SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#174321 - 12/13/04 01:28 PM Pedal problem #1
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Does anyone else out there seem to go through sustain pedals every few months?

I use the standard Yamaha issue metal sustain medal but after 4-6 months, something goes wrong and it no longer works correctly.

They're not expensive, but still...I have 3 sustain pedals and 2 now are broke...

Ideas?

Suggestions?

Bill in Dayton

#174322 - 12/13/04 01:52 PM Re: Pedal problem #1
Dnj Offline

try the boss FS5

I love mine I use two...they lock together ....built like a tank! http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSFS5L

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-13-2004).]

#174323 - 12/13/04 01:54 PM Re: Pedal problem #1
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I use Roland DP2 sustain pedals and also MPM[made in Italy] pedals...they last more than fives years, some are more than ten years..Same with my Roland EV5 pedals..

#174324 - 12/14/04 04:41 AM Re: Pedal problem #1
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I assume you mean the "FS5" flat switch.

The problem I've had with all such switches (although I've not had the Yamaha so might be talking out of my **** here) is that the switch inside is usually a keyboard switch which relies on the mechanical design and integrity of the surrounding unit to prevent the switch being overstressed and then breaking. If the housing gets warped / bent / bashed such that the switch starts getting mechanically abused it will fail very quickly.

Of course, I could be heavy footed....

But after breaking two "generic" flat-style footswitches in 2 months, I bit the bullet and purchased a Roland DP6 (similar to the Yamaha FC4 in design). It uses a microswitch internally and is built like a brick external tool storage facility. I had to rewire it work with my Ensoniq (but then they've always been different...)

I've had it for 5 years now, used every weekend. No sign of any mechanical or electrical deterioration other than external scuff marks. If the switch should fail then it's a standard type of microswitch so I'm sure I could fix it. If the unit breaks mechanically I would (a) be very surprised and (b) buy another one without question.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online