SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#173982 - 04/24/05 03:42 AM Questions re. the Roland G 70
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Yesterday I had a chance to try the G 70 in a music store; the thing that impressed me most was the key feel, which I found really suited for my style of playing. The Roland website says that the G 70 has a "Pro Action" type of keyboard, with a longer stroke and I can testify that the difference with other keyboards is really evident. Now I wonder: aside from older arrangers, like the VA 76 or the G 1000, are there other Roland keyboards that use the same keybed? The Fantom X 7 maybe?
Second question: can a G 70 owner comment on its functions as a master keyboard? How good is it to control external modules? Does it allow to store bank and program changes for each registrations stored in memory?
Thanks in advance.
Andrea

#173983 - 04/25/05 02:47 PM Re: Questions re. the Roland G 70
Dreamer Offline

I am bumping this topic hoping that someone from Roland Italy will read it and maybe will answer.

#173984 - 04/25/05 04:12 PM Re: Questions re. the Roland G 70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I seem to remember the old A70 controller keyboard had the same action, other than that - just the G-1000/VA-76.

A great pity - I think it's the best plastic action in the world (I have a G-1000)............ I play for sometimes up to 10 hours a day professionally and the keyboard remains comfortable and responsive. It has the right shape for piano playing, and round enough ends for B3 smears without catching your palms.

As for the G-70's controller capabilities, well, the G1000 is very good - each user registration (performance preset in Roland-speak) basically memorizes the entire state of the keyboard including song and arranger links and all program changes, volume pan and effect settings, keyboard sensitivity in each zone etc., etc. - basically one button and go! So a big thumbs up.

Just one problem - with CK division dealers trying to ratchet up the price to $4500 or so, I don't see it becoming popular enough over here for a lot of new style development and bugfixes past the initial few (the G1000 had few updates and probably will outsell the G-70)

Roland - the word is out....... we know what MSRP and MAP are for this unit. You MUST reign in the greed of your CK division dealers or lose this sector to Korg and Yamaha.

------------------
There are 10 kinds of people
that understand binary - those
who do and those who don't.

#173985 - 04/26/05 04:37 AM Re: Questions re. the Roland G 70
Dreamer Offline

Diki,
many thanks for your detailed reply; so, if I have understood correctly, you are saying that for each performance preset the G 1000 can send bank and program changes to external devices (modules) as well?
This is very important to me, because I had been thinking to buy the RD 700 SX for its master keyboard functions, but after playing the G 70 I have to say that I like its action much more!
Thanks in advance
A.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online