SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173436 - 01/27/04 07:26 AM PC HD Data Backup: Online Data Backup Services - Recommended/SAFE?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
We all know how critically important it is for all of us to keep all the data on our PC hard drive backed up on a regular (daily) basis. Some people use Symantec Ghost http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/ or Symantec Drive Image 7 http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/ to perform this task. I currently use Drive Image 7.

The problem with these programs is that it can become a time consuming chore because you have to load/swap CD/DVD disks as the backup takes place, especially when backing up your entire HD (up to 80 GB).

Because I have a pretty fast internet connection (DSL), I'm seriously considering using an online offsite data backup service to upload (backup) my entire hard drive data to. This can also be scheduled to occur automatically (in the background) or at night while you're asleep.

Does anyone here use or recommend an oline data backup service which allows you to 'automatically' send files via the internet to their supposedly secure data centers. Are these services really 'safe' and secure? What are the risks?

Here is one company (Tech24) that Symantec Corp appears to recommend: http://www.tech24.com/help/tools/backup/individual.asp#

Thanks for feedback, input, and recommendations. - Scott

#173437 - 01/27/04 01:18 PM Re: PC HD Data Backup: Online Data Backup Services - Recommended/SAFE?
Roel Offline

Hi Scott,
I myself also use Drive-image ONLY for the boot-drive (C . I only do/did this once immediately after the system contains all programs/patches I need, including OS of course.
The amount of bytes is not extremely big and always fits on 1 DVD. (<4.5Gig)
This image is very useful while bringing your system back to your 'factory setup'.

I always store the data (docs, midis, pictures etc.) on a NOT bootdrive because when there is a need to reformat C: , the user data stays intact.

You also can store an image file on drive D: or E: as an extra.

I would NEVER NEVER make backups through the internet because it will take ages to send- or restore data and who will guarantee your data is not 'public' ?

Incremental backups are not big and can simple be stored on CD's or DVD's.

Creating an extra set of backup DVD's and storing them elsewhere (relatives or friends) is OK.... just to be sure you have backups in all cases.

Roel

#173438 - 01/27/04 01:39 PM Re: PC HD Data Backup: Online Data Backup Services - Recommended/SAFE?
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hi Scott,

If you want to backup your data on a daily basis, why not get a tape backup device and schedule the service to perform the task every night ?
Claude

#173439 - 01/28/04 12:20 AM Re: PC HD Data Backup: Online Data Backup Services - Recommended/SAFE?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
You could always get a second hard disc and back up to that!

#173440 - 01/28/04 09:22 AM Re: PC HD Data Backup: Online Data Backup Services - Recommended/SAFE?
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
The 2nd hard disk idea is a very good approach IMO. HD is now very cheap and offers the fastest backup possible. It is very safe because it is very unlikely you crash both your hard disk at the same time.

I believe most savy computer users do it this way. In fact, some high end servers that stores critical data do it this way. They have mirror disk drives for backups within the same machine.

My strategy was always separating my data from the "others" (programs, etc). So, everynight, I had a backup program that saves only the data. As for the "others", everytime I install a new program and got it to work satisfactorily, I will make a mirror image of the hard disk. This way it saves storage space and very efficient.

I think backing up via internet is not a good strategy - too slow.

#173441 - 01/28/04 09:36 AM Re: PC HD Data Backup: Online Data Backup Services - Recommended/SAFE?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks to all for your advice. It definitely sounds like a secondary (in my case, a 3rd) hard drive is the best & safest solution for HD backup. My problem though, is whether my computer (Dell Dimension 8200) will be able to support (enough free IRQs?) adding a 3rd HD. - Scott

#173442 - 01/28/04 03:04 PM Re: PC HD Data Backup: Online Data Backup Services - Recommended/SAFE?
lukitoh Offline

You can just buy a new bigger hard drive and store both the contents of your hard disk in that new drive. Then use one of your older drive as the backup.

If you split the data from the "others" then you can store a lot of things on a much smaller drive because imaging software and backups software usually does good job at compacting files.

#173443 - 01/28/04 03:54 PM Re: PC HD Data Backup: Online Data Backup Services - Recommended/SAFE?
Roel Offline

Scott,
A 3rd Harddisk only needs an IDE-port OR a free SCSI-connection..... IRQ's are not needed.

Please realize an operational HDD can be destroyed by system-failures or virusses....just like all other data-storage devices connected to your computer. An infected 'backup' is NO backup !!

I still prefer backups on a (closed session) DVD, because virusses cannot affect them. If your pc gets on fire ...a 3rd drive does not help much

Roel

#173444 - 01/28/04 04:18 PM Re: PC HD Data Backup: Online Data Backup Services - Recommended/SAFE?
lukitoh Offline

Well, if your dvd's also destroyed in fire-bad luck. I think you can also transmit the virus on your dvd - so nothing can be immune from that problem.

The best is to also store it in another pc. At my home I have two pc's and I also backup my HD to another pc HD and vice versa over the network line - fast and easy. It does it everynight without me really have to do anything. This is just in case my PC got struck with a lightning which is highly improbable. I also backup to CD for very critical files every month or so.

#173445 - 01/28/04 04:50 PM Re: PC HD Data Backup: Online Data Backup Services - Recommended/SAFE?
Roel Offline

Lukitoh,
We all understand what's critical here : The originals and backups should be stored in different places.
Your method of creating backups (from one to another PC and vv) in my view is a 'dangerous' one. Imagine what happens when an unknown (deadly)virus srikes one of the machines and is able to reach the other one through the network...... you could lose weeks of data in a few seconds !!

The best method :
Create a daily backup...e.g. incremental to tape/CD. On top of that a double weekly data-backup to CD/DVD and remove it from the systems (!). Store both discs on different locations...... Now you are able to 'roll back' to working situations....many weeks back... when needed.
It will cost a little money because you need 2 CD/DVD's every week, but it's nothing compared to the time it would cost to refind/redo the lost files.

Rewritables are NOT as reliable as normal discs.

Roel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online