SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#175956 - 08/22/07 08:59 AM WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

I keep hearing in discussions that although many people love Yamaha arrangers for what they are ....but there's always the ending tag line....
"I'd buy one IF IT HAD 76 KEYS!!!"
Why is it since the 9kpro there hasn't been another 76 key but they will make 76 key workstations? They should make 3 models for their TOTL arrangers 61/76/88 weighted piano.

#175957 - 08/22/07 09:05 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I think Yamaha might be more qualified to answer this question.

#175958 - 08/22/07 09:11 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Dnj Offline

No Taike ....I think the REAL players should voice their opinions on WHY? so that Yamaha will take notice & get their heads out of the asses and bring one to market....after all there is a very serious need for them.

#175959 - 08/22/07 10:56 AM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi DNJ
I doubt if they will ever say it publicly, but quietly they will tell you that the last 76 note arranger they made, was the biggest sales disaster in there entire arranger history, (A lot of marketing staff got their backsides (Butts) kicked) and so it is unlikely they will make the same error again. (Particularly as their research into their target market (Home Uses) shows minimal demand)
Although not confirmed, there are indications that other well known arranger manufactures are also considering dropping 76 notes.
Fingers crossed that the last paragraph is only rumour.

Bill

#175960 - 08/22/07 12:58 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yamaha's mistake was that, instead of simply coming out with a 76 note version of an already popular model, they decided to re-write the book, thus multiplying their chances at making a major mistake. All anybody really wants is an S900 with a 76 action... How complicated could that be, or how badly burned can they get doing just that?

And workstation 76-ers are generally only a few hundred dollars more than than their 61 cousins. And the less well built (like Korg TR series) they are, the difference is even less. I am SURE that all the 76-T2 or S900-76 requesters would be willing to pay the same difference...

Another big mistake with the 9000Pro was that there was no down-market 76 to accompany it. So everyone that HAD to have a 76 Yamaha HAD to get this one. It was VERY expensive, had many flaws, and burnt everyone involved. And no-one likes getting burned from the TOTL...

But if a mid-line or bottom-line arranger came out with few extra frills, based on an already successful model, I am sure Yamaha would not get burned so badly...

The main thing would be to just bring out an established, mature arranger (like the S900) with NOTHING extra but the keyboard. The only cost to Yamaha would be tooling up for the case (innards and buttons exactly the same as S900). Peanuts, compared to developing a NEW arranger.

Somebody at Yamaha needs to grow a pair...

#175961 - 08/22/07 02:37 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
My solution; an old one but with some refinements. Module versions of all the TOTL arrangers and a VERY SPECIAL 76 key controller (developed by a totally new and separate company) with adjustable keyfeel, sliders, buttons, knobs, dials, and touch screens AND factory-developed templates for every popular model (plus user programming abailable for the KETRON ). This way we all look equally cool (or uncool) on stage.

This "special controller keyboard" should cost about 1200.00 and each TOTL module should stay below a grand (that's a Sonic Cell with a $300 allowance for programming the styles ). Of course, since it's a practical solution, it'll never happen.

Oh well, waiting for that Nord C1 to start shipping. My gig's a' waiting.

chas

#175962 - 08/22/07 03:00 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Diki Offline

Post a review when you get that C1, chas. No Nord dealers near me...

And, 'adjustable key feel'? Nothing, AFAIK, has ever got THAT one right, yet alone in an affordable package.

Arrangers are very button driven, and so far, most controller keyboards tend to focus on knobs and sliders. The only way this will stay affordable is to have the buttons on the module itself, and that sit on the controller close to the left hand, I think...

Korg's new M3 might be pointing the way... Same module, different attached keyboards (or module alone). This what you envision, chas?

#175963 - 08/22/07 03:20 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Post a review when you get that C1, chas. No Nord dealers near me...?

...or me. This is strictly a "blind-faith" purchase. There are some pretty good reviews over on the Nord site.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Korg's new M3 might be pointing the way... Same module, different attached keyboards (or module alone). This what you envision, chas?

Haven't had much time to look at the M3. Been rehearsing with my new bandmates (using the triton as my make-believe, single manual B3). I'll do that.

chas

#175964 - 08/22/07 03:31 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Diki Offline

If you are looking for a killer acoustic piano for your Triton, this one might be worth looking at (it's a simple and cheap job to add 64MB RAM and a SCSI port and ZIP...)
http://www.ksounds.com/html/piano_21.html

Very warm and detailed, MUCH better than the Korg Piano board...

#175965 - 08/22/07 03:33 PM Re: WHY Wont Yamaha make a 76 KEY ARRANGER Arggggg!
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
After the extremely poor sales for the PSR 9000 Pro, I'm sure Yamaha will be slow to go down that failed road ever again.

The 9000 Pro was a great concept that was very poorly executed (an understatement). It was essentially a PSR 9000, MU100R, and a castrated A3000 sampler all thrown into a very well built heavy case with a great semi weighted keyboard but with horrible integration of the sound sources. The PLG sound slots were never well implemented and no matter how much Yamaha said they were going to better incorporate them, that never happened. In addition the 9000 Pro was plagued by a very slow internal processor that when overtaxed, would cause MIDI, timing, sequencer sync, and polyphony issues. Not since the early days of EMU, Kurzweil, and Ensoniq have I ever seen such a basket case for such an expensive keyboard/arranger/workstation.

I was probably one of the few people who had purchased a 9000 Pro and it was a major disappointment to me. The key feel, build quality, and many of the sounds were great, but the software and internal processor were so plagued with problems Yamaha eventually dropped all support for the 9000 Pro and discontinued it. Had Yamaha used a faster CPU, had better PLG integration, not castrated the sampler section, and done software improvements, the 9000 Pro could have done quite well.

I was also soured by Yamaha's customer support, or lack thereof, for the 9000 Pro and will likely never buy another Yamaha product because of their lack of support and lack of integrity. Mark Anderson himself personally told me Yamaha was working on fixes for the 9000 Pro and that never happened. It didn't show much integrity on Mr. Anderson's part or Yamaha's part when they discontinued all support for the 9000 Pro. They threw the baby out with the bath water!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online