SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#173661 - 03/02/04 08:58 PM New MP3s...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Just posted five new MP3s on my website, all recorded through one of those cheesy keyed Yamaha PSR-2000s, on a dirt-cheap, OEM sound card that came with my off the shelf Compaq Presario 5001, and some nasty midi files that were played through a second-hand laptop hooked up to the keyboard's host connectors. Oh, I almost fogot--also used a $39, off-the-shelf recording program to do the job.

I could have lied and told everyone that I used some fancy rig that cost as much as the national debt, but I decided against it. You'll find them at http://www.bcpl.net/~keyboard/mp3s.htm

Enjoy,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 03-02-2004).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#173662 - 03/02/04 09:58 PM Re: New MP3s...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
I could picture Dino sliding down the fire pole at the beginning of his show. Nice work Gary. Am I hearing C# for the Dean Martin number? Suits your voice very well. I've got renditions of Roy Orbison on my site: Demo2 and a Sting cover Demo5
Again, very nice voice Gary.
http://members.shaw.ca/shboom

------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 03-02-2004).]

#173663 - 03/02/04 10:43 PM Re: New MP3s...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Gary, really enjoy your 'laid back' vocal approach ala Dean and competant keyboard playing, especially considering you say you never had formal music lessons, right? You and the PSR2000 make a good marriage. I'm interested in hearing how you recorded these songs. Did you record both the vocals & keyboard parts in live simultaneously, or were the backing tracks recorded (on the PSR2000) first, or were the backing tracks commercial midi files you played along to? Either way, very professional sounding. - Scott

#173664 - 03/02/04 11:01 PM Re: New MP3s...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I especially liked Cab Driver Gary. Very well done.

Best regards,
Mike

#173665 - 03/03/04 12:02 AM Re: New MP3s...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Gary,
beautiful songs, sung with a lot of sentiment and expression. It's hard to pick up a favorite between "Everybody loves somebody" and "Night and day".
I agree with the others that your delivering technique reminds of the great "italian" singer Dino Crocetti (Dean Martin).

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 03-03-2004).]

#173666 - 03/03/04 12:21 AM Re: New MP3s...
KN2600 Offline

Loc: CA
Damn bro..you can def. sing...Big ups to you man. You def. got talent. I'm lovin' all the songs, would sound even better if it was studio recorded and if you used a Technics KN2600...lol...anyway great job! keep bringin' the good stuff!

#173667 - 03/03/04 03:53 AM Re: New MP3s...
trtjazz Offline

Gary
Cab Driver: The mix sounds thin and cold to me, not alot of depth. Everything panned on center, so the band sounds like they are all sitting on top of each other.

Can't Smile Without You: This cut is a bit warmer, but the same on panning. The vocals are further back in the mix than the first cut.

Everybody Loves Somebody: Vocals better and warmer on this one, rest of the mix the same as the other two.

Key Largo: Same on the mix. I believe the original of this used more powerful vocal dynamics and drama as it went from verse to chorus to be more effective. This has a sameness sound as it transitions.

Night And Day: Mix the same but I think your vocals are more suited for this type of cut and sound better here.

Overall not bad. I think the mixes can be made more effective and believable though. Pretty clean, but not much depth or presence. There are spots in the vocals on each cut that it sounds like you may miss the higher note by a semi tone as well.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#173668 - 03/03/04 05:07 AM Re: New MP3s...
Dnj Offline

Bravo! Nice job.....
I hope to hear more songs in the future.
Website looking good Mon!!

#173669 - 03/03/04 06:48 AM Re: New MP3s...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks for the kudos guys and gals. As for the recording technique, backing tracks with some personal touches. Put the vocals on another track and combined everything. Terry, there is some loss of fidelity between the MP3s and WAVs--the WAV's sound fuller. I guess that's all part of the compression problem.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#173670 - 03/03/04 08:09 AM Re: New MP3s...
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Grrreat voice Gary! You crooner you... effortless delivery.

Would it be possible to convert a couple of your original WAVs to 128 kbps 44.1kHz MP3? Would love to hear that, server space permitting of course.

Really nice Gary, thanks for sharing...

All the best,
Rich

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online