SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#173889 - 06/17/06 10:28 AM This keyboard is much better than that one
to the genesys Offline

Is there even such a thing today?

When looking for a pro keyboard arranger, are we asking the right questions?
And would answers really give us the true answer?

Shouldn’t we be trying to find out “which keyboard would work best for me?”
To find out this we must find out some things about our: personality, our musical skill level, our technical abilities, our musical taste, what types of keyboards we have had in the pass and what type of OS we are accustom to and what our gigs require.

As helpful as keyboard reviews and forums like this one are, they give the prospective keyboard purchaser a false impression that it is the keyboard that makes the difference. Also you are hearing comments on keyboards based on other people’s passed experience with other keyboards, musical and technical abilities, and willingness to learn something new and to program, musical taste and lots of other things.

I guess I wanted to start this topic after having all the recent discussions about “which keyboard has the better sounds”, “which keyboard has the easiest OS”, “which keyboard manufacturer has the best online demo”.…. And then Fran’s demonstrations that an 8-year old Roland G1000 can still hold its own in today’s market place and DNJ’s most recent thoughts on the Tyros 2 makes me thing that the question is not as simple as “which keyboard is better”.
Also, does “out of the box” sounds and style matter today with all the easiness and editability of onboard sounds and the ability to load samples.

Lets face it, most if not all or the high-end arrangers are probably the same in their ease and difficulty of use.
It just depends on what we have been exposed to, what we are accustom to and how we process information.

So when I hear statements like, “this keyboard has the easiest OS” it really does not tell me anything other than this is what I am used to. It is even worse if you have not spent time with other manufacturer’s keyboard.

Also, generally, the high-end arrangers will have comparable good sounding sounds that will require some tweaking (we have all seen that regardless of manufacture). Just because a manufacture markets a specific type of sound technology or has a great demo on its web page does not automatically mean that it will be good for you.

It is only by spending some time with the instrument (not just 15 minutes in a noisy and distracting keyboard shop) to hear the sounds, see if the ability to tweak sounds and styles to your liking are on that keyboard and see if the OS is something that you can cope with.

Yamaha, Korg, Gem, Roland, Ketron, Wersi, and Lionstracks all have great high-end arrangers. It is up to prospective buyers to physically see, hear and feel the keyboard IN PERSON to get an idea whether or not the keyboard is best for his or her personality, musical skill level, technical abilities, musical taste, what types of keyboards the person has had in the pass and what type of OS the person is accustom to and what the gig requires.

What do you think?

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 06-17-2006).]

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 06-17-2006).]

#173890 - 06/17/06 11:06 AM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
To the Genesys..I agree with you , except where you killed the Wersi name

#173891 - 06/17/06 11:51 AM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
To the Geneys

Ahh the refreshing voice of reason, well said.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Mainer (edited 06-17-2006).]

#173892 - 06/17/06 12:49 PM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
tarkington Offline

Loc: Fontana, CA, USA
When the Tyros2 came out I was fascinated by the improved mega voice technology. I purchased the Tyros 2 and used it for one month finding its styles distinctive but not “my sound”. Even with extensive editing (mostly removing) instruments in the styles, I found myself fighting the keyboard so as not to sound too cheesy. I quickly sold it on eBay, and bought a Roland G-70 (for less cost). For the past 5 months I have settled into the Roland G-70. It leaves space for “my sound” as a keyboard player to evolve during performances and my playing seems more musical. I know it’s a personal choice and both are fine instruments.

#173893 - 06/17/06 01:01 PM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
Dnj Offline

Tarkingtone ........glad your enjoying your G70...can you post a few G70 tunes for us ...we dont hear many G70 songs on here I would love to hear the KB played live...

Thanx

#173894 - 06/18/06 12:42 AM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
Wis Offline

The openingmessage of this thread has my full support. It is a very good statement.

#173895 - 06/18/06 01:45 AM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Quote:
Originally posted by tarkington:
When the Tyros2 came out I was fascinated by the improved mega voice technology. I purchased the Tyros 2 and used it for one month finding its styles distinctive but not “my sound”. Even with extensive editing (mostly removing) instruments in the styles, I found myself fighting the keyboard so as not to sound too cheesy. I quickly sold it on eBay, and bought a Roland G-70 (for less cost). For the past 5 months I have settled into the Roland G-70. It leaves space for “my sound” as a keyboard player to evolve during performances and my playing seems more musical. I know it’s a personal choice and both are fine instruments.

Targington,
We are the diametrical examples of what has been said by others - "best" is in the eye of the beholder allied with each of our past experiences. I started with the G-70, within several months quit it and moved on to Tyros 2!!!
regards
Keith

#173896 - 06/18/06 03:33 AM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
no!!!!!!!!!!! my keyboard really is the best . Honest !!!!! The voices in my head told me last night !!!!!

#173897 - 06/18/06 03:42 AM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
With all the technology available,why is the learning curve sooo difficult on a lot of the new boards?
Very few dealers carry a large variety of boards and so will push the ones they have ,bearing in mind their opinions differ as do ours,thats the good thing about this site,you get more than 1 opinion as opposed to the shops.mike

#173898 - 06/18/06 03:58 AM Re: This keyboard is much better than that one
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Personally I find most of the posts informative, I just have to separate the ones who are at war from the ones who are trying to give their opinions. As far as Fran goes, I like the guy and his G1000, I think he adds color to the forum. Now I must decide what color –Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

The best TV, the best Baseball team, the best keyboard, it’s all good.

IMHO, John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 06-18-2006).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online