SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17527 - 01/05/99 01:40 PM AG-01 Audio Gallery Win95 drivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you own one of these units and are having trouble with Win95, contact me. The old drivers work fine, but setup isn't automatic.

#17528 - 03/01/99 02:08 AM Re: AG-01 Audio Gallery Win95 drivers
Guru Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
And don't even THINK of Windows 98!

#17529 - 03/01/99 02:23 AM Re: AG-01 Audio Gallery Win95 drivers
Guru Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Oh, what the heck! The serial port driver for the Korg Audio Gallery is one of those flukes where they got it right the first time! The Windows 3.1x driver works quite well under Win95, you just have to add it "manually". It is NOT that hard.

First, you must have a disk with "OEMSETUP.INF", "korgsmv1.386", and "korgsmd1.drv" (try disk 1 of the original installation disks), or copy the files to a temporary folder on your hard drive. AND, the unit must be plugged into a functioning serial port and powered up before you can configure the driver.

1. Launch the "Add New Hardware Wizard" - Go to "Control Panel", Click on "Add New Hardware". When the wizard opens, click "Next".

2. Select Manual installation - The next window asks, "Do you want Windows to search for your new hardware?", select "No", then click "Next".

3. Select the type of hardware you want to install - From the list, select "Sound, video and game controllers". Then click "Next".

4. Click the manufacturer and model - Click on "Have Disk".

5. Install From Disk - Enter the path to the file "OEMSETUP.INF". Usually, this is in the root directory of the first disk (A:\). Click "OK".

6. Select Device - Under "Models:" should be "KORG PC I/F Driver". If it is not already highlighted, select, then click "OK".

7. Windows can continue installing - click on "Finish".

8. Select the correct COM port - at the next window, "KORG PC I/F Driver 1.0" - select the correct serial (COM) port, then click "OK".

9. You must now restart your computer.

Note 1: This process copies two drivers to the Windows\system folder, adds "device=korgsmv1.386" to the [386Enh] section of System.ini, adds "midi1=korgsmd1.drv" to the [drivers] section of System.ini, and adds a [korgsmd1.drv] section to System.ini with the following lines:

com=1 ;0=none, 1=COM1, etc.
messages=32383

Note 2: You must still "Map" Windows midi output to the device. Go to Control Panel, double click "Multimedia", and select the "MIDI" tab. Click once on "KORG PC I/F MIDI Port" to highlight, then click "OK".

Note 3: If you need to change the serial port, go to "Control Panel", double click on "Multimedia", select the "Advanced" tab, expand the "MIDI Devices and Instruments" (click on the "+"), click on the "KORG PC I/F MIDI Port", then click "Properties", then click "Settings". Make your selection, then "OK" your way back out to Control Panel.

Note 4: The Audio Gallery is "General MIDI" device. If your percussion tracks are playing on a piano, then Windows 95 is confused! Go to "Control Panel", double click on "Multimedia:, select the "Advanced" tab, expand the "MIDI Devices and Instruments" (click on the "+"), click on the "KORG PC I/F MIDI Port", then click "Properties", then select the "Details" tab. Select "General MIDI Instrument", then "OK" your way back out to Control Panel.

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 03-01-99).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online