SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#174752 - 09/27/02 12:40 PM The concept of Discover 5
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are some points about the way the new Roland Discover 5 works:

- The "arrangements" are made with midi files. In each midi file the user can memorize 4 "flags", corresponding, for example, to Intro/Part A/Part B/End. Each
part can be played repeatedly until the user decides to jump to another part. This seems to work pretty much like the "song styles" in arrangers, with the difference that in the Discover, chords are not triggered by the left part of the keyboard.

- Memory is in the form of SmartMedia cards which means instant access to songs! The keyboard is sold with a 64 Mb card, loaded with 100 midi files. It corresponds to 10% of the total memory available in the card.

- There is a "Cover" function that seems to work like the drum remix feature in the Ketron XD9: one can play a midifile along with a different drum pattern/style.

- Drums kits fully editable (Easy Editing Function).

- Mic Input. Harmonizer: powerful and programable. It follows the notes of a certain midi track (the melody track, for example).

I think the Fran Carango ordered one of these keyboards. Any impressions you wanna share, Fran?

-- José.

#174753 - 09/27/02 12:50 PM Re: The concept of Discover 5
Anonymous
Unregistered

Other details about the keyboard:

- 44 drum kits (including oriental)
- compatibility GM2 & GS
- 1422 sounds
- 72 "Covers" (patterns to mix with midi files)
- Video Output
- .txt file import (for lyrics)
- Function "Song chord extractor"
- Mic PreAmp (with gain control
- Programable Harmonizer

-- José.

#174754 - 01/04/06 08:03 PM Re: The concept of Discover 5
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have been setting up my DisCover5 the last couple of days..I am going into great detail setting it up this time around..
I am using 1,260 SMF's with lyrics.
I am setting 4 markers for each SMF.

I have set the vocalizer settings optimized for me. This vocalizer takes a backseat to none..Vocal effects are terrific.

As you can see I am getting excited ...

I will be able to handle any job[solo or trio] with just this keyboard...

If I need to handle a request, that is not sequenced...I have about 50 rhythms with markers[like a drum machine], that I can use with left hand bass and right hand piano/strings etc.

I am about 50% ready..I will give an update next week..

I am really thinking the G70 must be a great keyboard, with all these features, plus arranger and organ features..

I can see how many dismissed the DisCover series[me too , some what]..But "DisCovering" the potential and quality is bringing a smile to my face..

One board, under 30 pounds, a mic and a powered speaker....This is my easy "GO TO" setup for my small jobs and maybe all the big jobs too..

#174755 - 01/04/06 09:14 PM Re: The concept of Discover 5
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
As you can see I am getting excited ...

...I have about 50 rhythms with markers[like a drum machine]

Good for you, Fran. It's always good to get excited about something. Are those 50 rhythms part of the board, or SMFs that you created? As I recall, the onboard drums are just so-so?

Glenn

#174756 - 01/05/06 04:31 AM Re: The concept of Discover 5
Fran Carango Offline

Glenn, Both..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 01-05-2006).]

#174757 - 01/05/06 04:31 AM Re: The concept of Discover 5
zuki Offline

The Roland demonstrator booth at 2003 NAMM blew be away! The vocal harmonizer showcased was terrific and my jaw dropped when I heard a James Taylor tune sung with harmonies. Hmmm...now I'm excited again.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#174758 - 01/05/06 06:22 AM Re: The concept of Discover 5
Dnj Offline

Fran....good luck I knew you would make a return to the Discover 5, its a perfect featured fit for you & your setup, & its ROLAND!!
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=8&subcatid=39&prodid=DisCover+5

See ya soon for lunch

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-05-2006).]

#174759 - 01/05/06 03:29 PM Re: The concept of Discover 5
Fran Carango Offline

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online