SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#175538 - 07/14/01 09:12 PM What kind of music would this be?
XP60User Offline

Loc: On, Canada
Dear All,
In my experimentation with music I have been going on musical rants (the best way I can describe it in words). Its not a particular type of music, sometimes blues, sometimes rocknroll, sometimes latin, and so on...whatever hits the mood. Lately I have also been singing lyrics to this music on the fly, just whatever comes to my mind (ranting?).
Some of the ranting sounds good, so I put it down on paper, but I can't seem to stick to one rant/song I always seem to want to change it to whatever feels in the mood. Some of it jives very well, other stuff, i guess is just part of the process.
I was wondering would this be classified as "Jazz" or improvisational music/lyrics? As well, is there a market for this kind of a show? where the song is never the same, overall it might sound similar to what I played it as first, but I keep changing it and adding stuff, dropping stuff (lyrics and music).

TIA for your input.

----------------------
When you are down and depressed, does your body go in the "flashes" mode? Do you get all "goose bumpy" when you connect with someone? Thats proof that your cells know what you are thinking. This body of ours is one. There is no distinction between mind and body.

#175539 - 07/18/01 02:34 PM Re: What kind of music would this be?
XP60User Offline

Hi All,
Any input would be appreciated. I simply haven't heard what I am singing (style, and lyrics improvised on the fly ending up in a coherent story or idea) before. Anyone heard anything like that before. Is it classifiable music or just part of the process of learning music?
Any input would be much appreciated.

---------------------
The world is coming to a beginning. Everything so far was a preface to a wonderfully exciting future.

[This message has been edited by XP60User (edited 07-18-2001).]

#175540 - 07/18/01 02:51 PM Re: What kind of music would this be?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
record an example and let us hear.

#175541 - 07/18/01 10:44 PM Re: What kind of music would this be?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sounds sort of like what we used to call "jamming'. You must be pretty sharp to make up coherent lyrics on the fly though.
DonM

#175542 - 07/19/01 08:15 AM Re: What kind of music would this be?
danb Offline

Sounds like a demo song on my old Korg X5 keyboard.

#175543 - 07/19/01 10:29 PM Re: What kind of music would this be?
XP60User Offline

Well, as far as coherence, I believe that is a matter of personal perception. To me they seem coherent, may not to others though,
Its kind of wierd making a recording of it. I tried doing it but my inspiration seems to dissappear when I know that the mic is on and i am recording myself. I become a little uptight. It comes out much better and fluidly when I just do it out of the blue, unprepared. Preparing to record it seems to kill the whole feeling, the instinct dissappears and I start thinking, which just kills it.
I will try to make some kind of recording though. Might try to keep the mic running and hopefully forget that it is and maybe something comes out.

Thanks for the input all.

--------------------------
We are all born uncultured like animals. Then as we grow up we learn our limits, and realize the importance of the smallest of things. Keeping this in mind, the future is in our hands, not our childrens. We have the power to make the next generation of humans "animals" or well-cultured, respectful (to the environment and the little things like family), and decent human beings.

#175544 - 07/21/01 08:56 AM Re: What kind of music would this be?
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
I once read that there is good in everything and when we try to mold it we turn it into ???? so perhaps just keep doing it and dont let any of us organise it for you.

#175545 - 07/21/01 11:00 AM Re: What kind of music would this be?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Recording tip: If you have a Hi-fi stereo VCR around, hook it up to your gear and leave it on record. You can let it run either 2 or 6 hours dending on the mode. You'll forget it's on and relax.
DonM

#175546 - 07/22/01 07:22 PM Re: What kind of music would this be?
XP60User Offline

Thanks for your reply all.

DonM:
Very interesting idea. Though, I am afraid I am a little hazy on this. I thought VCR's were for "video" recordings only, ofcourse audio/video but not audio only. I have never recorded audio on them. How would I do this? This is new to me.
So I am guessing that I would connect the output of my music gear to the audio input on the VCR, the one that a camcorder would use to record a movie for example (the red one)?
So, in essence the finished product will be a video cassette tape with only audio on it?
Furthermore, does that mean that the audio-in on the VCR is a regular audio input and not some proprietary NTSC-only audio input?
And does it have to be a "Hi-Fi stereo" VCR? I have a couple of VCRs but I think they are mono, there is no mention of stereo on them, unless I am not looking in the right place.
If I am thinking about this right, hmmmm, this opens up a little bit of a new possibility for me. Please clarify.
TIA
flowerssupply: Thanks for your wise advise. If only we could all take a good dose of it, then there would be no "dividing" boundaries of race, culture etc. I believe set boundaries are healthy, but when these are used to "divide and subordinate" then I am cautious of those who promote them.
As far as this thing that I am doing, it may just be a personal "jamming" session as DonM said, except I tend to improvise on both vocals and music.

#175547 - 07/22/01 08:24 PM Re: What kind of music would this be?
Spacehead Offline

Loc: Pa. USA
XP60User

It's been awhile since i've shopped for a VCR, but i believe most should have "audio in/out, L/R" just like a regular tape deck you would hook up to your stereo system. A VCR will also have "video in/out"(obviously).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online