SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#175476 - 04/24/03 01:56 PM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
Scott & Pro... Since the MS-KP is best positioned at an upward angle, is the sound dispersement not dependant on ceiling height? In fact, would some of the effect be lost in a room wigh a very high ceiling?

No... and let me clarify what is going on with the KP's: they have a built-in stereo phase inverter that is called a "stereo expander" or sometimes marketed as a "3D Spatial Processor". You can find these devices in lots of places, mostly as add-on units for home and car stereos. It is an aural trick - by variably reversing the phase of the signal the sounds that are normally panned towards the center are panned to the outside and vice versa (you must hear it for this not to sound like gibberish). The sound "expands" when this happens and it actually sounds like the speakers are invisibly being moved into a wider field of separation. Too much of the effect sounds like you've moved the amp into another room altogether. Room acoustics will not have any real impact on the effectiveness of the expansion.

Quote:
Originally posted by DNJ:
Lately a "Mine is Better Then Yours" aura is in the air, or maybe its my imagination.
I think this is a misperception, especially in this case where Scott was not comparing his new KP to anyone else's speaker or amp choice. I chose the larger KP-200s but I don't think Scott takes offense when I ask him if he's missing the bass that my amp seems to have in abundance. He would if I dropped it on his foot maybe! I am getting great ideas in the "Budget Studio" thread where several people have posted pictures and comparisons of their equipment in the spirit of learning from one another, with no one-upsmanship even in the least. Some ideas simply ARE better than others and if I can learn from anything from anyone here, I am the better for it.

#175477 - 04/24/03 02:31 PM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Lately a "Mine is Better Then Yours" aura is in the air, or maybe its my imagination

Donny: In adding to the Pro's remarks: Please don't let your 'imagination' get the best of you . Believe me, there was absolutely no intention on my part of projecting a: "Mine is Better then Yours" attitude whatsoever. If you thought this, then I certainly apologize, and welcome someone to provide evidence of this.

I think I made it quite clear that I felt the KP-100S not the best speaker solution for everyone or every situation. I accept its limitations (weak bass) but appreciate its advantages (small size/weight, accurate clean & natural sounding stereo voice reprduction) for those small 'acoustic lounge' venues where more enhanced bass isn't required.

Donny: My surprise was ONLY over the fact that you seemed not to understand the principal 'feature' of Motion Sound Key Pro speakers: it's ability to provide enhanced stereo reproduction from a 'single' box.

Ok, I think there's been way too much tension around here on the forum lately. I hope we can all clear the air, move on and all remain friends in our common goal to further the interest and advancement of arranger keyboard music making.

Scott

#175478 - 04/24/03 02:51 PM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
It seems that such high praise for the stereo effects of the KP 100 makes it a contender for the perfect keyboard speaker... but, many of us really want that strong tight bass you can best get from a subwoofer.

The KP has a subwoofer out, right? A "lightweight" subwoofer (under 40 lbs) would be the ideal companion for this speaker. I there such a thing? My web search says NO. George, anybody?

Glenn

#175479 - 04/24/03 03:29 PM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
It seems that such high praise for the stereo effects of the KP 100 makes it a contender for the perfect keyboard speaker

GlennT: No, far from 'perfect' keyboard speaker for sure, but this setup just happens to address my needs for my specific intimate 'acoustic type gig' venue setup.

Quote:
The KP has a subwoofer out, right? A "lightweight" subwoofer (under 40 lbs) would be the ideal companion for this speaker. I there such a thing?

Yes, the KP-100S includes a subwoofer output. The lightweight subwoofer solution that works (for me) for those small room situations weighs 17 lbs. This is the optional subwoofer portion of the Tyros speakers (TRS-MS01) I had purchased with the Yamaha Tyros, and I can plug it directly into the Tyros. I find the 40 watt Tyros subwoofer a nice match for the KP-100S, providing all the bass I'll need for the 100watt output of the KP-100S. For situations where I'm willing to take out TWO speakers and TWO speaker stands, my preference still goes to (by far) a pair of EV SxA100's. Obviously, there's NO perfect speaker for every given situation. Geez, all this gets so complicated. and I just want to make music.

Scott

#175480 - 04/24/03 08:09 PM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
RJMiller Offline

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Scott and The Accordionist:
Are you positioning the amp BEHIND you?
How far?

Thanks for your reply.

RJM

#175481 - 04/24/03 08:48 PM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
The Accordionist Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RJMiller:
Scott and The Accordionist:
Are you positioning the amp BEHIND you?
How far?

Thanks for your reply.

RJM

Well, kind of. I place the amp behind me but since I stand when I play I probably spend 50% of the time with the amp behind me and the other 50% looking at the amp! (that darn 15 foot Millenium cable gives me too much freedom)

Never really thought about walking behind the amp and taking a listen. I'll try that tonight.

#175482 - 04/25/03 04:19 AM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
danb Offline

Did KP amps use this very same efx from this site? This might be a cheaper alternative.
http://www.crateaudio.com/products/studio_modules/SM2-SRS.html

#175483 - 04/25/03 06:05 AM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by danb:
Did KP amps use this very same efx from this site? This might be a cheaper alternative.
http://www.crateaudio.com/products/studio_modules/SM2-SRS.html

There's many stereo phase invertors on the market so it'd be hard to say exactly which is used in the KP's, and it isn't rocket science so the engineers at Motion Sound likely just made up their own... but the biggest selling feature with the KP amps isn't just the stereo expander or any one particular feature - it's having a single, good-sounding dedicated keyboard amplifier with everything you need to pull off a gig in one box that is getting the rave reviews. As much as I like my KP-200s, it does not sound better nor have as many features as a full PA system would, and I think most other KP owners agree with that and will keep their PA's for when necessary. I don't need a large PA system for 90%+ of my gigs so the KP fits a niche I didn't know I had until I got one. It may be cheaper to cobble together a PA with all the KP has and it may even sound better when complete, but it won't be as handy or cute!

#175484 - 04/25/03 06:29 AM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Well guys and gals, I had the opportunity to try the KP-200S a few days ago, and though it has lots of features, it was not what I had hoped. Without the use of a subwoofer, it does not have sufficient botttom end for mid size jobs. Granted, it weighs less than the 90-pound speakers I'm packing around, but at 55 pounds, it's still not in the lightweight category. When you're used to playing with a full PA system, wide band EQ and 15-inch speakers, it's tough to find something that provides the sounds you have been enjoying through the years. Consequently, the search continues to lighten the load and still have that gut thumpin' bass. Next, I'll be listening to Barbetta Sona 32, which I sincerely believe will achieve the goal. It only weighs in at 36-1/2 pounds, uses 15-inch woofers, a 4X10 constant directity horn tweeter and packs a walloping 450 watts. From the spec sheet, this one may be what the doctor ordered.

Oh, I almost forgot. For the folks that go on about size and price, I'm hoping mine is smaller than yours and I don't care what it cost--just as long as it gets the job done.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#175485 - 04/25/03 06:38 AM Re: Motion Sound KP-100S: A WINNER !
Dnj Offline

Gary,

You wont be dissapointed with the
Sona 32c's....
just ask Tom Cavanaugh

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online