SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#175486 - 04/25/03 09:14 AM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Well guys and gals, I had the opportunity to try the KP-200S a few days ago, and though it has lots of features, it was not what I had hoped. Without the use of a subwoofer, it does not have sufficient botttom end for mid size jobs. Granted, it weighs less than the 90-pound speakers I'm packing around, but at 55 pounds, it's still not in the lightweight category. When you're used to playing with a full PA system, wide band EQ and 15-inch speakers, it's tough to find something that provides the sounds you have been enjoying through the years. Consequently, the search continues to lighten the load and still have that gut thumpin' bass. Next, I'll be listening to Barbetta Sona 32, which I sincerely believe will achieve the goal. It only weighs in at 36-1/2 pounds, uses 15-inch woofers, a 4X10 constant directity horn tweeter and packs a walloping 450 watts. From the spec sheet, this one may be what the doctor ordered.

Oh, I almost forgot. For the folks that go on about size and price, I'm hoping mine is smaller than yours and I don't care what it cost--just as long as it gets the job done.

Cheers,

Gary

Hey Gary ,

We additioned the amp pretty high off the floor . Perhaps we can give it another try when my new store opens , but audition a little closer to the manufacturer's recommendations .

Dano

#175487 - 04/25/03 10:16 AM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'll be more than happy to do that Dan--and again, good luck with the new store. I'm sure you'll be successful.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#175488 - 05/13/03 07:20 PM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
Dnj Offline

Scott,
Its been a few weeks now... I would assume you have more then few gigs under you belt using this amp......how is it working out so far?

#175489 - 05/13/03 08:34 PM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm finding the KP-100S the idea PA for all my smaller acoustic combo style gigs (less than 40 people) and which usually requires quick setup/breakdown. It's especially good used with no onboard speaker keyboards as the KP-100S & KP-200S design can provide both the sound to the audience as well as stereo monitoring to the performer as well. I'm finding the bass response on the KP-100S sufficient for intimate acoustic lounge music in smaller rooms. For added bass omph, I just grab the the Tyros subwoofer (with built in handle) and place it under the kb. The KP-100S performs double duty as an 'onstage monitor' for larger venues with the EV SxA100's acting as the mains. I'm really happy with the versatility my current kb/pa setup offers.

Scott

#175490 - 05/13/03 08:43 PM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
Dnj Offline

Thats great Scott,

Good to hear your enjoying your MotionSound KP-100s Amp. I'm curious to know if voice id affected by the stereo phase FX.

#175491 - 05/13/03 08:59 PM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
AFter re-adjusting (lowering) the vocal efx level on the Tyros, I don't experience any vocal problems coming from the KP-100S when the KP-100S expander is set to an appropriate (not overly exagerrated) level. - Scott

#175492 - 05/14/03 06:54 AM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
Re. some of the talk here about phase inversion.

Some years ago I heard of a simple trick (I think it was called the Hafler effect, or something) where if a third speaker was placed in the centre between the two outer speakers and this third speaker was wired by taking the + from one side and the - from the other side, it would result in the centre speaker outputting the 'out-of-phase' information, thereby creating a centre channel of sorts. Is this what the MS does?
Has anyone tried this?

#175493 - 05/14/03 07:13 AM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Red:
...I think it was called the Hafler effect, or something)...Has anyone tried this?

Hey Big Red,

Yep, it's called the Hafler effect or Out Of Phase Stereo or OOPS.

Never tried it with a keyboard setup but I use to do this in my cars. Back in the old days when they still put a center speaker in the middle of the front dash. My first car, a 69 Olds Cutlass, I had a Craig PowerPlay 8-track, Big Boomers in the rear deck and then I would wire the front speaker by sending just the '+' sides to the front speaker.

Nice little trick. Some folks think it was better sounding than using fancy electronics to get the same effect.

mike

#175494 - 05/15/03 10:07 AM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The Hafler effect was used by stereo manufacturers during the mid 1950s to produce a mid channel during crossover (panning) from one channel to another. The end result was a smooth, flowing transition between channels that still surpasses today's electronic panning effects. Essentially, the center speaker is connected between both positive lines of the left and right channels. Though I haven't tried this with the keyboard, now that the old timers on the forum have jogged the cobwebs of my mind, I'll have to hook that up when I get back from tonight's gig.

Thanks for the memories guys and gals,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#175495 - 06/04/03 11:06 AM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
daveher999 Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ, USA
I've read the posts and find them very enlightening. I want your opinions about using this amp for what I'll call medium size gigs... dance clubs from 50-200 persons, in a five piece band (standard config...guitar,bass, drummer, keys, singer)
I'll be using this amp as my main keyboard amp, no vocals running through it.

Thanks guys and gals

[This message has been edited by daveher999 (edited 06-04-2003).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online