SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#175986 - 08/23/07 05:39 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Ian, I have not doubt I didn't hurt Yamaha buying a G70. Wanna buy my Tyros?

I have tried the using an 88 note controller keyboard along the my Tyros2. Since the majority of my gigs are 1 hour nursing home or cocktail hours, it's a little bit more setup work than I care to do for 1 hour.

I think I'll pass on the Tyros, Stephen.

The S900 is perfect for MY needs.

I am considering buying the Yamaha NP-30(Squeaks new toy) for the times I may want to lay down a solo piano track with the S900 Song Creator...11.8 ilbs is pretty light and the action is very nice, especially considering the cost.

Taking two keyboards on a gig is a hassle...I've had no need of it myself as my gigs involve arranger play with styles only.

I played the G70...it is very nice, but not my cuppa tea...

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#175987 - 08/23/07 05:58 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill, I am not convinced..Roland has sold more E80's than G70's...

Personally I know of seven people that own G70's...2 People that own E80's , and 2 that own E60's..

The E80's are marketed thru the Home Piano dealers, and may have a false impression of leading sales[if you are relying on dealers opinions]..

I am sure I would love the E80 if I owned one, but with a choice...I would pass on it for the G70..76 keys are that important..

#175988 - 08/23/07 08:02 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Stephenm52
The YGP and DGX series are indeed aimed at home uses, however they are not aimed at keyboard players, but Piano beginners, (Hence the minimum of 76 notes) and which hopefully will spur the uses to upgrade in the future to something like the Clavinova series.

Bill

#175989 - 08/23/07 08:32 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I certainly can appreciate the desire for 76... I told them that if Yamaha could design a portable arr keyboard with 76 keys not exceeding the case size of Tyros2, I would be all for it, but I that I'd not be willing to compromise a significant increase in size and weight to gain that.

OK, let's think 73 - worked for Rhodes.

#175990 - 08/23/07 09:00 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

There should be 3 lightweight 61/76/88 quality key Arrangers to suit all needs until then its downhill from here.
$$$$ drives the mindset ....not OUR needs as depicted in the gear we have to settle with at present.....if you can find it outside of the Internet. The shift is in motion as we live players get phased out & replaced by so many alternatives.....its a slow defusing transformation that will take years...but eventually when we're all gone it wont matter or will it be even a thought.

#175991 - 08/23/07 09:21 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:

Scott, it is foolish to ask why we think we need the 76. the fact is we want it, we like it

Mo, though I'm able to live with 61, I too would have preferred Tyros2 to have 76 keys too, just as long as it doesn't compromise the PSR's reputation for lightweight & compact portability. And yes, Yamaha fully acknowledges that the PSR & even Tyros line are primarily targeted to home players. The fact that any pros (like myself & others here) utilize them for gigging is primarily icing on the cake for them. As Abacus stated, the Tyros2 & PSR series is not marketed to the traditional piano player in mind:

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Stephenm52
The YGP and DGX series are indeed aimed at home uses, however they are not aimed at keyboard players, but Piano beginners, (Hence the minimum of 76 notes) and which hopefully will spur the uses to upgrade in the future to something like the Clavinova series.

This all said, I need to stress that I made sure to point out to Yamaha that according to my calculation, 76 notes could conceivably fit within the current compact sized dimensions of Tyros2, by simply relocating the mod wheels to above the keys (as Ketron did with the SD1), and eliminating the shelf area to the right of the keybed and simply moving the USB stick port to another place.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-23-2007).]

#175992 - 08/23/07 09:48 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Stephenm52

Bill

Now that makes sense. BTW when talking Clavinova I have a CVP 307 and if I could transport that to a gig easily............ah never mind just wishful thinking

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-23-2007).]

#175993 - 08/23/07 11:04 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
This is all insane...

If Yamaha ARE marketing to the 'home' user, why is keyboard size of any matter whatsoever? They don't move it around much and generally go for 88 keys if they DON'T buy an arranger.

If they are selling to pros, well, PLENTY of them want a 76.

Just who in heck IS Yamaha's 'target customer'? Someone who gigs multiple times a day, and needs a small, lightweight arranger to toss in the back of their minicar? I would be prepared to say that is Yamaha's SMALLEST group, there!

This stinks FAR more of internal division politics - "OK, DGX line gets more keys, PSR line gets better voices" rather than any serious attempt to actually give the customers what they want...

#175994 - 08/23/07 11:38 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I would venture to say that there few people here who would have much insight into Yamaha's closely guarded internal politics...but, be that as it may, their methods obviously work for them

All other keyboard manufactures would love to have Yamaha's very substantial share of the arranger market...

What more proof does one need?

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#175995 - 08/23/07 11:49 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You would think that if they wanted to emulate Yamaha's market share, they would follow Yamaha's method. But the fact is, they don't...

Perhaps THEIR market research (having never screwed up that bad with a 76) gives them different answers...

Their are certainly enough members here who have moved FROM PSRs to 76 note arrangers to show that the need is there. And not many going FROM a 76 to a 61, happily. But, of course, we at SZ must be the most topsy-turvy bunch of arranger users in the world, mustn't we...?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online