SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17431 - 08/19/99 03:25 AM O5R/W only works on one MIDI channel
worknman Offline

Loc: TX
Hi,
Trying to set up Cakewalk 7.0 as a sequencer for the 05R/W. I have the Global MIDI setting (02A) on channel 1. That's all it will receive on. If I switch to track 2 and set it to a dif. channel and attempt to record, there's nothing. How do I get this thing to play/record on more than one channel, or is it even capable of doing this?

#17432 - 08/19/99 11:57 AM Re: O5R/W only works on one MIDI channel
Lee Offline

I am not sure about your question regarding
the "recording" of MIDI data from the O5R/W since it has no keyboard, but in order to configure the module to respond to MIDI data from your sequencer on multiple channels you must utilize the MULTI mode and there you can assign each sound program to its own MIDI channel corresponding to the various tracks of the sequencer. I believe that COMBI mode can be utilized to allow the O5R/W to respond to multiple controllers each transmitting on a different MIDI channel thus providing shared access for live playing situations.

Most of this information is described in the User Manual. If you don't have one, get one and read it; although uninspiring it should be accurate - my X5D documentation is.

I hope this helps. If I have lead you astray at all I'm sure that someone will correct any misconceptions I have conveyed.

Stay after it - you're almost there.

#17433 - 08/19/99 10:39 PM Re: O5R/W only works on one MIDI channel
WS Offline

besides being in MULTI (or sequence mode...not sure what it would be called for your synth) you will also have to select the effects. You will have a maximum of 2. You might want to chose whatever the piano is using (basic reverb) to start with.

#17434 - 08/20/99 12:37 AM Re: O5R/W only works on one MIDI channel
Ward Music Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Press the MULTI/GLOBAL button (so that it ISNT flashing).

The preset effects for the MULTI mode are a hall reverb and chorus, which should work OK for most sounds.

In the MULTI mode, the GLOBAL channel doesn't make any difference.

#17435 - 08/20/99 02:00 AM Re: O5R/W only works on one MIDI channel
worknman Offline

Ok, now that you guys have helped me discover multi mode, channels are now working. However, there are two other issues at work. One I think I can figure out on my own, but the other I'm not sure about.
All the cool, lush sounds in Bank A that I want to use to record with are losing their 'punch' in multi mode. What I mean is, it sounds like everything is in mono or only one osc is being used. This isn't so evident in pianos/basses and stuff, but on the real rich sounds, it is quite evident.
Is this a limitation of my sound card (SB Live Value), a 'feature' in my sequencer I can turn off (Cakewalk 7), or a limitation of the Korg itself?
I apologize for the basic quesions. I am quite new at this and unfortunately, bought the 05R/W used without a manual. I do plan to get one soon, but trying to get some of this stuff down in the meantime

#17436 - 08/20/99 02:10 AM Re: O5R/W only works on one MIDI channel
worknman Offline

Ok, forget I posted that last message. By going into the effects and changing 'Sen' from 2/2 to 8/8, everything sounds ok again. I have no idea what the hell this setting is, but as long as it works, I'm happy

#17437 - 08/20/99 10:35 PM Re: O5R/W only works on one MIDI channel
Ward Music Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
The lack of 'lushness' on each of the sounds is due to each of the programs in the program mode using a unique, customized effects pair. When you go into Multi mode, all 16 channels share the same 2 effects processors. There is no way around this. The send 8/8 you are talking about turns up the 'send' level (the input level) of each part into the effects pair, which are doing chorus and reverb.

Each sound can have a send level for the first and second effect processor (send C and D) between 0 and 9.

Steve Martin
Ward Music Ltd.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online