SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174910 - 08/04/06 09:04 AM In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
For those of you who play live - d'ya ever get jerks who request stupid songs just to be funny? Sure you do... this summer my project has been to take them on. "Freebird" was too easy... it's a crappy song in the first place and I arranged a lounge version of it with no effort. But the second most-requested stupid iconic song was a real challenge: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida... a truly over-rated iconic rock classic. I had a written request for this a few weeks ago which stated "WITH drum solo!". This actually took a little thought... so here's a rough recording of my version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida just for your amusement, all done on my Yamaha 9000 Pro. I hope those jerks come back.

Question: in anticipation of the next jerks I encounter, what would be the next stupid iconic request song to take on?

#174911 - 08/04/06 09:08 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Chris Valenti Offline

Loc: Florida

#174912 - 08/04/06 09:16 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Super job Jim!
I can't wait to hear it through my Bose L1's

Eddie

#174913 - 08/04/06 10:25 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for sharing Esh, not heard that tune before but it is very nice.

#174914 - 08/04/06 10:49 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Anonymous
Unregistered

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

In the Garden of Eden

#174915 - 08/04/06 11:51 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Can't wait for a Bossanova version of American Pie........

#174916 - 08/04/06 11:54 AM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Occasionally, as a goof, we'll play standards as high school marching band numbers. Think of it...Misty, The Shadow of your Smile, The Look of Love..they ALL work.

What fun!

Russ

#174917 - 08/04/06 12:56 PM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Mmmm... thought-provoking stuff here...

"Aqua Lung" definitely has potential for twisting and it's a song I never liked, which helps. Wouldn't you know it - that reminds of a pretty cool Jethro Tull song to do straight: "Living In The Past". Hadn't thought of that song in years and now I'll probably not be able to stop thinking about it.

Madonna already took on "American Pie" and did a pretty slick disco-ish version... good thought but not what I'm after. But Bossanova is right down my alley... perhaps a Bossanova cover of "Stairway To Heaven"? Snap!

#174918 - 08/04/06 02:47 PM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Cool, Esh!

Y'know, in retrospect, that wasn't an unpleasant chord progression in that song. I guess it was a diamond in the rough all along. Whod'a thunk it?

Given that it's an arranger, the 'drum solo' might be called lacklustre, but hey it was in there as per requested by said jerks. I'd like to have seen the look on their faces when they heard your rendition.

There's gotta be plenty of weirdo stuff from the psychedelic era that's a suitable case for treatment - think Hawkwind, Pacific Gas & Electric, and others that are now lost in the purple haze.

#174919 - 08/04/06 09:29 PM Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and other stupid iconic songs
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
OK Esh!

Interesting version, I liked it. You know you could do a medley with Fever.

I actually used to play that song when I was a high school "rock star." I was truly cool wearing my white Nehru (sp?) jacket with my maroon Iron Cross with my Capri (Panther) chord organ and Fender Bandmaster. God, was I cool, haha.

Anyway, brought back some interesting memories.

Speaking of using different rhythms on different tunes, and hopefully improving a song with a little different flavor, try Perdido using a Cha Cha in the same vein as Perez Prado's Patricia. Kind of a cool new way to do that one.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 08-04-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online