Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#173919 - 06/20/06 11:47 AM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
What colors many peoples' opinions here depends on their experience as keyboard players.........

Very nicely stated. To save room I didn't reprint the whole post, however, I think it was on target.

Regards,

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#173920 - 06/20/06 12:31 PM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Mozilla FireFox has been given a few people here many bad problems also ... I deleted it long ago & stick with MS Explorer!

I found Mozilla Firefox to be a big. Extremely large and very slow. I kept having to wait for it to respond, when I opened it. I'm back to MS Explorer as well. Who would have thought that MS makes a better product!!
Starkeeper

#173921 - 06/20/06 08:33 PM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
What colors many peoples' opinions here depends on their experience as keyboard players.........

Have you ever played in a REAL band?
Have you ever played in a GOOD live band?
Were you the best player in a good live band?

Different (honest) answers to these questions can color your opinion of an arranger.

If you've never played in a full band, you're probably trying to sound like a CD.
If you've played in a live band, that's probably the dynamic you are looking for.
If you weren't the best player in the band, you are probably looking for an arranger that takes care of nearly all the parts for you, and provides inspiring accompaniment.
If you were the best player in the band, you are looking for more supportive, sideman accompaniment, not overwhelming your contribution.

Different needs take different arrangers. None are 'best', just some are 'best' at a particular task.

Far to many Tyros2 owners claim their 'board rules because when they sit down and play it, no matter what skill level they are at, it sounds fantastic. Never mind the fact that the machine is doing nearly all the work - you could virtually get a gig just playing chords and singing, you don't need a right hand at all! You sound just like a CD......... brilliant!

However, for many of you with greater skills, the Tyros' ability to overwhelm you is an obstacle, not a benefit. You want to sound like YOU, not a Tyros.......... You want to sound like a band, NOT a CD..........

But for each type, THEIR choice is the best keyboard. The hard part comes in acknowledging the other's point of view and needs........... Perhaps if we were more honest in posting our skill levels and experience, these pissing contest here would fade to a distasteful memory, and we could get on with the task of helping each other become better MUSICIANS, not keyboard salesmen.

Good observations, good analysis and advice, and well said!!

#173922 - 06/20/06 09:20 PM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Far to many Tyros2 owners claim their 'board rules because when they sit down and play it, no matter what skill level they are at, it sounds fantastic

This claim is NOT limited to Tyros2 owners, but owners of all other brands of (Ketron, Korg, GEM, Roland, Casio, etc) ARRANGER style keyboards as well. That said, as a Tyros2 owner myself, I'd never make such an ABSURD claim. Though some Tyros2 owners (and other brand arrangers kb owners as well) may claim even people with minimal keyboard skills (left hand: one finger mode) can create fantastic sounding music on an arranger, in my personal opinion, it takes actually playing the keyboards parts LIVE (both LEFT & RT hands), with the auto accomp merely acting as a supporting rhythm section, plus triggering fills & multipads riffs live, to bring the sound of arranger keyboard performance to a pro sounding performance level, albeit uniquely arranger style own. My background: played piano (since 4), majored in music in college, and performed in bands (as vocalist & keyboardist) for a number of years. The primary reason I switched to one man/duo act arranger entertainment is because it means less hassle (and loss time) for band rehearsals, typical band member personality conflicts, and the ability to take in (for myself) the amt of $ a band would have to share amongst themselves. The unfortunate downside is having to carry the whole show by yourself, and the lack of the musical interaction (music making inspiration between band members) that occurs when playing with pro level musicians. That said, I still enjoy picking up occasional gigs performing with a live band.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 06-20-2006).]

#173923 - 06/21/06 06:05 PM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I completely agree, Scott, I only offered up the Tyros2 users as the pinnacle of the iceberg, not the entire mass! But you have to admit that, probably the Tyros2 hobbyists have a clear edge in sounding 'CD-like' out-of-the-box compared to, say, a PA1X or G70, and as such, often colors their impression.

It's just that lately the forum seems to be de-evolving to a state of 'mine's bigger than yours' and I thought I'd like to dampen that a little. As is often the case, the more strident the supporter, the lesser the experience level (usually). Most pros will reluctantly admit that probably the best music they heard played wasn't necessarily performed on the latest, greatest technology. It's how you use what you HAVE got that distinguishes the professional.

Remember, the hobbyists expectation of sound and function differ drastically to the pro's....... yet many post here as if their opinion brooks no argument. I would just like to see them 'fess up a bit more about their experience before they opine definitively on the 'best' arranger...... (or why MY choice sucks!!)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online