SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174910 - 08/04/06 09:04 AM In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
For those of you who play live - d'ya ever get jerks who request stupid songs just to be funny? Sure you do... this summer my project has been to take them on. "Freebird" was too easy... it's a crappy song in the first place and I arranged a lounge version of it with no effort. But the second most-requested stupid iconic song was a real challenge: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida... a truly over-rated iconic rock classic. I had a written request for this a few weeks ago which stated "WITH drum solo!". This actually took a little thought... so here's a rough recording of my version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida just for your amusement, all done on my Yamaha 9000 Pro. I hope those jerks come back.

Question: in anticipation of the next jerks I encounter, what would be the next stupid iconic request song to take on?

#174911 - 08/04/06 09:08 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Chris Valenti Offline

Loc: Florida

#174912 - 08/04/06 09:16 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Super job Jim!
I can't wait to hear it through my Bose L1's

Eddie

#174913 - 08/04/06 10:25 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for sharing Esh, not heard that tune before but it is very nice.

#174914 - 08/04/06 10:49 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Anonymous
Unregistered

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

In the Garden of Eden

#174915 - 08/04/06 11:51 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Can't wait for a Bossanova version of American Pie........

#174916 - 08/04/06 11:54 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Occasionally, as a goof, we'll play standards as high school marching band numbers. Think of it...Misty, The Shadow of your Smile, The Look of Love..they ALL work.

What fun!

Russ

#174917 - 08/04/06 12:56 PM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Esh Offline

Mmmm... thought-provoking stuff here...

"Aqua Lung" definitely has potential for twisting and it's a song I never liked, which helps. Wouldn't you know it - that reminds of a pretty cool Jethro Tull song to do straight: "Living In The Past". Hadn't thought of that song in years and now I'll probably not be able to stop thinking about it.

Madonna already took on "American Pie" and did a pretty slick disco-ish version... good thought but not what I'm after. But Bossanova is right down my alley... perhaps a Bossanova cover of "Stairway To Heaven"? Snap!

#174918 - 08/04/06 02:47 PM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Cool, Esh!

Y'know, in retrospect, that wasn't an unpleasant chord progression in that song. I guess it was a diamond in the rough all along. Whod'a thunk it?

Given that it's an arranger, the 'drum solo' might be called lacklustre, but hey it was in there as per requested by said jerks. I'd like to have seen the look on their faces when they heard your rendition.

There's gotta be plenty of weirdo stuff from the psychedelic era that's a suitable case for treatment - think Hawkwind, Pacific Gas & Electric, and others that are now lost in the purple haze.

#174919 - 08/04/06 09:29 PM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
OK Esh!

Interesting version, I liked it. You know you could do a medley with Fever.

I actually used to play that song when I was a high school "rock star." I was truly cool wearing my white Nehru (sp?) jacket with my maroon Iron Cross with my Capri (Panther) chord organ and Fender Bandmaster. God, was I cool, haha.

Anyway, brought back some interesting memories.

Speaking of using different rhythms on different tunes, and hopefully improving a song with a little different flavor, try Perdido using a Cha Cha in the same vein as Perez Prado's Patricia. Kind of a cool new way to do that one.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 08-04-2006).]

#174920 - 08/05/06 12:12 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey Chris Valenti,

Just listened to your songs on the link on your page on the post above and am blown away with your voice.

To me it's like a mixture of Benson/Wonder/Sembelo - My favourite track is "Your in my Heart" but they are all good.

What instruments did you use on your recording and is that a vocal harmoniser you use sometimes?

I know you are professional from your website but I just wanted to tell you how much I liked and admired you work.

Regards - KF

#174921 - 08/05/06 10:10 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Your version is good but certainly not what there looking for.

The next time someone asks--- just play the midi version, and move on. You will suprise them and they'll think your great. You'll have made a few more friends. Actually the drum solo in the midi is pretty good.

Believe it or not I work with a few people that think this is still a great song.
http://tinyurl.com/msre2

Regards,

Jerry

#174922 - 08/05/06 12:37 PM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Esh Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerryghr:
Your version is good but certainly not what there looking for.

Jerry

It is not, and never will be, my intention to give the people asking for "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" what "they are looking for". When I'm playing easy-listening jazz/pop as a soloist in a restaurant setting (that's what I do), the jerks that request this are not seriously expecting an authentic rendition... they're just being jerks. If I can amuse myself at their expense then turnabout is fair play.

True story: by coincidence, last night I was at a nice upscale Italian restaurant where I play a grand piano with accompaniment, and I customarily hand out a songlist to each table with 200 selections ranging from Cole Porter to Sting. The very first table I went to was a nice 30-something couple with a young boy, and as I handed them my list and offered to take requests the guy smarts off: "Do you play In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida?". As he and his wife chuckled at their wit I replied that I would play it right after my opening Gershwin selection, and I walked away. That felt pretty damn good.

#174923 - 08/06/06 11:03 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
I liked it.

Regards,
George

#174924 - 08/06/06 11:05 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Darn Esh, that should win a prize or something. That's really cool. I also thought that it actually shows that the song has a unique chord progression.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#174925 - 08/06/06 11:09 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I've been thinking about what you did. You might work up severa of these and be sure to include Freebird. Play them at our gigs and see how it goes. Baby Boomers are now in midlife and you are one who can pull this off in a grand way.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#174926 - 08/10/06 05:24 PM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
ChuckHall Offline

Loc: Bozeman, MT USA
I love your rendition. It inspired my to give it a try with a jazz feel as well. I now combine it with Smell's Like Teen Spirit! Now there's a combination.

#174927 - 08/10/06 07:32 PM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
MrEd Offline

Esh, its a keeper!
What can ya do with Led Zeppelin's "The Immigrant Song"?
I was thinking maybe a beguine @ 115, using the choir voices at the beginning on those "ah ah ahhh"s.

#174928 - 08/11/06 12:56 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Lot of inspiration to be had in Paul Anka's 'Rock Swings......
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009A1BXG/002-9298760-3774424?v=glance&n=5174

#174929 - 08/11/06 06:05 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Lot of inspiration to be had in Paul Anka's 'Rock Swings......
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009A1BXG/002-9298760-3774424?v=glance&n=5174

We saw Paul Anka in concert last week and he did a few tunes from that CD ... while the CD met mixed reviews, I was surprised at how good some of the tunes were - including "Smells Like Teen Spirit" ...
One of the joys of an arranger kb is the ability to play songs from one genre in a totally different style, and look around at the crowd to see who is catching it . ...
t.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online