SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#173966 - 07/06/07 02:23 AM Multiple Audio Cards and USB 2.0
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Just for start one fresh technical topic without fight...

Finally, after month of waiting, seem that the Linux developers have fixed my OLD features request for the Mediastation.

I have Windows XP OS too, but seem that there still is NOT possible install multiple Audio cards and mixing the all IN/OUT's under one application, because Win OS still dont have the drivers for install virtual cards.
( IF i'm wrong, please just let me know how is possible configure that, because I need to resolve this problem under XP too)

Under Linux OS now this is possible, the Jack ALSA developer have developed the patch and drivers for creating multiple Virtual PCI cards and external USB 2.0 cards. http://www.sound-man.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html

Under this new setup, that we wil release under the new ISO 2.0: http://www.lionstracs.com/store/msiso-20-p-179.html
the Mediastation is able to connect under USB 2.0 multiple Soundd cards, Like the all M-AUDIO or Pre Sounus Audio cards.
I made here some test with the M-Audio Audiophile USB and is working really nice.

Under this new drivers and the powerfull of the USB 2.0, you can connect how many external audio cards you like for expanding in realtime the all audio Inputs/Outputs ( or MIC ) that you need.
This for example for routing one external Lexicon hardware reverb, FX processors, TC-Electronics Voice tools... under the full MS JACK control.

With the AM2 CPU and USB 2.0 the system is really fast and still remain the 2.9ms latency.

Of couse we have still a lot of work for develope the new MS styles...but for this all new features the MS is really unique...

If you have some other OS suggestion let me know
regards

#173967 - 07/06/07 11:33 PM Re: Multiple Audio Cards and USB 2.0
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Lionstracs
You will probably be better posting this on the Software Forum, however Windows XP has been able to use multiple sound cards (Internal and external) since it was launched.
I will have a good read of your post when I have some spare time and see if there are any free options available for mixing. (Most decent audio sequencer software can do it)
Hope this helps

Bill

#173968 - 07/07/07 12:39 PM Re: Multiple Audio Cards and USB 2.0
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Abacus is right about XP. I use 2 sound cards in my PC, one for gaming which rarely gets used these days and the other for audio recording.

#173969 - 07/07/07 11:11 PM Re: Multiple Audio Cards and USB 2.0
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Yes, this I know too.
Under XP you can install more soundcards BUT you can not use the all cards under ONE application.
I have here Cubase SX, Nuendo, Logic 5.5.. but when I start it I can choose only ONE soundcard of the two Delta 1010.
The mixing system will remain always under one soundcard.
With the same hardware but installed the Linux OS with this patch, we was able to see under Jack connection ket the all 20 Inputs and 20 outputs + the USB Audiophile M-Audio audio card.
All the music multiple application opened was able to share the all IN/OUT in the 3 audio cards togheter.

My question was aking you IF under XP give one virtual driver solution that will merge the all instelled audio cards for ONE application, like Cubase or Nuendo.
I wil try to fix this issue under wirnows OS too.

#173970 - 07/08/07 06:56 AM Re: Multiple Audio Cards and USB 2.0
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Lionstracs
I have done some research, and it appears that the ASIO driver specification only allows the use of 1 soundcard at a time, (However some soundcard manufactures have apparently hacked the ASIO driver to allow you to use multiple soundcards simultaneously) so I am afraid that unless it is supported by the soundcard driver it cannot be done with ASIO.
This is not a Windows OS problem, as if you use WDM drivers, you can use as many soundcards as you like simultaneously, and any quality sequencer program will see all the cards as one.
For further information pop over to the various soundcard manufactures sites.
Hope this helps

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online