SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#175681 - 08/25/04 04:05 PM New PA Speakers-1st impressions
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Just as our site went down, I had decided to purchase new PA speakers. Thought some would like to hear about the switch...

My generic rig is the Tyros, a Behringer PMX2000 box amp that has 10 channels including 3 stereo ones. I'm using a Sure SM58 and a Digitech VR Harmonizer that used to belong to Tom C.

The speakers I had been using were a pair of Yamaha 10" Club Series III's.

Regardless of doing solo gigs or my entire quartet, I felt we weren't getting the overall sonic range we wanted. The lows were not nearly strong enough and the highs just didn't sparkle like I thought they could...

I listened to the Peavey SP2, the Yamaha V Series and the Electrovoice Force 1's...15" two way cabinets in each case...

After listening to each the decision was pretty clear. I had taken my Tyros in and hooked it up to all three.

All were an improvement over the old Yamaha 10" inchers...

The Yamaha's and the Peavey's sounded very close to me...very middy, but strong highs and IMO, muddy lows...We played with the EQ's, never really got a sound I liked...

The EV's, which I thought at first would likely be the last brand I'd like were a clear cut above the other two. Nice firm bottom but with a clarity that I loved. The more I listened, the more I liked them. If I required great volume levels maybe I would've been tempted to go for the Yamaha's. (They sounded better the louder we turned it up...)

The shop I was dealing with does trades all the time, plus I'm a regular customer...So for an old organ, and two beat up 10" Powered Eons, (none of which I'd used in a LONG time) I had my new PA speakers.

It cost me $16.99 to get 2- 25' speak-on cables and I was out the door. Even my wife was happy!

I've been using them ever since...I am super pleased with them...I've done several nursing home gigs, plus two club dates and one wedding with them in the last 10 days. The comments have been very positive and I'm wondering why I didn't do this earlier.

The weigh 46 lbs. a piece, which isn't great but not so bad...They also fit nicely in my van...

...here's a link to the EV Force 1's...
http://www.electrovoice.com/electrovoice...A3?Opendocument

Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 08-25-2004).]

#175682 - 08/25/04 06:02 PM Re: New PA Speakers-1st impressions
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Bill,

From one EV enthusiast to another, congrats on your new EV Force i speakers. I too appreciate the 'EV sound' for its smooth natural sounding (and unhyped) frequency response throughout the entire frequency range. I think you already know which (36 lb) EV powered PA speakers I'm planning to eventually move up (from my SxA100's) to:
http://www.electrovoice.com/Electrovoice/EVFiles.nsf/Lookup/SxA360_EDS.pdf/$file/SxA360_EDS.pdf

Scott

#175683 - 08/25/04 09:30 PM Re: New PA Speakers-1st impressions
Dnj Offline

Bill.....did you try to hook up a nice powered Sub to beef up the bottom end to the two yamaha 10" speakers before you got rid of them?

#175684 - 08/25/04 09:58 PM Re: New PA Speakers-1st impressions
Bill in Dayton Offline

Donny-

Matter of fact, I did a few months ago and it wasn't at all pleasing...

The Yamaha's even with a sub-seemed overly mid-heavy and the lack of definition in the highs wasn't improved...

BTW, I'd still like to chat w/you about your dances sometimes...

Bill in Dayton

#175685 - 08/26/04 12:45 AM Re: New PA Speakers-1st impressions
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
have you tried JBL MPRO,and new EONII powerd 15s and Yokville (eg NX550P)-they also have non pwred models -they are in similar price range.

#175686 - 08/26/04 04:44 AM Re: New PA Speakers-1st impressions
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bill, I've been convinced that EV's are the best for a long time. Even though I own a set of Mackie C300's, the EV Sx100 or 300 were and remain my first choice. I had an opportunity to purchase a used Sb121 sub-woofer and have only gotten raves from every musician who hears it. Good luck.

http://www.electrovoice.com/electrovoice/EVfiles.nsf/lookup/Sb121a/$File/SB121_534930.PDF

p.s. sorry for the incorrect model numbers on my original post

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 08-26-2004).]

#175687 - 08/26/04 05:27 AM Re: New PA Speakers-1st impressions
Dnj Offline

Bill,
Thanx for the reply on the Sub....you know my first choice would have been the Barbetta Sona 32c speakers www.barbetta.com sound, mixer versatility, weight etc..
I wish you luck with the Ev's.....
Call me after the Holidays I'd be glad to chat ok?

#175688 - 08/26/04 05:51 AM Re: New PA Speakers-1st impressions
Bill in Dayton Offline

Jam-man:

They had a JBL 15 there as well but it was a higher price, so I steered away from it.

Regarding the newer Eons, just not what I'm looking for in speakers.

Not familiar at all with the Yokville brand at all...

#175689 - 08/26/04 05:54 AM Re: New PA Speakers-1st impressions
Dnj Offline

#175690 - 08/27/04 12:52 AM Re: New PA Speakers-1st impressions
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Jam-man:

They had a JBL 15 there as well but it was a higher price, so I steered away from it.

Regarding the newer Eons, just not what I'm looking for in speakers.

Not familiar at all with the Yokville brand at all...

old pwred EONs(less watts than new ones) are 399$(so is Mpro 4** series).

Ykville is a must heard though is more expensive but you won't look back.Better than JBL eons,makie,yam(MI grade) and EVs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online