months. (Roland are releasing an entire new range)
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#176010 - 08/24/07 12:31 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dreamer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:

And just because there are web sights that are dedicated to Yamaha arranger 61 key players does not say that those persons are in support of 61 key arrangers. It just means that they are dealing with what they are provided with.

Fine... so all you have to do is go to one of the websites I mentioned before and ask the famous question:

"Who is interested into a 76 keys arranger?"

...and then wait and see.

#176011 - 08/24/07 03:20 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
The number of people who switched to 76 notes on SZ is relatively small compared to the numbers Yamaha would consider in order to justify a 76 note instrument...it's always the same few who cry about it over and over...incessantly.

In my opinion, SZ has very little influence on Yamaha's decisions.

Ian

judging by the amount of absolute crap that flies across this forum on a highly regular basis, how could we expect to be taken seriously... i mean seriously to be honest, if a serious Yamaha rep was looking at this site viewing our "conversations" or "discussions" they would probbaly laugh and think we are a bunch of tools. I merely dont blame them for not answering our requests...

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick G (edited 08-24-2007).]

#176012 - 08/24/07 06:21 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

Thank goodness for the SD1+

#176013 - 08/24/07 06:29 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

Yes, Donny, you obviously made a good choice...glad it's working for you.

Ian

------------------

#176014 - 08/24/07 06:38 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

Ian its not perfect but works for me ...the very small 76 footprint of the Sd1+ (smallest of all arrangers) is to my liking, sounds are stunning....although styles are IN YOUR FACE and with mucho tweaking I have got them sounding real nice ...to this point....navigation is very thoughtful for the live player, key-feel is wonderful......for now Im diggin it.....
I Will Not Rule Out other units down the road from any brand as long as it suffices MY needs.....but for now its the SD1+ for me. With whats out there now I am forced to be patient.
Glad you enjoying your S900 also

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online